13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    100df wrote: »
    Where you are at is where I want to be. I'm aware there will be slip ups, but for now I need to get the eating under control. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It gives me hope.

While getting your eating under control there is nothing wrong with forbidding and eliminating foods that you will overeat. Moderation doesn't work for everyone. I used to beat myself up because I wouldn't or couldn't practice moderation. Embracing that I do not have to practice moderation has freed me. Eliminating foods has helped me keep to my calorie goal which allows me to lose and maintain weight.

While I don't think the foods on my forbidden list will be there forever, I know that I won't continue losing amd maintaining weight if I don't control what I eat.

Food addiction is a contentious subject here. Many people are afraid of the conversation so won't allow it to happen. Will only argue it to death instead. It doesn't matter what people think here about it. What matters is you getting control of it. Don't let the arguing about it set you back. Just ignore the unhelpful posts like the jokes and denials that it exists.

Thank you. So much. I really feel a lot of pressure to be able to eat in moderation. Right now I can't. It's like asking an alcoholic to only have one drink. Sure it's possible, but it's easier if there's no "booze" at all.

In my opinion it is self torture having food around that makes you feel crazy trying not to eat it. Why do that to yourself because you think you should be able to practice moderation?

I don't have an issue with food in my house, for the most part. I've never kept lots of snack foods there (I keep ice cream there now, but didn't when gaining weight) and don't really snack at home. I used to struggle with baked goods when I had leftovers, but now I don't (and don't bake much anymore).

However -- and this is why I'm posting -- I do have food around all the time that once upon a time made me struggle not to want to eat it. That's at work. At this very moment there are brownies and cookies in the break food (good ones, there are always the mediocre packaged ones) and this is not unusual. If I relied on things not being around, I'd fail, and that's not acceptable to me. So if I self-defined this as "self-torture" or something I am "doing to myself" (what's the option, quitting my job?), that would be a problem. I find this idea that we can protect ourselves from ever being tempted or being around tempting foods to be truly odd and outside my experience. Learning to deal was an important part of my success to date (and I typically don't eat sweets at work).

Anyway, I happen to agree with those encouraging OP to do this -- I found it helpful to cut out sweets (added sugar entirely, but I've since decided it was pointless to worry about whether my savory bread has a little sugar or about mango chutney on a sandwich) for a while, just to realize I didn't need them and also to get more picky about what I allowed back into my diet (I want to eat thoughtfully, not to eat just because something is there). I also think she might be able to eventually moderate, as breaking my bad habits and changing up how I ate some of these foods allowed me to do so.

Oh, and I'm perfectly happy to discuss the "addiction" topic, as are many people. We simply are not permitted to do so outside of debate. There's a topic there if you want to post something. There was also an excellent recent discussion about moderating vs. excluding where I thought people found a lot of common ground.
  • BreakinChains
    BreakinChains Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    UPDATE

I gave up refined and processed sugars on Saturday. It's been hard BUT not as hard as I feared it would be.

Sunday was the worst day so far with (possible tmi) many trips to the bathroom throughout the day. That abated yesterday morning (thank God!) and the headaches have been minimal.

My cravings are definitely there, I really want a lofthouse sugar cookie! I know the only reason I want it is because my body craves it and I "can't" have it. This will pass I'm sure.

Still, the greatest part...I'm down 3.2 pounds! I know that's a lot of weight in a short time. I assure you that I am eating my calories (between 1200 and 1500 daily). This is also me getting back to being healthy/eating right after a long time so I expect a larger loss my first week.

Thanks to everyone for encouraging me and helping me. I'm really looking forward to continuing down this path and being healthy.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Big thing that I think is being overlooked is PROCESSED or REFINED sugar. If you can nix those out of your diet, you've really taken a huge step forward. I decided to start doing that on my second Iraq tour and was amazed how much better I felt after just a few days. Natural sugars, such as those found in fruit and vegetables are fine - just avoid the processed and refined sugar like the plague. A way to do that is to shop the outer part of the grocery store. Stay out of the middle, where all the refined sugars and salts reside.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    UPDATE

I gave up refined and processed sugars on Saturday. It's been hard BUT not as hard as I feared it would be.

Sunday was the worst day so far with (possible tmi) many trips to the bathroom throughout the day. That abated yesterday morning (thank God!) and the headaches have been minimal.

My cravings are definitely there, I really want a lofthouse sugar cookie! I know the only reason I want it is because my body craves it and I "can't" have it. This will pass I'm sure.

Still, the greatest part...I'm down 3.2 pounds! I know that's a lot of weight in a short time. I assure you that I am eating my calories (between 1200 and 1500 daily). This is also me getting back to being healthy/eating right after a long time so I expect a larger loss my first week.

Thanks to everyone for encouraging me and helping me. I'm really looking forward to continuing down this path and being healthy.

Awesome! Good for you for taking control. 3.2 pounds is just the beginning.

Thanks for the update. Feel inspired by it.
  • MamaSooz89129
    MamaSooz89129 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I finished the 21 day sugar detox #21dsd (google it) last week. It's a really a miracle because I've gone dessert-treat free since July 1st. It really does wipe out cravings. I can still longingly look at sweets but I am now stronger than they are. It's basically no processed food, no sugar, no wheat and very limited fruit for 21 days. A lot of cooking from scratch but I'm so glad I did it. I'm eating very limited wheat now and I'm ok.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Big thing that I think is being overlooked is PROCESSED or REFINED sugar. If you can nix those out of your diet, you've really taken a huge step forward. I decided to start doing that on my second Iraq tour and was amazed how much better I felt after just a few days. Natural sugars, such as those found in fruit and vegetables are fine - just avoid the processed and refined sugar like the plague. A way to do that is to shop the outer part of the grocery store. Stay out of the middle, where all the refined sugars and salts reside.

Wait, you mean every grocery store in the world is designed the EXACT same way? Wow!

Oh wait, they aren't. My grocery store has the bakery and frozen foods on the perimeter. Ice cream, pizza and cookies for me!

Just a general rule of thumb, quoted many times on whole30 forums. Yes, there is often the bakery section, but meats, fruits, and veggies are typically on the perimeter and boxed foods are in the aisles.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I get the general idea of "shopping the perimeter" but I've seen too many people around here take general advice and try to follow it to the lettee. I would miss out on half of my staples if I only shopped the perimeter. Tuna, frozen fruit & veggies, beans, rice, oats, quinoa, lentils, coffee, nuts, etc are all in the inner aisles around here.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I get the general idea of "shopping the perimeter" but I've seen too many people around here take general advice and try to follow it to the lettee. I would miss out on half of my staples if I only shopped the perimeter. Tuna, frozen fruit & veggies, beans, rice, oats, quinoa, lentils, coffee, nuts, etc are all in the inner aisles around here.

The perimeter of our store......clothes, pharmacy, pizza counter,milk,bread and alcohol.....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The perimeter of our store......clothes, pharmacy, pizza counter,milk,bread and alcohol.....

Getting drunk and eating pizza, all while in your PJs? Yes, please!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Getting drunk and eating pizza, all while in your PJs? Yes, please!

Little did I know that I was "clean eating" most Friday nights
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    We don't have booze in our grocery stores, but I'll happily shop the perimeter of the liquor store!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

All sugar is natural sugar from plants.
  • BreakinChains
    BreakinChains Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I finished the 21 day sugar detox #21dsd (google it) last week. It's a really a miracle because I've gone dessert-treat free since July 1st. It really does wipe out cravings. I can still longingly look at sweets but I am now stronger than they are. It's basically no processed food, no sugar, no wheat and very limited fruit for 21 days. A lot of cooking from scratch but I'm so glad I did it. I'm eating very limited wheat now and I'm ok.

Thank you! You're words and experience are encouraging. It's nice to see people who care enough to help rather than making snarky comments.