Zero drop shoes

Options
Hey all. Looking for zero drop shoes. Anyone know of any reasonably priced, actual zero drop (not 1 or 2 mm but 0) shoes? I found an old list somewhere but can't find half of the shoes on it anymore. Anyway, thanks!

Replies

• mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Altras. Love them.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »
    Altras. Love them.

This. What I have. DSW carries them.
  • 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Altras. Love them.
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    Altras. Love them.

Thank you both. Models?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Altras. Love them.

The original zero drop shoes. Quite a few other brands have zero drop shoes as well so don't stop with just one brand.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Newtons go from 0-6mm drop and I love them. They feel good to run in. Spendy but I get a work discount, usually. They list the stats for each shoe on the website and every season has some zero drop shoes.

Altras are too wide and deep for me, if long enough my feet just swim in them; also I got some for the kids and they had an odd flap on the back of the sole that my girls decided was weaponry and used to attack each other.

I had some minimalist new balance that I liked, they didn't last well though.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Vibrams, though I'm not sure I'd consider them reasonably priced, and you do have to deal with toe separation and minimal cushioning.

Topo Athletic has a model for women, so I figure they must for men as well. They're less wide and deep than Altras (I have the same issue as @robininfl) but they keep the wide toe box.

Merrell has the Vapor Glove which is low price, but also wears out faster. Also, a Pace Glove and Bare Access Arc 4.

Newtons.

FYI, there's a company that lets you search their inventory by heel-toe offset among other parameters: runningwarehouse.com/searchshoe.html

Obviously that only shows you what they carry, but it's a place to start.
  • ievent
    ievent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I had some minimalist new balance that I liked, they didn't last well though.

I have the New Balance Minimus shoes (they have a 4mm drop though) and absolutely love them. My feet usually kill me when I wear "normal" running shoes, however, since wearing the Minimus shoe, they do not ache. I do have to say that they run a bit big, maybe worth going down 1 - 1.5 sizes to get the correct fit.

• mrp56839
    Options
    Altras. Love them.
    Altras. Love them.

Thank you both. Models?

I have flintstone feet so as a woman, I still wear a man's shoe. My favorite Altra shoe to run in is actually the Torin 1.5, which is a walking shoe. It's a little more firm, less bounce, but still ok on my knees/ankles. I also have the Torin 2.0 running shoe and I find there's too much cushion for my liking so I wear them to the gym mostly. I've been looking at the new Paradigms since my 1.5s have some miles on them, but I dunno... I'm hesitant because the guy at the running store says they're even more cushiony than the 2.0s.

Not sure if that helps any!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of any reasonably priced, actual zero drop (not 1 or 2 mm but 0) shoes?

What activities will you be wearing them for?
  • 4righteousnesssake
    Options

[/quote]

I'm trying to replace elevated heel shoes with zero drop. So everyday use, running, trail, Crossfit etc. Obviously, there's not one shoe that will answer for all of those. I'd be okay with getting more than one pair and model of shoes to fill different needs. I just want zero drop because it's natural.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

I'm trying to replace elevated heel shoes with zero drop. So everyday use, running, trail, Crossfit etc. Obviously, there's not one shoe that will answer for all of those. I'd be okay with getting more than one pair and model of shoes to fill different needs. I just want zero drop because it's natural. [/quote]

Be cautious going 100% 0 drop for every activity if you aren't used to them. Especially running.
  • 4righteousnesssake
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I'm trying to replace elevated heel shoes with zero drop. So everyday use, running, trail, Crossfit etc. Obviously, there's not one shoe that will answer for all of those. I'd be okay with getting more than one pair and model of shoes to fill different needs. I just want zero drop because it's natural.

Be cautious going 100% 0 drop for every activity if you aren't used to them. Especially running. [/quote]

Thank you, that's what I hear. I'm at 4mm right now. And I do most of my running and working out barefoot.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go with the least possible cushion for Crossfit or any other weightlifting activity. The lack of stability while lifting in a cushy running shoe is a bit dangerous - like lifting while standing on jello. Five fingers are ideal, as are the least cushy Merrell Glove models mentioned above.
  • mrp56839
    Options
    Running in zero drop takes a few weeks to fully transition, but tbh, I never want to go back to an incline shoe. If you're used to running barefoot or minimalist, the transition should be easy.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Merrell and Vibram have been my favorites. Right now my most favorite is a pair of handmade moccasins. But those are not reasonably priced. I can usually get Merrells on Amazon for around $40.
  • TenaoCat
    TenaoCat Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have two pairs of vivo barefoot shoes that I wear at work. They are based in the UK, I think. I'm in the US and got them off Amazon.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk

I should add, they have plenty of running/outdoors shoes. I bought some of their dressier, "lifestyle" models to wear in an office.
  • 4righteousnesssake
    Options
    Thank you all. That's helpful information.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Altras. Love them.
    Altras. Love them.

Thank you both. Models?

Instinct 3
  • 4righteousnesssake
    Options
    Thanks.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Merrell Bare Access 4. Just ordered my 4th pair from Amazon. The other 3 have over 600 miles each.