Skinny Fat to Fit

Options
So I am trying to maintain my size but trying to gain muscle and shred some fat. I haven't been doing cardio just weight training and watching what I eat. I feel better but the scale is going up, not that i mind. But to see faster results should I include cardio? Counting calories? And not eating enough calories could I be losing muscle? Any advice is appreciated. Suggesions on workouts too :smiley:

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The only way to gain muscle is to gain weight. You can't really gain muscle while eating at a caloric deficit. Most people who are trying to gain muscle do periods where they gain and then periods where they "cut" or eat at a deficit to lose fat.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If the scale is going up and you aren't currently counting calories, you are eating over maintenance calories. If you are strength training, some of that gain is muscle and some is fat. That is bulking, which many people do on purpose to gain muscle. You have to cut calories once you have reached your goal to cut the fat.

However, if you would like to maintain the same size while adding some muscle, you need to eat at maintenance calories, eat sufficient protein, lift heavy and have patience. This is called body recomposition, or recomp. Cardio can be added for heart health and if you enjoy it. Many people do recomp for a while, then switch to bulk/cut cycles if they want to continue gaining muscle.

Check out this thread for a wealth of information.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • clee707
    clee707 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the recomp thread, it's what you want. Also you should do at least a little bit of cardio not so much for results as just general fitness. Pick something you like, not something you need to force yourself to do
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    The only way to gain muscle is to gain weight. You can't really gain muscle while eating at a caloric deficit. Most people who are trying to gain muscle do periods where they gain and then periods where they "cut" or eat at a deficit to lose fat.

Sorry but your data is outdated.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160127132741.htm
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if you are gaining weight it could be water weight as well. your muscles will store water to repair and help aid the muscles.that is what is happening with me right now.I know its not fat as Im gaining it too quick and not eating over my maintenance.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Recoup really works. Also, if you're gaining but not eating a surplus of calories, it's likely water retention that comes from a new exercise routine (or if you've changed your diet, it could also be bloating). Give that time to settle out.

• mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

I often wonder where the "bulk/cut" philosophy came from. We're human, so I understand how we regurgitate what we've heard in the quest for the "ever better" method for gaining/losing/cutting, but common sense would seem to me to dictate that whether at a caloric deficit (within reason of course) or not, if we lift/work in a way that makes heavy demands of muscles, they will grow. Sure, that will happen at different rates, but they will grow, because they must in order to keep up with the demand.

Also, the question about cardio, wouldn't we all want our cardiovascular system to be exercised and in the best shape it can be? That being said, I'm not much of a believer in machine based cardio. I lean toward full body, multiple muscle engagement...like say 3 sets of 50 burpees (real ones, not half hearted :)
  • clee707
    clee707 Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I do plan on adding cardio. I work FT & commute about 3 hours a day (UGH) and in the gym for 1 - 11/2 hr (excuses excuses lol ) But plan on adding HIIT somehow. I do the occasional weekend hiking which i love!

i will just keep doing this for now and see what happens. i am just eating clean(ish) and portion control. I do feel stronger and healthy .
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    mdrolle wrote: »
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

I often wonder where the "bulk/cut" philosophy came from. We're human, so I understand how we regurgitate what we've heard in the quest for the "ever better" method for gaining/losing/cutting, but common sense would seem to me to dictate that whether at a caloric deficit (within reason of course) or not, if we lift/work in a way that makes heavy demands of muscles, they will grow. Sure, that will happen at different rates, but they will grow, because they must in order to keep up with the demand.

Also, the question about cardio, wouldn't we all want our cardiovascular system to be exercised and in the best shape it can be? That being said, I'm not much of a believer in machine based cardio. I lean toward full body, multiple muscle engagement...like say 3 sets of 50 burpees (real ones, not half hearted :)

The more trained you are the harder it gets to add muscle, until it is nearly impossible, inefficient and not worth the time to try at any significant deficit, which is why highly trained individuals will go bulk and cut. They literally have no reserves to draw on to add muscle mass. For the vast majority of the population and especially those here trying to lose weight and get fit (like those in the study), they will do just fine for quite sometime. Sufficient protein, consistent training and lots of sleep and people can and do add muscle while on a deficit.