Costco

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Very worth it if you are a family of 5 or larger.

Yes indeed.

We get all kinds of stuff there - not just "healthy food." Greek Yogurt, coffee, egg whites, frozen fruit, fresh fruit, dog food, charcoal, veggie straws, frozen dinners, milk, cereal, bread, (very occasionally) bakery, cheese, etc. We even got new phones there just recently. I'm a big fan.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    We do Costco for meat, mostly. They have a very good meat department. Works best with a chest freezer though. XD

We go about every other month. I also get my G2 there since they have large packs and I drink a lot of it, but there's lots of other things there. Even with just the two of us, it's been worth the cost of the membership. We don't get much perishable foods there since we won't go through it quickly enough, but packaged goods and things that can go in the freezer are really handy for us to stock up on.

And I'm going Saturday to see what eyeglasses would cost there for me. ^^
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    For my family of 4 with two teen boys it's a lifesaver.

My must-haves:
    Ham and/or turkey lunch meat
    Fage O% plain Greek yogurt
    Berries - Blueberries & blackberries especially
    Cottage Cheese
    Fresh broccoli florets
    Fresh sugar snap peas
    Spinach/Spring Mix lettuce
    Normandy blend frozen veggies
    COFFEE! Best prices anywhere on whole bean coffees
    Dog food - great quality and price on the Kirkland brand
    Bottled water - cheapest around
    Rotisserie chicken - whole or they also have available as just hindquarters and just the breast meat. Great for quick lunches or recipes that need cooked chicken.
    Salmon Burgers - love these things on the grill for a quick dinner

Watch for deals on things like detergent, deodorant, protein drinks/powders. These go on sale regularly so I stock up then.

Eggs & milk are cheaper at Aldi. And I usually get any fresh produce (with the exception of the items listed above) at Aldi because I prefer smaller quantities so I can still have a variety without worrying about using it up in time. (Plus, the apples are HUGE at Costco and I prefer smaller sized fruits so I don't have to try to cut and save for later!)
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For our family of 5 (including our house bunny). We go about three times a month. These items always seem to be a better deal and better quality.

- 6 pack of romaine (our bunny goes through probably 3 packs of these every week) :smiley:
    - kale medley (for us and bunny)
    - spinach (mostly for us and a treat for bunny)
    - skim milk
    - 18 pack of eggs (only .98)
    - grape tomatoes
    - blocks of sharp cheddar cheese
    - 2 pack of mexican shredded cheese
    - goat cheese
    - potatoes
    - strawberries
    - babybell cheese
    - laughing cow cheese wedges (so cheap for a 3 pack)
    - coffee
    - frozen veggies
    - Parmesan cheese
    - chicken tenderlions
    - chicken breast
    - whole pork tenderlion
    - pam cooking spray
    - seasonings (garlic powder, cajun seasoning, etc)
    - brussel sprouts
    - fruit that is in season (blueberries, peaches, etc)

household items
    - laundry detergent
    - batteries

I always look forward to our trips to Sam's. We always hope they have lots of samples that day too! :smiley:

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    We go once a month to Costco, here are my go-tos:

Eggs (you can get a ton of organic/free range/local eggs for cheaper than the grocery store)
    Cottage cheese (Breakstone's 2% is waaaay cheaper at Costco)
    Yogurt (but only if we're going to go through two huge tubs in time)
    COFFEE
    Seltzer
    Ground meat
    Protein powder
    Fresh fruit depending on prices
    ZYRTEC (if you buy the generic Kirkland brand, you can get a whole year's supply for $15! It's the single greatest deal ever for seasonal allergies.)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you live by yourself not worthwhile.
    You can find similar healthy at grocery stores. You just have to look.
    Or find a whole foods in your area.

This isn't actually true. It's not even about the food for me. My Costco has an optical department and I started going to the optometrist there and buying my glasses and my son's and husband's contacts there a few years ago. The year before I had spent over $200 on a pair of glasses with my insurance at my old optometrist. With my insurance at Costco, a nearly identical pair the following year cost $75. That alone more than paid for our membership fee for the year.

Costco and Sam's Club are both so much cheaper than regular stores for things like:

batteries
    laundry detergent and fabric softener
    toilet paper
    paper towels
    dog food (especially the Kirkland grain free varieties)
    vitamins and medications like ibuprofen and allergy pills
    toothpaste
    shampoo
    bath soap
    towels and sheets
    windshield wiper blades

Many of them have their own pharmacy and their prices are very good.

Yes, they have some great deals on food but they've gone to a lot of organic stuff which has pushed the prices higher on a lot of them. Since I'm not one who believes that organic = better I will buy those things at the local grocery instead. That said, I still purchase some things that don't spoil like:

frozen vegetables
    canned vegetables
    rice
    frozen fish (can't get fresh here in the desert often anyway)
    frozen breaded chicken patties
    pasta

Their price on rotisserie chickens and ready to bake pizzas can't be beat, either.

Costco sells higher quality cuts of beef at reasonable prices. I buy their ground beef and freeze it in 3/4 pound (there are three of us) and 1 pound portions in quart size freezer bags.

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I buy their 2.5 lb bag of spinach ($4) their frozen berries (9.99 for ...a big bag haha) and I bought my protein powder from there as well (orgain). I also buy my spring mix from there as it's a $1-2 cheaper than everywhere else. I love Costco. I also got my NutriNinja blender there.

Edit: their large Fage nonfat yogurt container is a great price too...also their chia seeds. Just...just get a membership. It's worth it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    And I'm going Saturday to see what eyeglasses would cost there for me. ^^

I went yesterday to price compare glasses. My optometrist - $1500. Vogue - $808 for 1 pair, $1,067 for 2 pairs. Costco - $399.97 tax included. Getting my glasses at Costco now tyvm. When my ILs die, I'm going to be screwed out of good deals.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    We buy all of our paper products there in bulk.
    Cases of Diet Dr. Pepper, Mexicoke.
    Whole roasted & refrigerated turkey breasts great for making sandwiches.
    Baby back ribs in packs of 3 racks.
    Lots of organic produce fresh and frozen.
    I spend so much money there!!!

Last night we found these "Aussie Bites" cookie things. Not made with wheat, so a bonus for me! Yum.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    They have some really good frozen fish (tuna, salmon) in individual bags. Their frozen chicken breast is a lot less salty than most. Good selection of produce, good meat counter. A rotisserie chicken the size of a turkey is $5 bucks, we eat it for dinner and cut up the rest for sandwiches.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The Kirkland products are about the best "no name" products out there. I prefer them to many name brands. They have some really great Salmon and Whitefish burgers, as well as great prices on fresh and frozen meat and shellfish.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »

Hint: If a price ends in $.97 it is on clearance, usually a pretty good deal, and a chance to stock the freezer!

Also, if there is a "*" on the sign, it means it's an item they will no longer be carrying - you'll want to stock up if it's a favorite!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you know anyone who is a member, ask them to get you a Costco cash card. Then you can shop there without a membership for the first time. See what goods you would consider purchasing in the future, and let that decide if you are going to get a membership or not.

If you get a $50 cash card and end up buying $70 worth of goods - you would just pay the difference.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    We get a lot there. Need to get some of the Kirkland coconut water soon!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    Hi all! Just wondering which healthy foods/products some of you find in Costco that is worthwhile purchasing. I'm trying to figure out if I should become a member...
    Thanks!!

Everything?

I buy most of my stuff from Costco,

Eggs
    Egg whites
    Talipia
    Cod
    Chicken
    Steak
    veggies
    Frozen fruit
    Oils
    Spices
    clothing...

• MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The medicine savings alone (generic Zyrtec and lactase) probably pay for our membership alone. However, I only go when I need these things because Costcos in North Jersey are just a mad house and I can't. I don't mind going in Pennsylvania though when I visit; it's much less intense.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Sweet kale salad (I eat this every day)
    Rotisserie chicken
    Organic ground beef
    Frozen salmon filets
    Apple gouda chicken sausage
    Cheese
    Wine (Kirkland brand of any wine is cheap but high-quality!)
    So much more....

As far as non-food, they have great prices on paper products and cleaning supplies.

And, you do not have to be a family to benefit. If you have a little freezer/storage space, it's a great deal for a single person as well.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's just two of us, so we have to be a little careful of the quantity/size things come in. But for things like toilet paper and dog food, it's great. Costco's Kirkland brand is usually very good quality, too. I buy and freeze what I can such as hamburger meat, or buy things like their frozen fish loins. We've bought a lot of clothing there over the years, as well as small appliances and housewares. Heck, we even just bought a grooming table for our dog from their online store. Oh, and tires, car batteries, and windshield wipers.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    10lb bag of chicken breasts, frozen organic broccoli, protein powder, grass fed beef, eggs, turkey burgers, almond butter, coffee, when they have my favorite in stock. I'm single with no kids, but do a monthly trip to Costco to stock up. Find great stuff for my dog also. Cheaper than Petco or Petsmart and USA made.

Got my new Costco booklet in the mail today. Best day ever
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I live by myself and I am there once a week. I buy most of my fruit and meat there, vitamins, paper products, chia, flax, coconut oil, almonds. They have good deals on protein powders and protein bars, workout clothing, socks, sometimes athletic shoes. I also get my dogs treats, toys and beds there. If it's an appliance like a vacuum, coffee maker, etc., I always check there first as your membership is your warranty and you can't beat their gas prices.