Whole eggs vs egg whites

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fat sources are abundant. You don't need the yolk per se, but it makes eggs taste better. You can even judge every situation individually, so for example I prefer whole eggs for sunny side up and do 1 yolk 3 whites for scrambled or even all white for omelets when I'm trying to save calories for another meal. I also use white alone when I make an egg and tuna salad and use more yolks than whites when I'm making carbonara.

It's up to your preferences, really, and where you wish to save or not save calories.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Don't waste egg parts, jeez. Eggs are one of the best things you could eat. I'd absorb them through my skin if I could. I'd sit in a vat of eggs and "feed".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs -- they are good for you, they taste better, I'm not tossing yolks, and I don't need to boost my protein with egg whites, since I get plenty of protein (I usually have low fat dairy or smoked salmon with my vegetable omelet rather than adding extra egg whites). But it depends on your goals and overall diet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't stand egg whited anymore at this point. I might fluff up an omelette by adding an extra egg white.. but meh...
  • cindylynnb2016
    cindylynnb2016 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't care for egg whites. I need protein so I eat just plain old regular eggs. Hard boiled in salad or cooked for breakfast.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    There is no right way to go. Eat the way that tastes good to you, but allows you to achieve your goals. Yes, I prefer whole eggs but I also prefer high volume, and I also like to eat bacon and avocado. When I'm getting all of my fat from a whole egg, I can't have bacon and avocado, a dessert later in the day, etc. This is why I choose egg whites.

Yup. This is so me. I'll cut calories in the stuff I don't care as much about to fit in the stuff I love. Like egg whites on my breakfast sandwich so I can have more cheese or low fat dressing on my salad so I can have avocado or nuts. My husband just shakes his head when I tell him no mashed potatoes today - saving the calories for ice cream!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs for me. Do not care much for whites.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Whole egg for me. In fact, even those are a bit on the protein rich side for my macro allotment, so I'll usually take them with bacon, cheese, and a bit of butter.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Mix of both. 1 eggs with 1/2c of egg whites. Thinking I may switch that up a bit as I am always a bit low on fat and a bit high on protein.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I can't stand egg whites, so I always go for the whole egg. It's a flavor thing for me though.... no other reason.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Both are good. I'm very petite so I don't have as much room in my calorie budget for whole eggs, so I either have one egg, or several egg whites. Egg whites are a very amazing way to get extra protein in without a lot of calories. The yolk adds a lot of calories and not a lot of protein. Also it depends of the texture of the recipe I'm using, sometimes the whites actually make the best texture.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    depends .. I think spinach and feta tastes better with egg whites. I think ham and cheese tastes better with whole eggs.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You don't actually need eggs at all. They give me a stomach ache so I don't eat them.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites. I'm not a yolk person so it works very well for me.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    You don't actually need eggs at all. They give me a stomach ache so I don't eat them.

So, do you prefer to not eat whole eggs or just egg whites?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Both. But protein intake is always my number one macro, so I may eat all egg whites and eat more of them and leave off the fat. Sometimes I want the flavor added from the yolk and fat addition is ok!
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm in the smaller camp - I prefer just eating egg whites, mostly because egg yolks make my stomach ache. I can use them in baking, and very occasionally in cooking when I'm willing to risk the ouch, but otherwise...no thanks.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs. Unless we've made mayonnaise or meringue or angel food cake, we don't usually have partial eggs laying around anyway.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

So, do you prefer to not eat whole eggs or just egg whites?

neither
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I just eat the whole egg.