Do you get told you don't need to lose weight?

Options
12346»

Replies

• heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes all the time. I'm nowhere near the standard definition of "overweight" (I'm 5'1" and 105 lbs) but it's all subjective. Here in America people would consider me skinny but when I go to Korea (where I'm from) people call me chubby and comment on my excess weight. So all that really matters is how I feel and what I think. And I think I could have a better body that I'm more happy with, and be a better version of myself so that's why I choose to lose weight. I do it for me.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's funny how my friends and family have already told me that I don't need to lose any more weight since they now see my body as "average" build... In reality, I have about 50 lbs to go. I also feel like I'll probably always see some extra lbs on myself that I'd like to lose.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I saw my Dr yesterday and he noticed I had gained weight, from 180 to 230. He said it looked much better and I am at a good weight for my height. He said "Your BMI is 28, you are at the perfect weight". What? I am overweight, how is that a perfect weight. My stomach almost hangs over my belt now, which it never did when I was 180. I understand that I have low muscle, but to say that I look better overweight than I did at a normal BMI? The guy is obese himself, so his perception may be skewed, but it doesn't matter what he says, I know I need to lose this weight again. I won't be happy until I get back there and I am sure as hell not happy at this weight.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    just say thank-you and move on. most people don't want you succeed, maybe their own insecurities. then they like to tell you, "you are too thin". what they really want to say is" like you when you are fat/bigger/healthy! jmo
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I saw my Dr yesterday and he noticed I had gained weight, from 180 to 230. He said it looked much better and I am at a good weight for my height. He said "Your BMI is 28, you are at the perfect weight". What? I am overweight, how is that a perfect weight. My stomach almost hangs over my belt now, which it never did when I was 180. I understand that I have low muscle, but to say that I look better overweight than I did at a normal BMI? The guy is obese himself, so his perception may be skewed, but it doesn't matter what he says, I know I need to lose this weight again. I won't be happy until I get back there and I am sure as hell not happy at this weight.

That is probably his personal bias. The doctor probably wants to be 28 BMI (for himself) since it is considered "overweight" BMI but not "obese" which is 30+ BMI. Even a 10% drop in weight can be beneficial from a health point of view.

I do that sometimes too, unintentionally. I like 22 BMI the best aesthetically. So when women say that they are going for 18-20% I will pipe in that they look perfect the way that they are. But really that's really my own opinion.

I'm learning on MFP that there are people happy to get into overweight from obese or from "fit" to "ideal", etc. Plus there are some who are athletes who need lower BMI to function well in their sport. It is all individual perpectives.

Typo edit
  • leslienicole318
    leslienicole318 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I started at 151 and am now 141.6. When I tell my aunt (my diet buddy) and my mawmaw and other various close relatives I want to weigh 115 they tell me no way and I'll look disgusting and I don't even need to lose any weight at all. I think I'm gonna look great at 115 (I'm 5'5" and its a health BMI) so when family tells me I'm fine how I am, it's a little disheartening but I know what's best for me

115 is at the low end of the Normal BMI range for your height. What's your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

It says thin body frame. 2" elbow width, 5.5" wrist