How long did it take you to fully get over your first heartbreak?

Options
bemyyfriend0918
bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
I got my heart broken three years ago, and I still am not over it. He made me so happy, and I have never met anyone I thought was more perfect for me. I still cry regularly about it, and although I've dated others, no one can compare. At this point, do you think it is worth even dating? Do you think that although I think he is perfect for me, I can find someone else someday who I think is equally as perfect (or more)? Should I just accept that he was my true love and try and have a happy life of being single?

What would you guys do, and how long did it take to get over your first love? Did you feel the same way I did, that you would never find anyone as amazing? Getting back together or reaching out to him is not an option, he hates me.

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    How long were you together and why did you break up?
  • bemyyfriend0918
    Options
    How long were you together and why did you break up?

We were together about a year, which is interesting because I dated people for much longer than that (three years) and do not feel that way about the other guy.

He broke up with me because I am not what he wants...he seeks perfection that I was unable to meet.

• MeinProgress
    MeinProgress Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ugh...I am so sorry to hear. I think it probably took me quite some time to get over my first. BUT....Man am I glad I did, because I ended up doing way better. If it didn't work out between the two of you...then he ISNT perfect for you, and there definitely is someone who is.
    In the meantime, take care of yourself, and keep an open mind. Things will change...promise
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. But he wasn't your true love if he let you go and hates you now.

You'll get over it though, I promise. You just haven't found the right person yet.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Why does he hate you????
  • amylouisechambers
    amylouisechambers Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The first time, it took about a year.
    The second time about half a year.
    The third and worst time- with a guy who was awful to me (yet i stupidly stuck around)- kept leaving me and taking me back so it was on and off heartbreak.... The very last time he done this something clicked and I just didn't care anymore. Soon after, I was lucky enough to find the one with someone who treats me right and I have never been happier!
  • bemyyfriend0918
    Options
    Why does he hate you????

When he left me, it was the first time I truly got my heartbroken. I reacted by calling him constantly, texting him all the time for probably a month until finally I just pushed him to the edge to the point where he never wanted to talk to me again. Last time reached out, he confirmed he wants nothing to do with me because I am too dramatic.

• bemyyfriend0918
    Options
    The third and worst time- with a guy who was awful to me (yet i stupidly stuck around)- kept leaving me and taking me back so it was on and off heartbreak.... The very last time he done this something clicked and I just didn't care anymore. Soon after, I was lucky enough to find the one with someone who treats me right and I have never been happier!

When you were getting over the first two guys, did you feel as though you would never get over them?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Why does he hate you????

When he left me, it was the first time I truly got my heartbroken. I reacted by calling him constantly, texting him all the time for probably a month until finally I just pushed him to the edge to the point where he never wanted to talk to me again. Last time reached out, he confirmed he wants nothing to do with me because I am too dramatic.

Wow...ok so you kinda turned into one of those stalker-girls, and that's SOOOO not good. I really think you should get some counseling and try to work on your self esteem, because behavior like that isn't normal (sorry if that sounded harsh - I don't mean it to be).
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You'll meet someone who knocks your heart right out of the park, and then everything that happened before won't matter. I know that sounds like a cliche-- but it's true. I didn't think I'd ever get over some of the people I'd dated, and then I met my current partner and, all of a sudden, all those b/s relationships just didn't even matter. Nothing really mattered except for how he made me feel! The right person ignites a fire right in your soul that burns you pure again.
  • amylouisechambers
    amylouisechambers Posts: 70 Member
    Options

When you were getting over the first two guys, did you feel as though you would never get over them?

Completely. I didn't think it would ever end. And I felt like you did that I didnt want anyone else and that maybe I should just be single and hope he changed his mind. But you WILL get over it. How long were you with this guy for? It takes everyone different amounts of time to get over things but I promise you you will find someone even better and you won't even see your ex in that way anymore. You'll even wonder what you saw in him in the first place. Chin up, you will get there.

Can I ask- do you still keep in contact with him? I just know that it prolongs the heartbreak and it does yourself no favours. Cutting contact completely is the best thing to do always.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we hold onto the thoughts of what we hoped things could be, rather than what really was. Obviously things weren't perfect in his eyes; there had to be signs of it that maybe you ignored because you wanted it to be perfect so much.
    You do need to let this go, some therapy might be a good idea. You'll never be able to love someone else until you get this guy out of your head.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Why does he hate you????

Wow...ok so you kinda turned into one of those stalker-girls, and that's SOOOO not good. I really think you should get some counseling and try to work on your self esteem, because behavior like that isn't normal (sorry if that sounded harsh - I don't mean it to be).

^^ Also this

yeah- it's normal to be really upset after a break-up, and it takes time to heal. But turning into a Stage 5 Clinger is a real bad time. Don't be that girl B)

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't believe there is one true love for everyone. I think you can have multiple loves and soulmates in a lifetime.

You may still be hung up on him because he rejected you based on your perceived "imperfections". I can't imagine living my life striving to be perfect for someone else. You can be single if you want but don't pine over him. Someone else will come along. There are tons of men out there.

Whatever his reasons were, just accept that he's not available anymore.

This. Take him off the pedestal girl. No one will ever measure up to how you've idolized this guy in your head.

I also don't believe in "one true love." I think that is setting yourself up for heartbreak. I've been married 8 years and adore my husband. But, I could have had a happy life even if we'd never met. For me personally, I knew we could be together long term because the whole relationship was effortless. I never had to try less in my life. I think that is because I think of him as my best friend that I have awesome sex with rather than my soulmate. You can have lots of loves in your life but compatibility and happiness aren't defined by love, but friendship first. Was dude your friend?

Oh, and I wanted to add...don't try to be friends with him now. Seriously, when you break up with someone no one really "wants to be just friends."
  • bemyyfriend0918
    Options
    Why does he hate you????

^^ Also this

yeah- it's normal to be really upset after a break-up, and it takes time to heal. But turning into a Stage 5 Clinger is a real bad time. Don't be that girl B)

Haha, this is true.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have had my heart broke a few times but the last time was the absolute worst.

After I was done being angry and then feeling sorry for myself I thought maybe I would try dating. It has been years since I put myself out there. That was a mistake.. I just wasn't ready and didn't want to try to fill a void using someone else. I thought I was going to be so so lonely.

I decided to say *kitten* people who want to walk away from me. I started devoting my extra time to people who had never left my side. My family and close friends. The people who DO think I'm enough. I have never been happier. Of course there are things I miss... But that's so fleeting.

I'm fully confident that someday I will stumble across someone who thinks I am great and maybe by then I will know my worth and can try again.

Keep your head up and delete that number out of your phone in the future.