WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You're about 200 pounds and eating only 1100 calories? Please, For the love of God eat more. :# That is really going to screw you up in the long run! Find out what your BMR is and at least eat that as a minimum.

Only if I binge which now that I know what my trigger foods are, try not to go anywhere near them when I feel the urge to binge come on (I'll try to binge on cucumbers or asparagus or something less calorie dense). If I can do that, then it won't hurt me in the long run. I just have to not buy anything remotely carby or filled with refined sugars. I know its going to be hard as hell in the beginning and its easier said than done but its a lot easier when I don't have it in the house which I plan on doing for the long haul.

Once I reach maintenance weight---132---I will eat at maintenance calories...1450. Until then I just want to eat at a large deficit.

Where did you get that estimate of maintenance calories from, 1450? That seems very low - most people maintain, even with sedentary activity level, at higher than that.

^Also curious. I'm in the 120's/5'4.5" and my estimated sedentary maintenance is around 1600.

I think its because of my height. I am 5'3" and I put in that I am mostly sedentary which I am at the moment because of wisdom teeth extraction.

Nah. That thing just spits out really low numbers. I guess it's a good starting point, but I wouldn't be surprised if people find they are still slowly losing instead of maintaining on those numbers.

It could be an individual thing too since everyone's metabolism is different. I have two friends that are around the same weight and one can eat a lot of carbs and cals and not gain weight at all and the other will gain a lot easily if they ate the same amount of carbs and cals.

Maybe the calculator is going off the average body. Idk. I am not using it strictly, but just to get somewhat of an idea of how much I should be eating to have a large deficit.

Let's start over. What does MFP set as your goal for 2 lb/week weight loss? You have been losing faster than that, but you had the issue with not eating due to your wisdom teeth coming out. Were you losing before you had that procedure done?

Actually, comparing how two people eat and their weight loss is usually an exercise in futility. We've had countless threads here where people think that someone can eat whatever they want and lose weight, while another person has to be meticulous. Every single time it comes down to the fact that you really don't know what a person is consuming for 24 hours a day and what their calorie burn is. Trying to make comparisons between two people is just not helpful. Focus on you, your numbers, and what you need to do in order to achieve your goals.

Ok I set it for 2lbs a week and it now has me at 1200 cals/day. So I was right then?

I'm not sure - what that means is that MFP estimates your current maintenance level to be around 2200 calories, since 2 lbs/ week is a 1000 cal deficit. MFP won't go below 1200, since that is the minimum recommendation to get adequate nutrition. I still think that is very low, even with the amount of weight you have to lose. You might try setting it for 1.5 lb/week, but no matter what, I would make sure that you eat back your exercise calories. You've mentioned issues with binge/restrict cycles, you've mentioned that you've been trying to do this for 6 years. Taking too aggressive of a cut with calories, or restricting one particular macro or food too heavily may trigger those issues. Best to take a conservative approach this time to avoid some of the mistakes you've made in the past.

For what it's worth, I lost 30 lbs and never ate below 1500 cals while doing so. I didn't restrict carbs, or sugar, or anything really. I added more lean protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, and more exercise. I kept eating things like pizza, ice cream, and drinking wine in moderation.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Use this spreadsheet (you have to make a copy to input any information):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit#gid=0

I think it's going to give you more realistic numbers. Even completely sedentary, it estimates that with your stats/goal weight you will maintain around 1647.

It says to have a 20% deficit to eat at 1847lbs...I'm confused because MFP says 1200 cals/day to lose 2lb/week.

Based on your loss vs current intake, 1847 will be in the range of 1-2 lbs per week loss.

MFP's number is based off whatever activity level you picked without exercise. However, you are already losing at a rate (even if we go by your doctors scale) that 1200 would still have you losing more than 2 lbs per week.

Calculators are all estimates and should be used as starting points. You adjust based on how fast you are losing. When we compare your rate of loss to your intake, 2 lbs per week is going to be somewhere in the range of 1300-2k calories per day (depending on which scale you want to go by).
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit#gid=0

I think it's going to give you more realistic numbers. Even completely sedentary, it estimates that with your stats/goal weight you will maintain around 1647.

It says to have a 20% deficit to eat at 1847lbs...I'm confused because MFP says 1200 cals/day to lose 2lb/week.

That spreadsheet is a TDEE calculator which means exercise calories are factored in, you wouldn't eat them back.

With MFP, you are using a NEAT calculation, excluding exercise, so if you do exercise, you should eat the calories back.

Most of the time, the two approaches turn out to be very similar at the end of the day - but occasionally they end up being off by a couple hundred calories. I think your current loss numbers indicate that the MFP goal of 1200 would be too low for you. You could set a manual MFP goal of 1400, try that for several weeks, and see what results you get.

Just like with weighing yourself, it doesn't really matter which one you choose, the important thing is that you choose one method, follow it to the letter, and stick with it. Tracking your calorie intake accurately is probably far more important than deciding between the MFP goal and the TDEE goal. Are you using a food scale to weigh your solid foods? Are you logging everything you eat?
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You're about 200 pounds and eating only 1100 calories? Please, For the love of God eat more. :# That is really going to screw you up in the long run! Find out what your BMR is and at least eat that as a minimum.

Only if I binge which now that I know what my trigger foods are, try not to go anywhere near them when I feel the urge to binge come on (I'll try to binge on cucumbers or asparagus or something less calorie dense). If I can do that, then it won't hurt me in the long run. I just have to not buy anything remotely carby or filled with refined sugars. I know its going to be hard as hell in the beginning and its easier said than done but its a lot easier when I don't have it in the house which I plan on doing for the long haul.

Once I reach maintenance weight---132---I will eat at maintenance calories...1450. Until then I just want to eat at a large deficit.

Where did you get that estimate of maintenance calories from, 1450? That seems very low - most people maintain, even with sedentary activity level, at higher than that.

Agreed. Your numbers aren't right. I weigh 127 (5 foot 0) and LOSE eating everyday at 1450. My maintence calories are about 1900 on a sedentary day.

You struggle with binge eating BECAUSE you under eat on a consistent basis.

But it doesn't sound to me like you want to take advice from those of us who have experience with this and have been doing it longer.

I am not trying to ignore anyone's advice on here and I think what everyone has said is sound nor am I under eating because of binge eating. My wisdom teeth have been pulled recently so that's why the numbers are so low.

Trust me when I say I don't like starving myself. Its annoying and aggravating. Although I do struggle with sugar and carbs, when its not in my house or not going out to eat as much, I don't. So I can't say I have a binge eating problem per se. I thought I did but my best friend made a lot of sense when she said if I can go days without hardly eating anything because of a fear of infection or dry socket, is it really a disorder or just me siking myself out because that's what I have programmed myself to think.

It really put things in perspective for me about my eating habits. I came to realize if I want to make this work this time around, I have to significantly decrease the foods that make me go on a sugar binge frenzy.

Weight loss is mind over matter after all.
  • Elaina291
    Options

That spreadsheet is a TDEE calculator which means exercise calories are factored in, you wouldn't eat them back.

With MFP, you are using a NEAT calculation, excluding exercise, so if you do exercise, you should eat the calories back.

Most of the time, the two approaches turn out to be very similar at the end of the day - but occasionally they end up being off by a couple hundred calories. I think your current loss numbers indicate that the MFP goal of 1200 would be too low for you. You could set a manual MFP goal of 1400, try that for several weeks, and see what results you get.

Just like with weighing yourself, it doesn't really matter which one you choose, the important thing is that you choose one method, follow it to the letter, and stick with it. Tracking your calorie intake accurately is probably far more important than deciding between the MFP goal and the TDEE goal. Are you using a food scale to weigh your solid foods? Are you logging everything you eat?

I definitely have to get a food scale and I am logging everything I eat. Its a lot easier when I can't eat much though lol. But when I can chew again I will try to monitor what I put in my mouth more closely.

And what you have said here makes a lot of sense. I guess I will just go off how I am feeling. If I feel famished one day then I will eat more calories closer to 1400 but if I feel full then I will eat at 1200. I just have to start using intuitive eating.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I definitely have to get a food scale and I am logging everything I eat. Its a lot easier when I can't eat much though lol. But when I can chew again I will try to monitor what I put in my mouth more closely.

And what you have said here makes a lot of sense. I guess I will just go off how I am feeling. If I feel famished one day then I will eat more calories closer to 1400 but if I feel full then I will eat at 1200. I just have to start using intuitive eating.

Actually, most people are terrible at intuitive eating. If we were good at it, we wouldn't have gained weight in the first place. What most people here find great success with is diligent logging of calories in, and reasonable estimates of calories out, in order to achieve a deficit that is manageable for them in the long run.

Getting a food scale is a great first step. Also if you haven't already, you should read some of these posts:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

There is a wealth of helpful information in there about how to set up appropriate goals (calories and macros) how to log accurately, what to do if you hit a plateau, etc.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    First, just use your home scale measurement. Even if it is 5 lbs off, it doesn't matter because you will still be able to record your losses from THAT scale. You won't be going to the doctor's office regularly to track your weight. I bought a new scale a couple years ago that weighed me in at 3.5 less than my old scale, readings taken at the exact same time. I have no idea which one is correct and I don't care, I just use one of them consistently to track that changes in my weight.

Secondly, you should not be eating only 1200. Period. Even if you feel full on 1200 sometimes. If you lose too fast, you will be losing muscle too. If you get stalled at some point, there is no way to lower calories any further to break the stall. If you use MFP, set yourself up to lose 2 lbs a week (only if that is appropriate for how much weight you have to lose) and make sure to ADD YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES back (at least 50-75% of them). If using TDEE, don't add your exercise calories. There is no need to eat less. Why not eat more food, fuel your body and your workouts, make sure you have adequate nutrition to keep yourself healthy, and still lose weight?
  • Elaina291
    Options

Actually, most people are terrible at intuitive eating. If we were good at it, we wouldn't have gained weight in the first place. What most people here find great success with is diligent logging of calories in, and reasonable estimates of calories out, in order to achieve a deficit that is manageable for them in the long run.

Getting a food scale is a great first step. Also if you haven't already, you should read some of these posts:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

There is a wealth of helpful information in there about how to set up appropriate goals (calories and macros) how to log accurately, what to do if you hit a plateau, etc.

Thanks so much for this! This is really going to help out a lot. And thanks again for all the advice! I really appreciate it!
  • Elaina291
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    First, just use your home scale measurement. Even if it is 5 lbs off, it doesn't matter because you will still be able to record your losses from THAT scale. You won't be going to the doctor's office regularly to track your weight. I bought a new scale a couple years ago that weighed me in at 3.5 less than my old scale, readings taken at the exact same time. I have no idea which one is correct and I don't care, I just use one of them consistently to track that changes in my weight.

Secondly, you should not be eating only 1200. Period. Even if you feel full on 1200 sometimes. If you lose too fast, you will be losing muscle too. If you get stalled at some point, there is no way to lower calories any further to break the stall. If you use MFP, set yourself up to lose 2 lbs a week (only if that is appropriate for how much weight you have to lose) and make sure to ADD YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES back (at least 50-75% of them). If using TDEE, don't add your exercise calories. There is no need to eat less. Why not eat more food, fuel your body and your workouts, make sure you have adequate nutrition to keep yourself healthy, and still lose weight?

I have calmed down and think I will continue to use home scale but not weigh myself every day anymore. I just don't want to become obsessive again. I will follow MFP guidelines and in a couple of months base how right it is based on how I look and how my clothes fit versus the scale.

And I will definitely make sure to add exercise calories back at least 50%. Thanks!