Tell me about Fitbits

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    firead wrote: »
    I use a One & love it, because I wear a watch and am not allowed to have a smartwatch at my current job.
    But I have broken 2 of them by leaving them clipped to my bra and sending them through the washer & dryer.

I have been fearful of this happening but have managed to avoid that particular disaster for 3.5 years. I always wear mine in a wristband when I sleep and then put it back in the holder and onto whichever bra I'm wearing when I get dressed. That has helped because it's always on me and can't possibly be in the laundry when it comes time to wash the lingerie.

Now I have had it fall off and the dog chewed on it a bit before I noticed. I have a little toothmark on the face of it and I had to buy a new holder (Amazon carries knockoffs that are cheaper and come in different colors) but it survived the experience just fine. :smile:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit blaze because I normally enjoy the actual look of a watch..but you guys have now gotten me interested in the alta lol it looks nice! Do you guys think the calories burned seem pretty reliable?

It will most likely report that you don't burn as many calories as the Blaze reports. The reason for this is the HRM that is in the Blaze. I know for a fact that the models without HRM's underestimate for me and it's looking like the Blaze underestimates a tiny bit too.
  • Kristeenewd
    Kristeenewd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded from a flex to an Alta. I love the look and feel. My only complaint is that it is a lot less sensitive then the flex and often misses steps. I found it is a lot harder to get to 10,000 with the Alta then the flex! I found this frustrating at first and considered going back to the flex...but really like the Alta features. Long story short working a little harder is only going to benefit me in the long run :), so I decided to keep it. The only other downfall with the Alta is that I have to remove it before showering / bathing; whereas the flex, i could leave on, even swim or go in the hot tub with no worries.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love the Charge HR. I've had it for about 6 weeks and it really has made a difference in my motivation to get out and walk. I've also been interested in my sleep pattern and this verified what I suspected...that I don't get enough sleep! I really like how it links to MFP (except lately MFP has been having some technical problems...hope it gets fixed soon.) A bunch of my co-workers have them and we have a bit of a competition to get in our steps - lol.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Don't buy the Charge HR or the Charge. If yo wear this everyday you will disappointed at some point in the months you have the device that the hardware (band it self tears up).. the actual "brains of the watch" will fall out (it actually will break away from the watch band) and the side button will eventually fall off.

I moved to garmin, but my husband moved to the Alta, and this is a much much better device!

Yup. My Charge got torn up and completely broke apart within a couple of months. That's why I switched to the Alta. I didn't want another Charge, even though it was warrantied.

That makes me sad. I absolutely love mine, I feel I'm completely dependent on it, specifically for the HR monitor. I would be crushed if this happens to me :/

Give it some time.. LOL Go to the fitbit forums and you will see where others have had this issue as well.

We did not wear ours to shower, wash dishes, do yard work or anything what would cause the devices to go through abnormal wear and tear. We did get replacements, but the third time around for me was enough!

Strange, I've had my Charge HR since Christmas wear it pretty much 23 hours a day and it's fine and still in perfect condition, maybe you had it on too tight or something
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the band issues happen on a lot of fitness band. They're just easier to fix on the Alta since bands are easy to switch on them. My Soleus GO's bands were falling off as well, which prompted me to get a Fitbit Charge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There are many,many posts on the fitbit forums complaining about the HR strap falling apart.

I started with the fitbit zip which was basic but worked well. I never washed it accidentally as i was always aware to not take (m)any steps if it wasn't attached to me lol

I've got the Alta now and i love it! My main exercise is walking, so i don't need a HR monitor or stair clumbing thing.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How does the Alta deal with tracking exercise on a stationary bike? Can it measure it or do you have to manually track it?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kschramm7 wrote: »
    How does the Alta deal with tracking exercise on a stationary bike? Can it measure it or do you have to manually track it?

Curious about that too... One of the reasons I don't really bother with a fitbit anymore, as I do so much stationary bike.

I had the One, it gave really weird and illogical numbers and I stopped using it because I didn't know what to do with it in the Summer when I started wearing dresses (I don't understand how it can be comfortable/discreet to wear it on a bra!).
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Alta has auto track features, which you can adjust. it can tell when I am on my regular bike, maybe it also works for stationary bikes as well.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta/Alta-Cycling-and-Steps-for-Challenges/td-p/1173939
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Curious about that too... One of the reasons I don't really bother with a fitbit anymore, as I do so much stationary bike.

I had the One, it gave really weird and illogical numbers and I stopped using it because I didn't know what to do with it in the Summer when I started wearing dresses (I don't understand how it can be comfortable/discreet to wear it on a bra!).

Clip it on that little bit of material between the cups of a bra. It's not noticeable there
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone! As much as I wanted the Alta, I think the ChargeHR is the better choice for me with the kinds of activities I do. Ordered one today, should arrive on Monday! I will miss my Gear Fit and funky bands....but pink will have to do :-)
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    They break and get water in them. I wouldn't say they are overly accurate. But they do keep you accountable. They'll replace it so long as your in the warranty period. But don't expect to get that warranty replaced, your still subject to the original purchase date. Stupid.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I wear mine right in the front middle of my bra and it's perfect there. I tried it on one of the straps for awhile and I didn't like it there but front and center it is completely unnoticeable and it's never fallen off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    firead wrote: »
    I use a One & love it, because I wear a watch and am not allowed to have a smartwatch at my current job.
    But I have broken 2 of them by leaving them clipped to my bra and sending them through the washer & dryer.

So far I've avoided washing mine. I did misplace it once. I could tell it was in the house, as it was still syncing, but not in my office as it was not synching every 15 minutes. I don't have a smart phone, so couldn't use a bluetooth finder on my phone. My neighbor let me download a bluetooth finder app on her phone and this helped narrow down where it was hiding - in my gardening shorts in a back pocket that I don't usually use.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had a charge hr I wore everyday for a long time, no issues with durability. I upgraded to a Blaze, gave my charge to my mom, and it is still working great.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I wear mine right in the front middle of my bra and it's perfect there. I tried it on one of the straps for awhile and I didn't like it there but front and center it is completely unnoticeable and it's never fallen off.

This is what I do too. I usually turn it inwards (so the back of the clip faces outside) so I won't lose it if something happens.

I love it, I'll never own a wrist tracker when this one is so discreet and I don't even know I'm wearing it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

It makes no sense how the Alta can track the stationary bike.. It's a step tracker! The Alta info says it can track it, but I'm a little suss on that one :huh:
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have the Alta. Love it. Much less clunky looking than other fitbits. I like the watch feature and the text feature. I never thought I would like or need to text feature but I really like it and have used it!

I know it says it can track bike. I don't see how since it can't track pushing a shopping cart or stroller. By the way when I am pushing cart I put it in my cross odd purse and it tracks or I bought a little silicon holder thing that the Fitbit slips into (without straps) and I can hook it to my bra like the Fitbit oNe
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you checked the specs of the blaze vs the gear fit? The blaze is not bigger than a gear fit 2.