Gym Anxiety!!! HALP!

I'm a loser. (Or I want to be) - pun intended

I have a gym membership that my work generously pays for. I want to go- I literally have no excuse not to but despite the lack of actual issues- I always come up with something.

I want to try Zumba but I don't have anyone to go with and going alone sounds almost traumatic.

I'll be completely honest here- this isn't even a weight issue. I've just always gotten scared in groups/activities that are new or unfamiliar. Once I do something for the first time, the anxiety is typically gone. I just can't get up the balls to walk into the classroom by myself! There's a class Saturday morning... pointers on how to not be lame and stay in????

Replies

• KristaJeanMFP
    KristaJeanMFP Posts: 70 Member
    Has anyone tried Zumba? Thoughts?
  • leopardeyes72
    leopardeyes72 Posts: 39 Member
    I love Zumba it is so fun I work out at curves and I have met a lot of good people you can go on utube and try it at home and you will see try it you might love it
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    If you know that after you go the first time that you are fine, then just suck it up and go - get it out of the way and just do it.
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    i actually walked out of a zumba class because i was terrible, but that being said i was scared to death to do body pump alone, and when i finally did, i loved it and made a ton of gym buddies!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Since your work pays for your gym membership, maybe see if some of your coworkers would like to join you. Or you could even ask a friend outside of work to go. Most gyms are happy to give your friend a free trial class if you ask ahead of time.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I'm a loser. (Or I want to be) - pun intended

I have a gym membership that my work generously pays for. I want to go- I literally have no excuse not to but despite the lack of actual issues- I always come up with something.

I want to try Zumba but I don't have anyone to go with and going alone sounds almost traumatic.

I'll be completely honest here- this isn't even a weight issue. I've just always gotten scared in groups/activities that are new or unfamiliar. Once I do something for the first time, the anxiety is typically gone. I just can't get up the balls to walk into the classroom by myself! There's a class Saturday morning... pointers on how to not be lame and stay in????

I know how you feel! I've only ever done it at home.

Maybe learning some steps ahead of class would help remove some of the anxiety?

I love this lady's Zumba videos: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qa2IWYs3ags

Some more zumba vids I love:
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    I totally relate to the anxiety of trying new things, it is terrible. I have suffered from it most all my life, but that being said, I just tell myself what is the worst thing that can happen, and realize that no, I will not die from this, and then I JUST do it. I attended a Boot Camp class last year, and it was the same anxiety, but I did it for 2 months, about 4 years ago, I could not find anyone to go hiking with, so I started doing it alone, going on 9 mile hikes up mountains on the Appalachian Trail, and for the last 4 years I do that about once a month. It is always the same, anxiety driving there, but then I have the most wonderful time. So that is my advice to you, yes, there is anxiety, but YOU CAN do it and YOU will be so proud of yourself afterward and your body will thank you!!!!! let us know how you do.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    You can wear a disguise.. If you are terrible the first time then you will be familiar with the moves and you will better to walk back in the next time as yourself!

But all in all, don't you think others have had first time gitters as well, remember we were all newbies at something one time or another!! Just pick a day when you are feeling your most confident and get in there like you know the place and say the heck with it all.. You will meet new friends, get some exercise done and feel a lot better for it afterward.. Nothing to loose, its a win win!

If not, find something else you will enjoy preferably alone and something you WILL enjoy doing, no need to stress about it, you don't have to do it unless you want to (really want to)..
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    I understand your fears, but I'm here to tell you, there is no need for them. No reason not to go alone - once the class starts, it's not a social event. People don't talk - they dance, they sweat, they laugh at themselves, but they don't judge you. They're either focused on all their own insecurities, or they're focused on the workout. No one is even going to notice you.

I went to the same class three times a week for months and the only person I remember was the teacher, and a ballerina, who was recovering from an injury, so she was taking our class. She was hard not to notice because she had the most overstated perfect graceful form that was ridiculously out of place in our bumbling class.

Zumba is tons of fun and unless you also happen to have an injury-recovering professional dancer in your class, no one is good. Zumba classes are not attended by people who are ready for So You Think You Can Dance. They're attended by the people who love to dance, and think it's a fun way to exercise.

Let go, have fun. I know it's a very difficult thing to overcome, but the greatest life lesson you can learn is your life is yours and what other people think of it don't matter in the slightest. Whenever I find myself slipping back into my insecure ways, I remind myself of the very wise words of Dr. Seuss - "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
  • KristaJeanMFP
    I totally relate to the anxiety of trying new things, it is terrible. I have suffered from it most all my life, but that being said, I just tell myself what is the worst thing that can happen, and realize that no, I will not die from this, and then I JUST do it. I attended a Boot Camp class last year, and it was the same anxiety, but I did it for 2 months, about 4 years ago, I could not find anyone to go hiking with, so I started doing it alone, going on 9 mile hikes up mountains on the Appalachian Trail, and for the last 4 years I do that about once a month. It is always the same, anxiety driving there, but then I have the most wonderful time. So that is my advice to you, yes, there is anxiety, but YOU CAN do it and YOU will be so proud of yourself afterward and your body will thank you!!!!! let us know how you do.

Thank you for the positive words! I know it's just as simple as going. But the initial anxiety is crushing! I know I will make it to the class tomorrow.... I'm just freaking out. lol Thanks again.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Just go have fun and start at the back of the class. Before you know it you will addicted to Zumba and will start teaching it part-time. Seriously!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    It's a dance class. You move your feet and shake your butt. Just go. Save your anxiety for the post office and the DMV.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's a dance class. You move your feet and shake your butt. Just go. Save your anxiety for the post office and the DMV.

Ugh. I just shuttered reading that. Brought back terrible flashbacks of when I went to the post office to get my passport a few months back!

Anyways, OP, just make a vow to get ready in your gym gear and at least arrive at the gym. You can always leave and not attend the class. But chances are, since you are already at the gym, you would be less likely to just go right back home.

I've done that before when I just don't feel like working out. I just tell myself to make the effort to actually go to the gym and that I can always just turn right back around and go home if I'm still not feeling it. I always end up staying!
  • KristaJeanMFP
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Just go have fun and start at the back of the class. Before you know it you will addicted to Zumba and will start teaching it part-time. Seriously!!

They have it four nights a week at my gym!
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    It is so hard, especially with anxiety issues to put yourself in that kind of position.

But remember... the people in the class 1) were probably just like you when they started 2) are there for themselves and won't notice or care if you don't know what you're doing.

I did zumba before, I was awful at it (no coordination) and despite feeling like an idiot it actually was a good experience. All the people in the class were supportive and tried to help if I didn't get it

Go just once and you might just love it!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    ****Update:

ZUMBA WAS GREAT!! Going again on Tuesday. :)

Yay!! So glad it worked out! :D