Not loosing weight!!!

Options
ive been at this for 10 days now I've been doing so good staying under 1200 cal and exercising I've been so proud of myself today I weighed myself I haven't lost 1 pound I'm so frustrated I don't even know why am bothering!

Replies

• rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You're either 1) eating too little or 2) are you measuring your food/weighing it? If you're guessing you may be eating a lot more than you think.
    Maybe try for 1400-1500 calories a day and see what happens. Under 1200 calories is not recommended bc it's not enough
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rebeccavh wrote: »
    You're either 1) eating too little or 2) are you measuring your food/weighing it? If you're guessing you may be eating a lot more than you think.
    Maybe try for 1400-1500 calories a day and see what happens. Under 1200 calories is not recommended bc it's not enough

eating too little will not stop someone from losing weight.

OP do you weigh everything you eat?
  • toffeexx
    toffeexx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you eat too little your body thinks it is starving and utalises every calorie. As Rebbecvh says try eating more. I know it sounds daft but its healthier and sensible
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    toffeexx wrote: »
    If you eat too little your body thinks it is starving and utalises every calorie. As Rebbecvh says try eating more. I know it sounds daft but its healthier and sensible

No. This is a myth that won't die. You will lose weight if you consume less calories than your body needs.

Agreed. Although, eating too little is (1) unhealthy and (2) unsustainable. ;)
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options

No. This is a myth that won't die. You will lose weight if you consume less calories than your body needs.

This is one of my pet peeves too. If it were true that eating too few calories sends your body into starvation mode thus preventing weight loss, then anyone stuck on a desert island would be just fine. Yes, your body will go into starvation mode but you will still lose weight.

Like you, I wish this myth would die. (Or that people would really think about how ludicrous it is. But then some people use that as their excuse as to why they aren't losing weight. It's much more convenient to say they aren't eating enough than to admit to themselves they are eating too much.)
  • Convie
    Convie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my account actually tells me to only eat 1200 a day so she may be sticking to what its telling her to do?
    also what exercises are you doing? if youre doing ones that gain muscle that could be why, remember muscle is heavier than fat, so on scales it may not seem like you're losing anything but really you are you're just gaining muscle as you lose fat, maybe start measuring yourself as well, so you can see the inches you lose :)
    i've been having the same problem doing the 30 day cardio, abs and arm exercises, i'm on day 11 and its getting painful now (today is 55 sit ups, 50 crunches, 35 leg raises and 40 second plank) just on abs :'( but I have not weighed myself once, I packed away my scales before I even started to make sure i wouldn't instead I'm taking pictures of myself to see if theres any change from day one, so far theres not much of a change but you can see a little one and i'm starting to see a little bit of excess skin, also remember losing 1-2lb a week is still a good amount :) keep at it!
  • kendalls63
    kendalls63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    10 days is not enough time to really start tracking weight loss. Depending on your current weight, you body will take some time to get used to your new eating habits/workouts. I get up and walk 40 minutes every morning with 2 sessions of a 60 second jog, with around a 1500 to 1800 calorie limit on food. It will work. Just give it some time. I started at 227 and I'm down to 203 working on a goal of 190 to 195. 10 weeks I've been at it. Seems like forever, but as they say, time marches on, and you will get there.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kendalls63 wrote: »
    10 days is not enough time to really start tracking weight loss. Depending on your current weight, you body will take some time to get used to your new eating habits/workouts. I get up and walk 40 minutes every morning with 2 sessions of a 60 second jog, with around a 1500 to 1800 calorie limit on food. It will work. Just give it some time. I started at 227 and I'm down to 203 working on a goal of 190 to 195. 10 weeks I've been at it. Seems like forever, but as they say, time marches on, and you will get there.

Great advice. Way to go, Kendalls63!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Convie wrote: »
    my account actually tells me to only eat 1200 a day so she may be sticking to what its telling her to do?
    also what exercises are you doing? if youre doing ones that gain muscle that could be why, remember muscle is heavier than fat, so on scales it may not seem like you're losing anything but really you are you're just gaining muscle as you lose fat, maybe start measuring yourself as well, so you can see the inches you lose :)
    i've been having the same problem doing the 30 day cardio, abs and arm exercises, i'm on day 11 and its getting painful now (today is 55 sit ups, 50 crunches, 35 leg raises and 40 second plank) just on abs :'( but I have not weighed myself once, I packed away my scales before I even started to make sure i wouldn't instead I'm taking pictures of myself to see if theres any change from day one, so far theres not much of a change but you can see a little one and i'm starting to see a little bit of excess skin, also remember losing 1-2lb a week is still a good amount :) keep at it!

No. Aside from newbie gains, it is extremely difficult to gain muscle in a deficit.
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all foods and liquids accurately using a digital scale? That's the only way to know for sure you are actually having 1200 calories and not inadvertently consuming hundreds more. Start weighing everything that passes your lips and logging it if you aren't already doing so and keep your activity up and I bet you'll see a loss soon! Measure yourself also as you could be getting smaller even if the scales aren't showing it yet.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you were eating under 1200 calories, your first sentence would be "I'm hungry", and you would lose weight. But don't eat under 1200 calories. Log more accurately. Weigh everything and check entries before you log, and log everything. Hit your calorie goal. Weigh yourself regularly and under similar conditions. Look at the weight trend - 10 days is way too short to see any real loss. New exercise may make your body retain water, and the scales display the weight of your total body, not just fat.

+1

If you aren't using a scale to log your food, you probably were not eating 1200 calories. Make sure you are being as accurate as you can and give it 3 weeks.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It takes longer than 10 days.

Use a food scale, weigh everything, log accurately. Then practice patience and wait. It takes time.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's only been 10 days, give it time! Your body is adjusting, and you are probably retaining water, from your new workout schedule. Honestly though, if you are tracking everything that is going into your mouth, and you truly are eating at below 1200 you will see results soon, plus be starving, and will maybe hate everyone around you eating delicious nutritious filling foods (it’s called a joke people). Again if you are truly weighing and measuring every little thing you eat, you should probably up your calories, for sanities sake, and for the sake of your health.

I do have a feeling that maybe you aren't tracking everything correctly though, and when you are on a low calorie diet the smallest mistakes added up, so I would say get that in check first, and work from there.
  • bagge72
    Options

Nope
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    ive been at this for 10 days now I've been doing so good staying under 1200 cal and exercising I've been so proud of myself today I weighed myself I haven't lost 1 pound I'm so frustrated I don't even know why am bothering!

10 days isn't enough time to judge if something is working or not especially when it comes to weight loss. I know you didn't gain it all in 10 days so don't think its going to "melt away" over night. I would recommend eating more. Eating less than 1200 is not recommended as a form of weight loss unless you are morbidly obese and under the care of a weight loss clinic. Make sure you are weighing your food, logging everything correctly and have patience. I would change your goal to 1 pound of weight loss per week so it is a more reasonable and attainable goal. MFP defaults to 1200 cal when you put in 2 pounds loss per week which again unless you are obese is not going to happen for most people and if it does chances are it is water weight and temporary. Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.

• bagge72
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Convie wrote: »

She isn't gaining muscle while eating under 1200 calories, once she starts actually losing weight she will probably be losing muscle along with the fat if she stays with that low of a calorie count. Now you can make the muscle you have stronger as you are losing weight, and you can retain water in that muscle, which will temporarily weigh more.

Also if your goal is to lose a decent amount of weight, I would maybe cut down on the ab exercises, you can't directly burn belly fat by doing them (your body decides that), and the muscle under there can only get so big, you can either burn more calories by doing some cardio in that time, or still work out your abs, as well as other muscles by doing some progressive lifting instead of 140 sets of ab exercises, plus planks.