Serious carb problems

Options
So I am on day two and I am making sure I stay within my calorie intake but carbs is my enemy, I like healthy food but always find carbs are making there way in anyone have any tips to reduce them or are they ok if I stay within my calorie intake? I have over 100lbs to lose and don't want to fail

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Do you have a problem with carbs? If not you don't have to avoid them.

Otherwise, you just have to read labels and pick items that dont have as many. Bread has carbs. Fruit has carbs. Pasta has carbs.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Love them carbs!!
  • kennyleanne
    kennyleanne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'd have a problem with carbs I think it's trying to find the balance, over a couple of years I have struggled with weight loss and this is my biggest challenge, I think it's the fear of a set back, definitely think more balance is needed, great tip for checking packages would not be something I would usually do
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well, I am eating fairly low carb right now but I don't think it really matters. It's more about the kind of carbs you eat and the quality of food you are eating. If your carbs aren't junk food I wouldn't worry about it. But if you do want to eat less carbs, try upping the protein and you may find the carbs fall into place naturally.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So I am on day two and I am making sure I stay within my calorie intake but carbs is my enemy, I like healthy food but always find carbs are making there way in anyone have any tips to reduce them or are they ok if I stay within my calorie intake? I have over 100lbs to lose and don't want to fail

Carbs can be "healthy foods."

Carb percentage doesn't matter if you are not hungry, feel good, get enough protein (I recommend .8 g per lb of goal weight when at a deficit), and get enough healthy fats, fiber, and vegetables (which are carbs, really).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight. You don't have to eat a low carb diet to lose weight. You should eat in a way you can sustain long term.
    I find that when I am meeting my calorie goal, protein goal, drinking mostly water or unsweetened tea and eating several servings of fruits or vegetables my carb intake is naturally lower.
    I also find prelogging my food for the day helpful to sticking to my goals.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stick to your allotted calories. Balance your intake. When you have enough protein and fat, the rest of your calories can come from carbs.

This.

I do this everyday. I pre-log the diary with all the foods I need and plan to eat in order to meet my protein goal first and the rest fats/carbs or carbs/fat.

But there is no need to make carbs out to be the devil. Many folks have different goals as far as their macros go. You are still new at this, and I would say after a week of logging and getting used to what you are eating and the logging process, if there is something you want to change in your diet structure, you certainly can, but just know, to loose weight and moreover the amount you have to loose to start out with, does not warrant a huge change in foods or restriction to certain foods, you just need the calorie deficit.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a diagnosed medical reason to avoid carbs, they're fine. If you can fit it into your daily calories while still getting the nutrition you need, go for it. I eat a TON of bread, but I fit it around my other daily needs and I lost weight just fine. There are some people that find lower carb eating plans help them control eating better, but that's a personal preference.

If carbs are what's eating into your daily calories and you find yourself hungry frequently, try upping your protien. Not only will it usually help with feeling full longer, it will support muscle health. If sodium isn't an issue, the small meat, cheese and cracker Lunchables are great snacks. High in sodium, though, so something to keep in mind if that's an issue for you. But one of those after work is enough to hold me until dinner just fine, and calorie-wise, they're not unreasonable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes. Do you plan on restricting carbs even after you get to goal? If not, then manage your carb intake....not eliminate it.

If you have trigger foods....keep those out of the house for awhile. Then find a way to add them back in. Ice cream for example: some people (at goal) don't keep it in the house, but make a point to go out for ice cream once a week. I keep individual wrapped dark chocolate squares.....no Hershey (milk chocolate) Kisses for me.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Stick to your allotted calories. Balance your intake. When you have enough protein and fat, the rest of your calories can come from carbs.

This.

I do this everyday. I pre-log the diary with all the foods I need and plan to eat in order to meet my protein goal first and the rest fats/carbs or carbs/fat.

But there is no need to make carbs out to be the devil. Many folks have different goals as far as their macros go. You are still new at this, and I would say after a week of logging and getting used to what you are eating and the logging process, if there is something you want to change in your diet structure, you certainly can, but just know, to loose weight and moreover the amount you have to loose to start out with, does not warrant a huge change in foods or restriction to certain foods, you just need the calorie deficit.

I do the same thing. I tried logging as I go and it wasn't working.

• dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Carber Daily forum for great information http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'd have a problem with carbs I think it's trying to find the balance, over a couple of years I have struggled with weight loss and this is my biggest challenge, I think it's the fear of a set back, definitely think more balance is needed, great tip for checking packages would not be something I would usually do

Guess what: now I check all labels when I buy something. If there is no label and if it's processed food, I just don't buy. It's far easier to control your calories intake and macros when doing it.
    Otherwise, I couldn't agree more with everyone else on this thread. Carbs are your friend !
    Ideally, you would have a balanced diet i.e. carbs / fat / protein but ultimately, if you only ate carbs within your goal calorie intake, then you are going to lose weight for sure !
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have a very hard time losing weight if I don't seriously watch my carbs. I am insulin resistant, so carbs are my enemy. However, I find as long as I place them strategically in my day, (earlier vs later, especially before a workout), they don't seem to have a negative impact on my weight loss.
  • jamsieboi
    jamsieboi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with carbs. I'm only starting out but have been conscious of what I'm eating this last week. If I take out carbs then I pretty much don't eat.

Going to try and cut them back and fill up more on meats or veg. If I cut them completely I will fail so it's finding a balance.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you're within your calorie intake, they are fine. However, they are my arch nemesis and consistently cause me to either completely blow my calories for the day, or end up at a point where I can only eat a salad for dinner. I have found that I can eat a lot more food and stay a lot more full if I avoid them altogether. I Got this advice from a friend and have found its the easiest way to avoid them:

If it's white, don't eat it. Rice, potatoes, bread, pizza crust, doesn't matter... just don't eat it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do watch my macros and carbs are around 120 gr a day. Weekend are more relaxed but not crazy and still within my calories goals!

Everything I have chosen to eat in my diet structure has carbs in it. Yogurt, popcorn, multi grain bread it eat, veggies and fruits (of course), granola, cereal, protein shakes, and I do not eat a lot of white stuff like rice, potatoes, white bread, corn, pasta but I do still eat them.

Carbs can contain needed fiber. I love me some fiber rich foods.

I still love spaghetti, Chinese food with white rice, white bread toast and butter. These are not the staple of foods in my diet structure but I still eat them.

And the yogurt, popcorn and bread choice is something I eat every single day. Sometimes my fiber is down if I do not.

Choose your carbs! However you feel like you want to get them but if donuts, chips, cookies etc. are your number 1 source and these are a problem (like bingeing or leaves you with zero protein and healthy fats), then that is a personal choice on what to do with that!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It IS CICO at the end of the day but I find LCHF makes is SO MUCH easier to stay within my calorie goals. I'm not a raging, hungry, lunatic like I am on high carbs even with same calories. I am Insulin Resistant and increased hunger is a big part of that and my body does better with lower carbs. YMMV.