Which one do I trust?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    You're about 200 pounds and eating only 1100 calories? Please, For the love of God eat more. :# That is really going to screw you up in the long run! Find out what your BMR is and at least eat that as a minimum.

Only if I binge which now that I know what my trigger foods are, try not to go anywhere near them when I feel the urge to binge come on (I'll try to binge on cucumbers or asparagus or something less calorie dense). If I can do that, then it won't hurt me in the long run. I just have to not buy anything remotely carby or filled with refined sugars. I know its going to be hard as hell in the beginning and its easier said than done but its a lot easier when I don't have it in the house which I plan on doing for the long haul.

Once I reach maintenance weight---132---I will eat at maintenance calories...1450. Until then I just want to eat at a large deficit.

Where did you get that estimate of maintenance calories from, 1450? That seems very low - most people maintain, even with sedentary activity level, at higher than that.
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Elaina, I think you just need to relax and trust the process. Your scale is probably fine. Like others have mentioned, you can always check its accuracy with a dumbbell and calibrate it if necessary. I would also suggest only weighing once a week. I checked your diary and it actually looks ok for now. You are getting enough protein and also some fruits and veggies, so good job! I know what its like to have wisdom teeth out. I had to go back to the surgeon for a check up and because of pain, and it was because I had cleaned the sockets too much. He reminded me that this is a very common procedure and most people do not get infections or dry socket. You should start to eat more foods now. Keep them soft if you must. And try to keep your calories to 1200 or more. Good luck :)

Thank you so much! I guess I am being a bit too paranoid. I have started to eat more solids like raviolis and mac and cheese and mash potatoes. I guess I can start eating a little more. I was just so afraid about the dry socket and possible infection because then I really would have to eat less if I got either. I want to be able to eat because I hate starving myself. I will try to keep it at 1200 at least but sometimes its hard because I'm not as hungry since I started going low carb. But I will try.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You're about 200 pounds and eating only 1100 calories? Please, For the love of God eat more. :# That is really going to screw you up in the long run! Find out what your BMR is and at least eat that as a minimum.

Only if I binge which now that I know what my trigger foods are, try not to go anywhere near them when I feel the urge to binge come on (I'll try to binge on cucumbers or asparagus or something less calorie dense). If I can do that, then it won't hurt me in the long run. I just have to not buy anything remotely carby or filled with refined sugars. I know its going to be hard as hell in the beginning and its easier said than done but its a lot easier when I don't have it in the house which I plan on doing for the long haul.

Once I reach maintenance weight---132---I will eat at maintenance calories...1450. Until then I just want to eat at a large deficit.

Where did you get that estimate of maintenance calories from, 1450? That seems very low - most people maintain, even with sedentary activity level, at higher than that.

^Also curious. I'm in the 120's/5'4.5" and my estimated sedentary maintenance is around 1600.
  • Elaina291
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm

• Elaina291
    edited July 2016
    Options

^Also curious. I'm in the 120's/5'4.5" and my estimated sedentary maintenance is around 1600.

I think its because of my height. I am 5'3" and I put in that I am mostly sedentary which I am at the moment because of wisdom teeth extraction.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

That calculator gives really low numbers. Even with the activity level maxed out it estimates a maintenance level of 2196 for me. I've been averaging around 2300 calories and I'm actually losing weight. Only about 0.4 lb per week, but that still makes my maintenance a lot higher.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Which calculator did you use?

I'm 5'2 and maintaining 120 lbs and with my activity, my TDEE is 2200. Even my sedentary calculation would be higher than 1450 I would imagine.

I wouldn't worry too much about maintenance cals right now - focus on eating at a moderate calorie deficit for now to lose the weight in a sustainable way. If you are lifting, you want to make sure you are consuming adequate protein to help preserve lean body mass while you have an aggressive deficit.

• shadow2soul
    Options

I think its because of my height. I am 5'3" and I put in that I am mostly sedentary which I am at the moment because of wisdom teeth extraction.

Nah. That thing just spits out really low numbers. I guess it's a good starting point, but I wouldn't be surprised if people find they are still slowly losing instead of maintaining on those numbers.
  • Elaina291
    Options

Which calculator did you use?

I'm 5'2 and maintaining 120 lbs and with my activity, my TDEE is 2200. Even my sedentary calculation would be higher than 1450 I would imagine.

I wouldn't worry too much about maintenance cals right now - focus on eating at a moderate calorie deficit for now to lose the weight in a sustainable way. If you are lifting, you want to make sure you are consuming adequate protein to help preserve lean body mass while you have an aggressive deficit.

I used it to calculate maintenance of 132 which it said 1450. For fat loss at 205 it said 1632, but I am trying to lose 2lbs/week and 1632 is too much according to MFP.

And thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely try to get adequate amount of protein in and consume a bit more than 1100 once my wisdom teeth have healed a bit.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Agreed. Your numbers aren't right. I weigh 127 (5 foot 0) and LOSE eating everyday at 1450. My maintence calories are about 1900 on a sedentary day.

You struggle with binge eating BECAUSE you under eat on a consistent basis.

But it doesn't sound to me like you want to take advice from those of us who have experience with this and have been doing it longer.
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Due to the frustration of time of day, clothing & being notoriously inaccurate, I have stopped weighing myself at the doctor's office. I tell them my weight. I always weigh myself on Friday mornings before I eat, after going to the bathroom, and nude. My scale is very consistent, so I just give them my last known weight. They don't care as long as it is going the right direction. Besides it's all relative; if one scale says I weigh 250 and another says 235, what to I weigh? Just use the most consistent.
  • Elaina291
    Options

Nah. That thing just spits out really low numbers. I guess it's a good starting point, but I wouldn't be surprised if people find they are still slowly losing instead of maintaining on those numbers.

It could be an individual thing too since everyone's metabolism is different. I have two friends that are around the same weight and one can eat a lot of carbs and cals and not gain weight at all and the other will gain a lot easily if they ate the same amount of carbs and cals.

Maybe the calculator is going off the average body. Idk. I am not using it strictly, but just to get somewhat of an idea of how much I should be eating to have a large deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

This. It gave me 1511 for maintenance at moderate activity level. I would lose 1 lb/week at that.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Use this spreadsheet (you have to make a copy to input any information):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit#gid=0

I think it's going to give you more realistic numbers. Even completely sedentary, it estimates that with your stats/goal weight you will maintain around 1647.
  • Elaina291
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit#gid=0

I think it's going to give you more realistic numbers. Even completely sedentary, it estimates that with your stats/goal weight you will maintain around 1647.

Thanks!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

It could be an individual thing too since everyone's metabolism is different. I have two friends that are around the same weight and one can eat a lot of carbs and cals and not gain weight at all and the other will gain a lot easily if they ate the same amount of carbs and cals.

Maybe the calculator is going off the average body. Idk. I am not using it strictly, but just to get somewhat of an idea of how much I should be eating to have a large deficit.

Let's start over. What does MFP set as your goal for 2 lb/week weight loss? You have been losing faster than that, but you had the issue with not eating due to your wisdom teeth coming out. Were you losing before you had that procedure done?

Actually, comparing how two people eat and their weight loss is usually an exercise in futility. We've had countless threads here where people think that someone can eat whatever they want and lose weight, while another person has to be meticulous. Every single time it comes down to the fact that you really don't know what a person is consuming for 24 hours a day and what their calorie burn is. Trying to make comparisons between two people is just not helpful. Focus on you, your numbers, and what you need to do in order to achieve your goals.
  • Elaina291
    Options

Let's start over. What does MFP set as your goal for 2 lb/week weight loss? You have been losing faster than that, but you had the issue with not eating due to your wisdom teeth coming out. Were you losing before you had that procedure done?

Actually, comparing how two people eat and their weight loss is usually an exercise in futility. We've had countless threads here where people think that someone can eat whatever they want and lose weight, while another person has to be meticulous. Every single time it comes down to the fact that you really don't know what a person is consuming for 24 hours a day and what their calorie burn is. Trying to make comparisons between two people is just not helpful. Focus on you, your numbers, and what you need to do in order to achieve your goals.

Ok I set it for 2lbs a week and it now has me at 1200 cals/day. So I was right then?
  • Elaina291
    Options

It says to have a 20% deficit to eat at 1847lbs...I'm confused because MFP says 1200 cals/day to lose 2lb/week.

• shadow2soul
    Options

Ok I set it for 2lbs a week and it now has me at 1200 cals/day. So I was right then?

Depends are you really sedentary? Or are you actually closer to lightly active and just using sedentary to be safe? Going by your intake vs loss numbers, I'd say that will actually have you losing slightly faster than 2 lbs per week.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Here are the numbers from fat2fittools.com as to what you would eat at your goal weight.

Activity Level

Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1691
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1937
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2184
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2431
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2677