Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No fruit after dinner

Options

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    For myself, I can only eat fruit on an empty stomach. If I eat a meal then eat fruit, I get horrible cramps and gas. Especially with apples. I eat my fruit in the morning before breakfast.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Wine is fruit, yes?

You win.
    <3
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference. My "dessert" tonight was a plum, a nectarine and some cherries. Timing of meals or specific food items for most people has very little impact on weight loss IMHO.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have heard that too from the food combining folks. Protein and fats digest well together, carbs can only go with no fat, and fruit should be eaten alone or three hours after your last meal. The theory is that the body is designed to efficiently break down those categories or combinations and what it cannot will be stored as fat. Do I believe it? Somewhat.

Hmmm. Probability that evolution 'designed' our bodies so that we need to follow arcane, convoluted rules in order to access the nutrition in food, so that we can thrive and breed? Near zero, I'm guessing. Yeah, it's a total guess. But at least I admit it.

;)

Bears repeating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of cherries with dinner last night. Good thing I didn't wait 10 minutes and eat them with my sorbet!
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I have heard that too from the food combining folks. Protein and fats digest well together, carbs can only go with no fat, and fruit should be eaten alone or three hours after your last meal. The theory is that the body is designed to efficiently break down those categories or combinations and what it cannot will be stored as fat. Do I believe it? Somewhat.

Have a read of this, which is a pretty cogent explanation for why rules of food combination are nonsense.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Wow.

Trust me, by the time the food you eat has reached the end of its 23-foor journey through the digestive system, it truly doesn't matter what you eat, or in what order. It all comes out well-mixed ;-)

And actually, by that somewhat weird description, you should be eating your fats (twice the calories of proteins and carbs) with ample carbs/fruit, so your body DOESN'T utilize all of it (assuming you wish to lose weight). If only that worked......LOL!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Where do people keep hearing dumb *kitten* like this...and how can anyone actually take it seriously...I mean there must be people who do if dumb *kitten* like this keeps getting thrown around out there. I swear, the population at large is getting more and more stupid by the day.

I eat fruit almost every night after dinner...it's my desert.
  • grannynot
    Options

Hmmm. Probability that evolution 'designed' our bodies so that we need to follow arcane, convoluted rules in order to access the nutrition in food, so that we can thrive and breed? Near zero, I'm guessing. Yeah, it's a total guess. But at least I admit it.

;)[/quote]

Evolution designed our omnivorous bodies to derive nutrition from pretty much ANYTHING we eat (and in any order). Unfortunately for those of us with extra weight, we're actually a bit too efficient.....LOL!!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    grannynot wrote: »

;)

Evolution designed our omnivorous bodies to derive nutrition from pretty much ANYTHING we eat (and in any order). Unfortunately for those of us with extra weight, we're actually a bit too efficient.....LOL!!

[/quote]

The efficiency at which we extract calories from food is pretty equal between people. How much you eat and how much you burn differs far more.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The efficiency at which we extract calories from food is pretty equal between people. How much you eat and how much you burn differs far more.

It sounded like it was more meant as a general statement. Something along the lines of "if our bodies weren't so efficient, it wouldn't be so easy to get fat in the first place", is how I took it. Really, such a statement just goes to show exactly how easy we have it today, compared to what our species evolved to deal with. We're so screwed if our bodies end up evolving to the current norms, and then we hit a real technological apocalypse style situation one day. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Where do people keep hearing dumb *kitten* like this...and how can anyone actually take it seriously...I mean there must be people who do if dumb *kitten* like this keeps getting thrown around out there. I swear, the population at large is getting more and more stupid by the day.

I was wondering something similar yesterday. So many threads asking: What should I eat? When should I eat? What about calories, macros, sugar? Before exercise, after? How much? What foods? Can I eat a banana or will it turn immediately into fat? Fats make you fat. Sugar makes you fat.

I was wondering when we forgot how to feed ourselves. It's insane.

I find these puzzling too. I really can't imagine people are so helpless, so I suspect that it's more about wanting an excuse to start a thread or a conversation or something, or attention seeking? Dunno.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Inspired by this thread, I decided to have grapes for dessert today. I don't usually have fruit for dessert or dessert after an ordinary dinner, but it was great. Thanks for the tip :)
  • grannynot
    Options

It sounded like it was more meant as a general statement. Something along the lines of "if our bodies weren't so efficient, it wouldn't be so easy to get fat in the first place", is how I took it. Really, such a statement just goes to show exactly how easy we have it today, compared to what our species evolved to deal with. We're so screwed if our bodies end up evolving to the current norms, and then we hit a real technological apocalypse style situation one day. ;)

Thank you, yes, that's what I meant :-) If we all had to go back to feeding ourselves (as in growing, hunting, and processing the food that we needed to eat) - I kind of doubt obesity would be a problem.

• lemurcat12
    edited July 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I was wondering something similar yesterday. So many threads asking: What should I eat? When should I eat? What about calories, macros, sugar? Before exercise, after? How much? What foods? Can I eat a banana or will it turn immediately into fat? Fats make you fat. Sugar makes you fat.

I was wondering when we forgot how to feed ourselves. It's insane.

I find these puzzling too. I really can't imagine people are so helpless, so I suspect that it's more about wanting an excuse to start a thread or a conversation or something, or attention seeking? Dunno.

Not actually helpless, but feeling helpless . . . conditioned to feel helpless (IMO).

Honestly, I don't think you can blame society for this. If someone decides they need help figuring out how to cook or how to feed themselves or how to choose what to order from Starbucks or how to be hydrated (seriously, these have been topics), that's on them, IMO. It's not how most people I know operate at all. It's wanting to be needy and helpless, so that others will take care of your responsibilities for you, I think.
    We live - in the 1st world, at least - in a culture that's increasingly specialized, increasingly complex, increasingly professionalized. We think we need tax people to do our taxes, plumbers to fix our plumbing, mechanics to maintain our cars, fashion consultants to tell us how to dress, Pantone to forecast the colors we should wear or paint our living rooms next Spring, corporations or restaurant chefs to make our food, . . . I could go on & on.

But we don't NEED any of these things. I have pretty complicated taxes, but do them myself. I hire a plumber (and a cleaner) because I delegate jobs I don't like, but I've been known to buy a book on home repair or use a youtube to figure out some appliance-related problem. I certainly don't think most people need to be told how to dress, etc. or think they need a chef (want sometimes, sure).
    Even here on MFP, I can't count how many time I've seen something like "oh, no, don't go to a nutritionist, you need a registered dietician - at least they have a real degree!" If you need someone with a real degree, how could you possibly hope to make such decisions yourself?

Mmm, I think you misunderstand. Lots of nutritionists are quacks. I always find it odd when someone claims to need a doctor or "medical team" or dietitian to figure out how to eat or lose weight -- absent a medical problem, of course. I'd never want to go to someone else for that, as I figure it's my responsibility to figure it out. But with a medical problem all changes. I recommend RDs quite often, to people with medical problems or eating issues. And, yeah, if it's a medical thing, get someone reputable and educated.
    That's back-stopped with media outlets eager for a hot headline, and marketers eager for the latest hook to pull us in, both spreading things that are "majoring in the minors" at best, and outright nonsense way too often. So, drink green tea, eat whey protein not soy protein/eat soy protein not whey protein, eat breakfast/don't, give up carbs/don't, high fat/low fat/no fat, a zillion supplements . . . .

Again, I think the root of belief in this stuff is the want to -- they want to believe there's a quick fix, that they don't have to just do something boring like eat less (or better -- magic superfood diet vs. boring old balanced diet with vegetables for health) and move more.

It's upsetting, and reflects a problem in society today. (And probably always, but I'm feeling down about the world.)

I really think most of these people would benefit most from being told that if they really want it they can figure it out. Self-reliance and educating yourself rather than relying on others to tell you what to do isn't everything, but it shouldn't be nothing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12: Fundamentally, I think you believe the average person has (or should have?) more self-confidence than I believe the average person has. I'm not convinced they want to be helpless, but think a sad number of people don't know how not to be.

I don't think most people "need" to be told how to dress (to pick out just one item) . . . but many acquiesce to being told how to dress, and criticize those who don't play along.

I understand that lots of nutritionist are quacks. (I would pick an RD if I needed higher-level expertise, for sure.)

And I, too, do my own taxes, sometimes fix my own plumbing, etc., and have no qualms about out-sourcing things I could do, but don't feel like doing.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

(Much snippage of intelligent commentary, for length)

Again, I think the root of belief in this stuff is the want to -- they want to believe there's a quick fix, that they don't have to just do something boring like eat less (or better -- magic superfood diet vs. boring old balanced diet with vegetables for health) and move more.

It's upsetting, and reflects a problem in society today. (And probably always, but I'm feeling down about the world.)

I really think most of these people would benefit most from being told that if they really want it they can figure it out. Self-reliance and educating yourself rather than relying on others to tell you what to do isn't everything, but it shouldn't be nothing.

I don't disagree with the above-quoted part, especially the "it's . . . a problem in society today".

In my perception, the main difference between our views is that that I don't think telling people they can figure it out is sufficient, against a tide of social forces saying or implying otherwise. But we are not helpless victims . . . unless we act like helpless victims. It's a choice.