Shakeology vs. Whey Protein

Options
I just started insanity. I completed day 2. My goal is to lose weight and tone up/build a little bit of muscle. Should I use shakeology or whey protein? It has to be one or the other because I can't afford both. People rave about shakeology, but usually they are the ones selling it. So I don't know how honest their opinion is.

Female
25 years old
124 lbs.
5'2''

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Of course they rave! Stay away from the Shakeology. I would go with the whey protein.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Shakeology is overpriced for what it is (all mlm products are and they are also almost always heavily pushed by the people selling them). If you want the added vitamins there are cheaper options out there (Fitmiss Delight / 30 - 40 a month or IdealShake / 50 a month when not on sale for example). If you just want the protein then any protein powder you like the taste of will work.

Comparison I did awhile back (red is current price):
    Just did a quick comparison of what I use and shakeology. This is what I came up with:

Chocolate Shakeology (picked it cause the stuff I use is chocolate):
    $129.95 for 1260 grams
    42 grams a serving/30 servings per bag
    Macros and calories per 100 grams:
    381 calories (160 per serving)
    4.76 g Fat (2 per serving)
    40.46 g carb (17 per serving)
    40.46 g Protein (17 per serving)

Fitmiss Delight Complete Protein Chocolate
    $28.98$25.47 for 889.2 grams
    24.7 grams a serving/32 servings per container
    Macros/Calories per 100 grams:
    365 calories (90 per serving)
    6.07 g fat (1.5 g per serving)
    16.19 g carb (4 g per serving)
    64.76 g protein (16 g per serving)
    it has some micros as well, but not to the level of shakeology. Fitmiss also has a multi though which closes the micro nutrient gap. It's $18.87$19.99. That's $47.85 $45.46 a month. $1.60$1.51 per serving
    I don't see the value in shakeology.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Shakeology has many more ingredients so it has more nutrition. You can alternate one day Shakeology and next day whey protein. This saves $ on Shakeology in the long run. Most people here are haters. Not a seller.
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Don't forget to check the sugar content. Last time I looked at Shakeology it was loaded compared to most wheys.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Whey all the way!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    CSBmommy wrote: »
    My goal is to lose weight and tone up/build a little bit of muscle. Should I use shakeology or whey protein?

Considering your goals, a protein shake isn't necessary and won't affect your results noticeably, unless your diet is deficient in protein. :+1:
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want. Meal replacement/dietary supplement or just protein?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    My goal is to lose weight and tone up/build a little bit of muscle. Should I use shakeology or whey protein?

Considering your goals, a protein shake isn't necessary and won't affect your results noticeably, unless your diet is deficient in protein. :+1:

This. No need to supplement at all. Especially not with snake oil Shakeology.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. Unless you're diet is low on protein, you really dont need either of those things. But if you are looking to boost your protein intake whey protein is a good way to go. I like the protein powders that have very few ingredients in them, no artificial crap or filler stuff. But you can likely get everything you need from regular healthy type foods.
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone that says to save your money for a new wardrobe! A good diet, plenty of rest, fluids and possibly a multivitamin is all that you need for great results from working out.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use Muscle Pharm Combat. It is all I have time for before hitting the pool at 5AM for a 4 mile swim.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Do you have a problem reaching your protein goal with conventional food? If not, then you don't need any protein shake of any kind. If yes, a basic kind should be enough. Do you have a problem eating nutrient rich foods? If not, you don't need any shake, if yes, a basic multi vitamin should be enough.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is a MLM - a pyramid scheme basically, where the people on top benefit from the people on the bottom (who lose money). Don't fall for their tricks.

Whey Protein will help you keep muscle (if you are losing weight) or gain muscle (if you are gaining weight). There is a reason why it is THE most popular and useful supplement for casual and serious athletes. You don't need it if you get enough in your diet (around 0.8grams per lean body mass), but if you struggle to eat enough, a scoop a day will be beneficial.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

This. EAT your protein.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Shakeology has many more ingredients so it has more nutrition. You can alternate one day Shakeology and next day whey protein. This saves $ on Shakeology in the long run. Most people here are haters. Not a seller.

Lmfao! Or take a multivitamin and get your protien from a decent source.

I agree with the other you don't really need either unless you have a hard time getting enough protien. Personally protien shakes really help me get my protien in but others have no problem.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My holistic Doctor tested the energetic quality of Shakeology and it was garbage.

If you think my post sounds crazy, believing all the hype and hoopla about Shakeology is the same.