Are you concerned with what's in your food other than calories?

Options

Replies

• LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    LannyMixon wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    But you're quite right there though...if someone has an intolerance to an ingredient they should absolutely avoid it

That's not the same as conspiracy fearmongering though

I wasn't aware that is what I was doing, see ya learn something everyday.

I don't think that you were doing any fear-mongering, but an awful lot of threads that start the way yours did end up with a lot of fear-mongering based on some blog that somebody found on the interwebs... and we tend to get a lot of them here...

Don't worry this thread has taught me a whole lot....
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I care about the macros in the foods I eat, yeah. And also the vitamins and minerals. Makes a big difference in how I feel.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, in a way. I have always avoided partially hydrogenated oils; margarine and shortening. Real butter for us, and liquid oils. Not to the point where I will refuse a slice of someone's grandmother's pie, or ask what she used in the crust, but I don't buy it, I read labels and didn't buy tortillas for years because I couldn't find any without the shortening.

That's about it. Partially Hydrogenated Fats.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    as long as it's delicious and doesn't have mushrooms, olives, or most seafood in it, I'm good
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I do care about what I eat as losing weight isn't my only goal, so I like to try get lots of nutrients into my diet and eat from all the food groups. I do worry about the chemicals that are added but there's nothing really I can do about that other than growing/making all my own food which I just couldn't do, so try not to think about it too much. Luckily I don't have any allergies or intolerances to foods so don't need to worry about that.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Only if its a waiter's thumb or something worse... :#
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    There are some things I avoid just cause I can. I no longer eat cheese with cellulose added to it. Why? Cause I don't want to. Plain and simple. I don't want to eat wood chips, cheese don't need them and neither do I.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I often wonder why why some food additives are deemed safe in some countries and completely banned in others..

Australia being one of the strictest. Around 10 years ago i placed a huge order from America of foods not available here, including dog foods/treats.

Long story short i received a letter from customs.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

What an expensive and infuriating experience that was!! I received a couple of things, but the rest was destroyed :sad:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about the way I store my foods.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Simple way to help avoid unknown things: use ingredients like you do a food pyramid. Whole, naturally grown (like in your garden) foods-eat the most of. Minimally processed foods-ok, but don't base your whole diet off of it if you can help it. High- processed/chemical laden foods should be rarely consumed (have any of them actually been GOOD for anyone?) for good measure.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been concerned! But I have also given up, because it is so overwhelming. I eat mainly fresh stuff (which guarantees nothing), but for the last couple weeks or so, I've been eating garbage -- packaged mashed potatoes, a particular canned soup I like, powdered milk . . . .

Also, I have primary biliary cholangitis (PBC; an inherited disease that develops into full-blown cirrhosis in stage 4). It is not from drinking alcohol; purely inherited. They say. But sometimes, I wonder if I developed it because of something I ate, drank, breathed. Why did I get it and not some of my siblings.

My reality is that I have given up and just eat mainly the best I can. When I do eat packaged foods, I do avoid ingredients that are not kosher, like Red 40, which is in an amazing LOT of stuff. (My husband found it in white liquid Pina Colada mix the other day! And it is in almost all chocolate/fudge foods.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    I often wonder why why some food additives are deemed safe in some countries and completely banned in others..

Australia being one of the strictest. Around 10 years ago i placed a huge order from America of foods not available here, including dog foods/treats.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

What an expensive and infuriating experience that was!! I received a couple of things, but the rest was destroyed :sad:

I had the same sort of experience when I lived in Canada. Everyone on a cycling forum was talking about a particular energy drink that was supposed to be The Thing To Use on long bicycle rides. And it came from a reputable company, not some dodgy organisation.

So I ordered some ...

Nope. Not allowed in Canada.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

I had the same sort of experience when I lived in Canada. Everyone on a cycling forum was talking about a particular energy drink that was supposed to be The Thing To Use on long bicycle rides. And it came from a reputable company, not some dodgy organisation.

So I ordered some ...

It's a bloody horrible feeling. I was so looking forward to my delivery only to receive that stupid customs letter! If i remember correctly it was around $600 up in smoke, literally..
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I'm concerned if there is a hair in my soup (or worse) at a restaurant...

avadahm wrote: »
    Simple way to help avoid unknown things: use ingredients like you do a food pyramid. Whole, naturally grown (like in your garden) foods-eat the most of. Minimally processed foods-ok, but don't base your whole diet off of it if you can help it. High- processed/chemical laden foods should be rarely consumed (have any of them actually been GOOD for anyone?) for good measure.

I include the bolded in my diet. My recent blood tests are perfect, and I've lost 90lbs. I'd be sad without my chocolate/ice cream/diet soda/chips.

Chemical laden.... What chemicals? I guess you avoid Dihydrogen monoxide?
    LannyMixon wrote: »
    OK folks I won't bring it up again, certainly not my place to tell anyone what you should and shouldn't eat.

Letting go of the "should and shouldn't eat"s is one of the main reasons behind the majority of MFPers' success.

Amen to that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

So I ordered some ...

It's a bloody horrible feeling. I was so looking forward to my delivery only to receive that stupid customs letter! If i remember correctly it was around $600 up in smoke, literally..

That is bad!

I think mine was only about $100, but still ... so disappointing.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    to me its one of those things i just try not to get too invested in. I do my best to eat a wide verity of food both "healthy" both processed full of "bad stuff". If i worried about every little thing i probably wouldnt eat food, bathe in my dirty San Diego water, have a hospital grade air filter, and never go into public. Gotta pick my battles of what i should or shouldnt stress about.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm writing this a bit off the cuff but I am interested in the developing area of gut health or "the brain in the belly" as it often referred to. I think this newly developing area is quite fascinating and am looking forward to more research coming out about how processed foods and preservatives affect gut health and any links to adverse health, obesity or disease. So yes, to some extent I am interested in what is in my food (apart from calories, macros and micros which interest me very much). To this point in time I haven't altered my behaviour substantially as a result but do aim to eat a mostly minimally processed whole food diet anyway.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    avadahm wrote: »
    High- processed/chemical laden foods should be rarely consumed (have any of them actually been GOOD for anyone?) for good measure.

My understanding is that vitamin and mineral fortification of processed foods has more or less put an end to malnutrition in the developed world, outside of willfully poor diets or abject poverty.

This reminds me...

The added folic acid in my processed breakfast cereal helped prevent spina bifida and other neural tube defects when I was pregnant. It is also found in enriched breads, pasta, and rice according to the CDC.

Iodine added to table salt helps prevent thyroid disorders, as referenced by the Mayo clinic.

And let's not forget, the ubiquitous flouride in water helping prevent tooth decay.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Flouride added to water will start a whole new different debate :blush:
    http://fluoridealert.org/articles/50-reasons/