eating out?

Options
2»

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Chipotle (if you have one near you) is really good and their burrito bowl is great (bed of lettuce with toppings of your choice... I recommend all veggies).
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Sonic's grilled chicken is good and Chick-fil-A isn't too bad either. If you have a Jimmy John's sub place, their unwiches (wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun) are yummy.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yep. I travel often and will second some of and elaborate on other tips...

-Research. Check out the menu online prior to going into the restaurant. Plan your meal ahead. And once planned, DON'T LOOK AT THE MENU. It will trick you. lol

-Bring your own breakfast. When I hit the road I take plain instant oatmeal and boxes of raisins to dump in them. All I need is hot water, so if I hit the 'free continental breakfast' and it's a disaster, I'm equipped. Tiny boxes of raisins are 45 cals, plain instant oatmeal is 100, so breakfast for 145 cals. If I'm feeling wild, I'll toss in a banana from the provided breakfast, that's 245 cals.

-You've heard of shop smart? Eat smart. You've been eating right for a while. Don't let an overloaded plate trick you into eating too much. Either divide the food on your plate and only eat what you've divided up or get the 'to go' box up front and pack up the extra before you start eating. Or split the meal with your husband. We do this sometimes and it's fun figuring out what we're going to share.

-Don't be seduced by salads. Summer is the time for sexy salads, but many of them are as many calories as a burger. The more stuff the salad has, the more dangerous it becomes. Always order dressing on the side. Pick off croutons or any fried stuff if it shows up unexpected.

-As others suggested, grilled meats preferably chicken or fish are optimal without loads of sauce. Broiled or baked meats are sometimes as good as grilled. Veggies on the side, broccoli is the bomb and my fail safe veggie. It's good for you and pretty low calorie. Fresh fruit instead of fries.

The hardest part is to not be tricked by the menu, specials, and the beautiful pictures in the menu. Stick to your guns and you'll be okay. :smile:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    A lot of the major chains have lower-cal options flagged in their menus.. I like the ones at Applebees for instance, although some of them are loaded with sodium.

I've also found that a lot of places will accommodate special orders as long as they're not too outrageous - they're used to accommodating special dietary needs.

Buffet's can be a good option if you can discipline yourself - with all that variety there is almost always something you can make work - most have salad bars, fresh fruit, vegetables, steamed fish and grilled chicken etc. You might have to just estimate the portion sizes.

A trip is a good time to have some protein bars or other non-perishable foodstuffs on hand, even if you don't usually eat them - they come in handy if the only other options are going to blow your program out of the water.

Good luck and have a great time!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Well, Subway is your best bet.

Also, you can go to a grocery store in the area and pick up nutritious snacks. Apples, nuts, etc...

I also suggest looking up the fast food restaurants nutritional info before hand and checking out the menu. I find if I go in with a plan then I tend to stay on track while eating out. Most chain restaurants offer full nutritional charts on their websites. Make a list of healthy options!

Good luck.
  • Taygwen
    Taygwen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If there's a fridge and microwave I would totally go to the grocery store and buy some fresh fruit and veggies and things like oatmeal and boca burgers. IDk, stuff like that. How about lean cuisines? :0)
  • kaeroxy
    kaeroxy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Under the "food" category on myfitnesspal from my phone, I start with the place I am going to eat and scan the calories. I found a great salad at Panera Bread that is under 500 calories. I also went to PF Chang;s over the weekend and ordered beef broccolli and cashew almond chicken (to share at the table) - both lower in calories than other options.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, Fuddruckers has some healthier options. I get their salads all of the time -- the Napa Valley Salad is about 450 calories without the bread. They are more filling than many of the salads that you get at some fast food restaurants. They also have leaner cuts of meat like a vegetable burger and bison. They have a salmon sandwich that I would like to try sometime.

If you're looking for someplace different. . .
  • yessiseguy
    yessiseguy Posts: 116
    Options
    Since you're specifically asking about fast food, i like to eat Wendy's baked potatoe sour cream and chives. Buy it with a side
    salad, and just add the sour cream (which is light) SKIP butter, add pepper, and maybe even add a bit
    of the side salad inside.
    Theres also places where chopped salads are served. You go in, pick ingredients, they chop them for you and mix in a cool
    bowl. Those are extremely satisfying.
    At starbucks mornings, have a skinny cinammon dolce latte and half of a bagel.
    Hope this helps