Wendler 5/3/1

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    On the third week aren't you on 95%? And that should be based on only 90% of your 1rm. And if you're pulling 3 reps when you got one on the agenda...You're fine.

ETA sorry if that made no sense. I took 20mg of melatonin that has seriously caught up to me.

Haha it's ok! Sorry I wasn't very clear. Prior to starting 531, I was not used to pulling 90% or more for more than 3 reps. So you are right; the 3rd week has you do AMRAPs at 95%, of 90% of your 1rm, and that week for DLs I was struggling to even maintain my grip on the bar until given chalk.

It sounds like your TM is too high. 95% of 90% is still only 86% of your 1rm.

You are not supposed to base your TM on the 1rm you got that one day months ago when the stars aligned and everything you lifted felt like fluffy clouds. The idea is to start low. Struggling in your first cycle is not supposed to happen.

WOW no need to be condescending! The first 2 weeks weren't a struggle. I just felt really crappy on that week 3 for deadlifts BUT ALL OTHER LIFTS FOR MY FIST CYCLE FEEL GREAT SO DON'T BE A FEMALE DOG ABOUT IT!!! :s

I'm not being condescending. I am stating a fact. Many people who find 5/3/1 via TNation or another online source do not follow through on understanding the program before implementing it. The #1 failure I see people make with it is not setting their TM properly. If you are struggling three weeks into the program, you did not set your TM properly. If being correct makes me a *kitten*, I will happily bark all day. But I also encourage you to learn to take constructive criticism without calling names. It's an important life skill.

So how would you suggest setting your TM.

Full stop. Read the book(s).

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2016
    1) How many cycles do you perform of Wendler?
    There is no set number. Personally, I only lift hard during the winter, so I usually run 3-5 cycles depending on timing, but there's no reason to stop at a certain number. It's meant to be a long term program. The only reason to stop/change would be if your goals change.

2) Do you alternate Wendler with any other programming after cycles finish?
    No.

3) How often/when do you test maxes? A trainer at my gym suggested after I complete my second cycle. This sounds good so as not to do so too frequently, but I would like to hear some more input.
    There is no real need to test maxes except for your own information. In that case, it's really up to you. I'd suggest no more often than quarterly (every 3 months/cycles).

4) What accessory work do you incorporate on each days? I have a decent arsenal of go-to exercises, but I am someone who enjoys a fair amount of variety. Here is what I do so far as accessory. I try to switch them around so I'm not doing too much in a day.
    Depends on what I'm trying to accomplish with my accessories. Am I trying to support the main lift? Work on some imbalance? Round out the program? Work around an injury? etc. Regardless, I try to run the same accessories for at least a full cycle. Changing more often than that doesn't really accomplish anything meaningful, IMO.

Also, on a related note... I REALLY STRONGLY do recommend you read the book. The first one is great - very simple, very streamlined, great for understanding the basics of what you're doing and why, not to mention the mindset behind the program. The second edition is more complicated, and by the sounds of things, more than you're ready for at this point.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited July 2016
    On the third week aren't you on 95%? And that should be based on only 90% of your 1rm. And if you're pulling 3 reps when you got one on the agenda...You're fine.

ETA sorry if that made no sense. I took 20mg of melatonin that has seriously caught up to me.

Haha it's ok! Sorry I wasn't very clear. Prior to starting 531, I was not used to pulling 90% or more for more than 3 reps. So you are right; the 3rd week has you do AMRAPs at 95%, of 90% of your 1rm, and that week for DLs I was struggling to even maintain my grip on the bar until given chalk.

You are not supposed to base your TM on the 1rm you got that one day months ago when the stars aligned and everything you lifted felt like fluffy clouds. The idea is to start low. Struggling in your first cycle is not supposed to happen.

WOW no need to be condescending! The first 2 weeks weren't a struggle. I just felt really crappy on that week 3 for deadlifts BUT ALL OTHER LIFTS FOR MY FIST CYCLE FEEL GREAT SO DON'T BE A FEMALE DOG ABOUT IT!!! :s

I'm not being condescending. I am stating a fact. Many people who find 5/3/1 via TNation or another online source do not follow through on understanding the program before implementing it. The #1 failure I see people make with it is not setting their TM properly. If you are struggling three weeks into the program, you did not set your TM properly. If being correct makes me a *kitten*, I will happily bark all day. But I also encourage you to learn to take constructive criticism without calling names. It's an important life skill.

Read. The. Book.

Everything is outlined there. You're supposed to set your TM based on what you can do the day you start training, not what you did 6 months ago (or whatever). If you need to take a day to test all those lifts before you start the cycle, so be it. Then you can plug those numbers into a calculator such as this one: http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

But, first. Read the book.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Read. The. Book.

Everything is outlined there. You're supposed to set your TM based on what you can do the day you start training, not what you did 6 months ago (or whatever). If you need to take a day to test all those lifts before you start the cycle, so be it. Then you can plug those numbers into a calculator such as this one: http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Yes. Read the book.

I am looking at the book as I type. The section titled Beginning the Program goes over this, with specific instructions on how to do it and the statement

These are not maxes you think you can do, maxes you've done, or maxes you think you might be able to do. These are maxes you can do RIGHT NOW. This is the not he time to be a braggart lifter. If you overestimate your maxes, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

The whole idea of 5/3/1 is to use submaximal lifting. It's really important to understand that.

I'm not going to spell it all out entirely because I get a bit tired of people wanting to do 5/3/1 but not wanting to read/pay for the book(s).
  • jacksonpt
    edited July 2016

Any half-way decent app should do it for you, assuming you have a good sense of what you can lift.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    You know, choosing a program and having success with it requires more than just physical strength - you need research and planning, which you have not done. And this thread shouldn't serve as a substitute.

People here are trying to help you and you're getting ridiculously defensive and making personal attacks rather than, you know listen to what they are offering you.

I frequently ask my friends about programs when I am switching, after they make suggestions -- I research them and see how they work and what will work best for me/my goals.

If you are serious about lifting and making strength gains, you have to treat the process with a fair amount of diligence. You could have seriously hurt yourself running this program wrong and lifting too much weight.

You're lucky you didn't.

Now, listen to everyone and READ the book.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Any half-way decent app should do it for you, assuming you have a good sense of what you can lift.

The app DOES create a list of 1rep maxes based on the AMRAPs I already performed. However, it did have me enter my 1rms in advance before starting the program.

Also, thank you for the valuable advice. I also re-read the t-nation article and decided that I will bring down my accessory work to 2 exercises per day along with the main lift AND I plan to purchase and read the book.
  • jacksonpt

The app DOES create a list of 1rep maxes based on the AMRAPs I already performed. However, it did have me enter my 1rms in advance before starting the program.

Also, thank you for the valuable advice. I also re-read the t-nation article and decided that I will bring down my accessory work to 2 exercises per day along with the main lift AND I plan to purchase and read the book.

Personally, I'm not a fan of basing the next cycle off of the past AMRAP sets... it's too variable for me as a good day can easily have me doing 10+ reps and a bad day could have me at the minimum. If you're basing your TM off of your actual, current 1RM, then you're probably fine.

FWIW, be careful basing any meaningful decisions on what you read from Tnation.
  • jemhh
    edited July 2016

I don't use whatever app you are using but note that there is no 5/3/1 app put out by Jim Wendler. Any app you are using is doing some of the math involved in the program, without any of the context to explain it.

The 1rm you use to set your TM is not supposed to be based on any AMRAP sets done within the program. That is, you do not use a 1rm, extrapolated from a + set in order to determine your TM for any subsequent cycle. I can't tell if you were planning to do that or not so I thought I'd point that out.

I think your biggest issue right now is that you based your TM on your 245 DL which, according to your profile, was pretty ugly. That's fine for your meet but as a basis for your training it's too high.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member

I don't use whatever app you are using but note that there is no 5/3/1 app put out by Jim Wendler. Any app you are using is doing some of the math involved in the program, without any of the context to explain it.

The 1rm you use to set your TM is not supposed to be based on any AMRAP sets done within the program. That is, you do not use a 1rm, extrapolated from a + set in order to determine your TM for any subsequent cycle. I can't tell if you were planning to do that or not so I thought I'd point that out.

I think your biggest issue right now is that you based your TM on your 245 DL which, according to your profile, was pretty ugly. That's fine for your meet but as a basis for your training it's too high.

Bolding for emphasis. I did this early on in my 5/3/1 life and found myself getting nowhere. i.e. I was lifting the same poundage for cycles on end. Know why? Because I didn't read the book.
  • maranarasauce93

Personally, I'm not a fan of basing the next cycle off of the past AMRAP sets... it's too variable for me as a good day can easily have me doing 10+ reps and a bad day could have me at the minimum. If you're basing your TM off of your actual, current 1RM, then you're probably fine.

FWIW, be careful basing any meaningful decisions on what you read from Tnation.

Don't worry. Only planning on sticking with my original number. And even if the article was published by Jim Wendler himself :s ?

• maranarasauce93
    You know, choosing a program and having success with it requires more than just physical strength - you need research and planning, which you have not done. And this thread shouldn't serve as a substitute.

People here are trying to help you and you're getting ridiculously defensive and making personal attacks rather than, you know listen to what they are offering you.

I frequently ask my friends about programs when I am switching, after they make suggestions -- I research them and see how they work and what will work best for me/my goals.

If you are serious about lifting and making strength gains, you have to treat the process with a fair amount of diligence. You could have seriously hurt yourself running this program wrong and lifting too much weight.

You're lucky you didn't.

I only was defensive towards ONE PERSON. I've been listening to everybody else and moral of the story is I will buy the book--or ebook if that is available, but hopefully nobody on here has a problem with that :o .

After researching multiple programs and their goals/designs I DID decide that Wendler would be best for me at the moment. However, I have yet to purchase the book, but it is now on the agenda.

Soo wise sages of MFP...once I get the book, do you think I should start from square one with new TMs? How would you fix this for a dipstick like me?
  • jemhh

You're lucky you didn't.

I only was defensive towards ONE PERSON. I've been listening to everybody else and moral of the story is I will buy the book--or ebook if that is available, but hopefully nobody on here has a problem with that :o .

After researching multiple programs and their goals/designs I DID decide that Wendler would be best for me at the moment. However, I have yet to purchase the book, but it is now on the agenda.

Soo wise sages of MFP...once I get the book, do you think I should start from square one with new TMs? How would you fix this for a dipstick like me?

Yes, I would start from the beginning. What I would probably do (and mind you this is just how I'd do it) would be to take a week where I tested myself on each of the 4 big lifts. I'd probably do 2 one day and 2 another day (1 upper, 1 lower each time) and then if I wanted to do another strength workout or two that week I'd do whatever I wanted (free day!) Then I'd have a clean start the next week, with the new TMs. Or you could do the 2 test days and start the cycle mid-week but I am a bit fussy and that would bug me :smiley:
  • maranarasauce93

You're lucky you didn't.

Yes, I would start from the beginning. What I would probably do (and mind you this is just how I'd do it) would be to take a week where I tested myself on each of the 4 big lifts. I'd probably do 2 one day and 2 another day (1 upper, 1 lower each time) and then if I wanted to do another strength workout or two that week I'd do whatever I wanted (free day!) Then I'd have a clean start the next week, with the new TMs. Or you could do the 2 test days and start the cycle mid-week but I am a bit fussy and that would bug me :smiley:

Sounds like a solid plan :]. Except I might spread it out to three days because a very experienced powerlifter I know told me you never want to go heavy for bench and OHP in the same day.
  • jemhh

You're lucky you didn't.

Sounds like a solid plan :]. Except I might spread it out to three days because a very experienced powerlifter I know told me you never want to go heavy for bench and OHP in the same day.

Oh yeah. I meant do maybe DL and OHP one day and squat and bench the other. I wouldn't want to test OHP and bench on the same day either. Bleh.
  • maranarasauce93
    edited July 2016

You're lucky you didn't.

Oh yeah. I meant do maybe DL and OHP one day and squat and bench the other. I wouldn't want to test OHP and bench on the same day either. Bleh.

Also, a part of me just wants to ride out this deload for the rest of this week before testing maxes since it is so nice and light and fun.
  • jemhh

You're lucky you didn't.

Also, a part of me just wants to ride out this deload before testing maxes since it is so nice and light and fun.

Oh well do that then. I was thinking you were still in the 3rd week. Take your deload and enjoy it :)
  • maranarasauce93
    edited July 2016

You're lucky you didn't.

Also, a part of me just wants to ride out this deload before testing maxes since it is so nice and light and fun.

Oh well do that then. I was thinking you were still in the 3rd week. Take your deload and enjoy it :)

Haha noope. I'm at the end of "cycle 1". So far the only struggle with deload has beeen setting up for deadlifts. No bumper plates under 45lbs means propping my bar up on the 45lb bumpers and struggling to keep the bar even. But other than that, deload is awesome!
  • jemhh

You're lucky you didn't.

Haha noope. I'm at the end of "cycle 1". So far the only struggle with deload has beeen setting up for deadlifts. No bumper plates under 45lbs means propping my bar up on the 45lb bumpers and struggling to keep the bar even. But other than that, deload is awesome!

I can commiserate. I train at home and have no plates larger than 25 pounds. I have several of those so, depending on how much I'm lifting, my setup can be a little bit higher or lower. I've mostly gotten used to it with deadlifts but hack squats are a bit trickier.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

I use that app too and it ups your TM by the standard 5/10 pounds per cycle regardless how much you got in your AMRAP. It does show you though how many reps you'd need for a new record on your AMRAP sets.