Does consuming fruits having citric acids helps in fast weight loss?

Options
I read about the foods having citric acids (like lemon,oranges) helps a lot in your weight loss journey. They are known to be as natural cleansers which remove the unnecessarily components from your body (which include unwanted fats). Is it true ? do i start having orange juice? will it help in quick weight loss or do nothing due to sugar present in it?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No. Your kidneys and liver cleanse your body and sugar has not much to do with weight loss, it's the amount of calories you are eating.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    "Although vitamin C doesn’t necessarily cause weight loss, it seems to be related to body weight. According to the review published in 2005 in the “Journal of the American College of Nutrition,” higher vitamin C intakes are associated with lower body-mass indexes. The authors of this review also point out that getting sufficient amounts of vitamin C increases body fat oxidation during moderate-intensity exercise. Therefore, vitamin C deficiency may hinder weight and body fat loss."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/534707-high-dose-vitamin-c-weight-loss/

Vitamin C also helps with the absorption of iron, which helps keep blood levels up. More blood = more oxygen sent to muscles.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help you to actually lose weight but I've heard that it can help with ridding of bloating and water retention, which could temporarily add a few lbs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I read about the foods having citric acids (like lemon,oranges) helps a lot in your weight loss journey. They are known to be as natural cleansers which remove the unnecessarily components from your body (which include unwanted fats). Is it true ? do i start having orange juice? will it help in quick weight loss or do nothing due to sugar present in it?

Nope. Only a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. No need to make it quick, though, because slow and steady winds the race!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I only drink lemon water when I want to have a BM. Also my doctor did recommend I use lemon juice spritzed over salads (or in water) to help with the oxalic crystals they had found in my urine a few months ago, she said it would help break them up. (but she didn't mention anything about it being used for fat loss/doing the work your kidneys/liver do on their own).
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No, that's not how it works.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I know lemon juice can help with fluid retention, but i can't see it helping with fat loss..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Orange juice packs a hell of a calorie punch.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yeah, it's not something i'm willing to waste my calories on.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options

But its so tasty :D as a kid I used to drink either that, milk or water. We weren't big fruit cocktail drinkers in my house until I got older. I've since stopped drinking them more or less and gravitated back to either water or milk with dinner/meals.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    xvolution wrote: »
    "Although vitamin C doesn’t necessarily cause weight loss, it seems to be related to body weight. According to the review published in 2005 in the “Journal of the American College of Nutrition,” higher vitamin C intakes are associated with lower body-mass indexes. The authors of this review also point out that getting sufficient amounts of vitamin C increases body fat oxidation during moderate-intensity exercise. Therefore, vitamin C deficiency may hinder weight and body fat loss."

Vitamin C also helps with the absorption of iron, which helps keep blood levels up. More blood = more oxygen sent to muscles.

This is silly. Livestrong publishes opinion articles not based on science.

Not to mention that increased fat oxidation during exercise has no effect on loss of stored body fat.

And what does "keeps blood levels up" even mean? Are you leaking blood? If so, that's a pretty serious problem that will require more than a glass of orange juice, I would think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, not true.

If you like citrus fruit, eat it, however. (I love clementines, but in the summer prefer all the delicious fruit that is in season and local to me.)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Probably folklore. Don't worry too much about this kind of stuff: There's no magic.

Eat consistently at a moderate calorie deficit, get adequate protein (I go for .6-.8 per pound of healthy goal weight, but more won't hurt if you don't have any unusual health conditions), get enough fat (.35 per pound of goal weight or so, preferably as much as possible from healthy sources), eat plenty of diverse fruits/veg (minimally 5 servings daily, preferably more). Get some exercise, ideally strength-building, then fill out the rest of your calorie budget - including eating back most exercise calories - with whatever you enjoy.

You'll lose weight, and be so healthy you can hardly stand yourself. ;)

Listen to this woman right there. She knows her stuff! Stop looking and magazines and random websites for answers. Weight loss is all about calories and nutrition is all about nutrients. Anything else you hear is either fluff or strategies people use because they make dieting easier for them.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Not to mention that increased fat oxidation during exercise has no effect on loss of stored body fat.

And what does "keeps blood levels up" even mean? Are you leaking blood? If so, that's a pretty serious problem that will require more than a glass of orange juice, I would think.

Technically blood levels constantly drop as the spleen recycles old blood cells, and the body needs ample amounts of iron to replenish the supply. Yes, you do need more than just vitamin c to keep those levels up, but it makes things easier as it helps the body absorb iron.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Technically blood levels constantly drop as the spleen recycles old blood cells, and the body needs ample amounts of iron to replenish the supply. Yes, you do need more than just vitamin c to keep those levels up, but it makes things easier as it helps the body absorb iron.

The point is that Vitamin C has nothing at all to do with weight management, but you might want it as part of a healthy nutritional regime. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »

But its so tasty :D as a kid I used to drink either that, milk or water. We weren't big fruit cocktail drinkers in my house until I got older. I've since stopped drinking them more or less and gravitated back to either water or milk with dinner/meals.

I agree, freshly squeezed orange juice is yummy. But i couldn't be bothered standing there for over 5 minutes squeezing them and then taking less than a minute to drink it lol