My Job Involves a lot of Drinking and no Sleep

hey,

I recently just started my summer job which i am doing for a month, so basically i am an entertainer in a hostel so i have to go out and be friendly withthe guests so i have to conduct pub crawls, drinking games, and parties almost everynight.... In the day i am too tired to do anything let alone excersize ...But the thing is i dont want to gain a lot of weight... Gaining weight is inevitable with this job but i dont want to gain a lot...i lost a 20lb over the year and i dont want to start again.... Any advice?

Replies

• lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    mobogogo wrote: »
    hey,

I recently just started my summer job which i am doing for a month, so basically i am an entertainer in a hostel so i have to go out and be friendly withthe guests so i have to conduct pub crawls, drinking games, and parties almost everynight.... In the day i am too tired to do anything let alone excersize ...But the thing is i dont want to gain a lot of weight... Gaining weight is inevitable with this job but i dont want to gain a lot...i lost a 20lb over the year and i dont want to start again.... Any advice?

Soda and lime looks like gin & tonic... really there's *no* reason to gain weight in this job - put some calories aside for a drink or two if you really feel it's a requirement - and surely pub crawls and organised games can involve a good amount of moving around?
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    I agree with packerjohn , you really don't have to drink every night on a job plus you can just order soda, water anything but liquor, you can tell your people sorry I don't drink , my husband has to take customers sometimes to lunch it dinners and they drink but Hubby passes up on it and orders a salad
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Agree with the other posters.. Alcohol is loaded with calories. Substitute something else so you don't drink much. You can have some alcohol, but fit it in your calorie counts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    There are lots of people who work late/over night shifts and still get in to get their exercise done and not drink themselves out on the job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Weight gain in this job is inevitable. BS, you've given up already. I'm pretty sure your employer doesn't require you to get black out drunk every night.

Back off on the drinking a bit, saving the calories and enabling you to not be a slug all day until time to go drinking again.

Pretty much this. I'd think with a job like that, you really shouldn't be drinking along with the guests, or at least very little. If you are working at night, off in the day, just adjust your schedule so as to sleep enough and then use the time off to exercise some. Not the same schedule as others, but no reason it can't fit in.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    WAIT A MINUTE! Where are you located?

Your profile says you are 19 years old. The legal drinking age is 21in the USA. I realize there are people on the forum that are not in the USA, but most are.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    There's plenty of clinical evidence that people "act" drunk when they're simply around other drunk people/believe they've been drinking. So there's really no reason you couldn't be good at being the life of the party while still staying sober (or reasonably sober). The only person who has to know that not all of your drinks are alcoholic is the bartender, and good tips and good custom from the rest of your party should be more than enough for them to keep their mouth shut.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Whoah, stop jumping all over this person!

This is a very common summer job in Europe, particularly for British teenagers (who are allowed to drink from 18). They are expected to maximise alcohol revenue in the venues they take their groups to, by organising drinking competitions, forfeit games, etc. There is an expectation that they will drink, as their clients will also be drinking to excess. And yes, it is fairly common for people doing this job to be expected to drink to unconsciousness.

These are not the most scrupulous of employers, and a dry host will be perceived as "boring" and is unlikely to last long - it's not unusual for them to be driven out of jobs.

This sounds bogus -- drunk people aren't going to be good hosts, and are often quite boring and irresponsible. If you want someone organizing fun and encouraging others to drink (setting aside my issues with the last, which I don't think is ethical at all), better that person be sober and certainly not blackout drunk, ugh.

Your link didn't work for me, but I found this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/09/magalufs-new-drinking-laws-flouted-britons-punta-ballena-curfew-fines-police. What it talks about is pretty disgusting (not that there aren't disgusting pub crawls in the US sometimes), but it says nothing about it being an ideal for the host to be drunk.

And yeah, it's pretty easy to make a bunch of drunk people think you are drinking with them when you are not.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    AJF230 wrote: »
    Keep a business card or small note with you, typed with " I'm responsible for this group I brought in here and we are on a crawl. So I've got to drink very light. Fix me a club soda with lemon and lime and some cherry juice in a highball." Hand that casually to the bartender and say "I'll have my usual!" Pretty soon you won't need the card. Boom...nonalcoholic drink, no big deal made of it. Your liver will thank you.
    If you want a drink at some point, don't say "my usual."

EDIT: you're bringing them business, so they'll do whatever you ask

^This. Bartenders are your best friends when you don't want to drink alcohol. There's no reason you can't be a sober and fun host and have no one be the wiser. Plus as the night goes on your party guests are less likely to notice, so you can always have 1-2 early in the evening and switch over to seltzer water as the night goes on.