Trouble after dinner!!

Hi to all MFP ...I have recently rejoined MFP bc I put back on the 10 lbs I lost...I eat well all day...great balance but something happens at night after dinner....I crave nuts and sweets...to have a little I can't do it opens up the flood gates...any solutions? What do you do?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited July 2016
    I know I'll always want a snack on an evening, so allow for that and save some calories for those snacks. If at the end of the day I decide not to have any snacks I know I'm under my calorie allowance and if I do snack I know I'm still within my calorie allowance.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    @shinycrazy Great idea! :smile:
  • orla_holland
    orla_holland Posts: 2 Member
    Hi there, I used to crave sweet things at night and couldn't resist. Then I started having a protein based snack at around 4pm (chicken usually) and it completely killed off the cravings. I still make sure to have a really filling and tasty dinner in the evening too. Hope that helps ☺
  • jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Thank you for all the ideas on how not to snack after dinner. I will surely give them a try
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    I have this issue as well! Going to try eat dinner earlier instead of an afternoon snack then I should have more calories available at night.
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    I have this problem too! One thing i have found that is working for me is to have my evening meal when i get in from work, then go for my evening walk. Because I live up a massively steep hill, i find that by the time i get home an hour later, I'm a little hot and bothered, and find myself drinking lots of water to make up for it...! By this point I'm ready for bad, and hydrated so don't feel hungry/picky!

If the weather is rubbish, or I just don't have time, I always have a cup of hot chocolate (highlights etc) and a low fat weight watchers chocolate bar as a naughty snack, in total no more than 120 cals! :)

• fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    I've found that volume is important when snacking, for me. So, lots of strawberries or grapes or sliced apples, and/or veggie sticks with a dip like the reduced fat hummus (or full fat, if it fits), homemade tzatziki or garlic and herb, whatever flavour you prefer. Then I add on the "bad" snack at the end. I fill up on the healthier things so that when I get around to eating the chocolate or chips or whatever I'm craving, I feel full.

I'll also have a 3-cup bottle of water next to me so when I've finished eating I can start to drink and that helps to keep the full feeling going, and also kinda fills in the urge to shove food in my face hole.
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    I try to do something that will keep my hands busy and my mind occupied. I've recently taken up coloring and I can spend all evening and not know where the time went. I'm staying out of the kitchen and I'm not thinking about food. The only down side - my dog feels neglected.
  • 22Brentwoodgirl
    22Brentwoodgirl Posts: 51 Member
    I think most of us have this issue sometimes.
    I save calories and plan to snack. Then when the taste of the snack is 100% gone I brush and floss my teeth.
    I do stay out of the kitchen too!
    Good luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Meal plan better, don't buy sweets.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Save calories for after dinner! #Key
  • libbyjuly
    libbyjuly Posts: 6 Member
    I knit to keep my mind off of it and it's too much of a pain to put my knitting aside, get the puppies up and go find something to eat. =)
  • jtkatch

Meal plan better, don't buy sweets.

I try not to buy the sweets instead I bake so my family has healthier sweets in the house. I just need to stay away from them! Also I realized I. A not being nuts in the house. Too dangerous for me. Thank you for your advice
  • jtkatch
    I think most of us have this issue sometimes.
    I save calories and plan to snack. Then when the taste of the snack is 100% gone I brush and floss my teeth.
    I do stay out of the kitchen too!
    Good luck.

Me kitchen is open concept literally within steps to my living room where I spend time with the family after dinner. You have a good idea though, the kids want something after dinner they can go get it...not me...staying out of the kitchen that way
  • jtkatch
    cwgrant67 wrote: »
    I have this issue as well! Going to try eat dinner earlier instead of an afternoon snack then I should have more calories available at night.

I wish I can do this!! I try and have dinner as a family and wait u till my husband gets home which is usually around 6;30. By then I have been gone for an hour....hungry...making dinner and snacking and picking while I prep dinner....not good...then I eat less at dinner bc I feel bad thinking I really shouldn't eat dinner with all I just ate! BLTs (bites licks and tastes) I have to change that bad habit therefore having a good dinner and feeling satisfied and not wanting to have something after dinner.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    jtkatch wrote: »
    cwgrant67 wrote: »

I wish I can do this!! I try and have dinner as a family and wait u till my husband gets home which is usually around 6;30. By then I have been gone for an hour....hungry...making dinner and snacking and picking while I prep dinner....not good...then I eat less at dinner bc I feel bad thinking I really shouldn't eat dinner with all I just ate! BLTs (bites licks and tastes) I have to change that bad habit therefore having a good dinner and feeling satisfied and not wanting to have something after dinner.

Perhaps have some cut veggies out for you to snack on while you make dinner? Then you can curb some of your hunger without doing much damage.