Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Synthesized Meat

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    But people don't need meat so it doesn't matter. Theres already plenty of meat-like substitutes out there. Your question is irrelevant.

They aren't that meat-like -- I like plenty of vegetarian protein sources, like tofu, tempeh, and seitan, but they don't taste like meat and I personally dislike the ones that are mock meat (I have an aversion to mock anything, which is why I always wonder why people make cauliflower rice or mash instead of just letting cauliflower be cauliflower!)* Also, the nutrient profile is not the same (which is both good and bad depending on what specifically you are looking for).

I agree that people don't need meat, and I am not sure if I'd eat synthetic meat, as it kind of squicks me out. I'm pretty open about having some issues with food that I can't logically defend, though, and that would be one of them.

I eat meat because I like it (especially fish). I could give it up, but having thought about the issues and done periods of vegetarianism and even plant-based, I don't currently agree that there's an ethical reason to do so (I am concerned with sourcing, but the killing of animals for food itself is not something I consider immoral). I respect those who have different opinions. (The environmental issue is a a separate one, of course. I could probably come around to the synthetic thing when it stopped seeming so odd and new.)

*Jokey West Wing reference.
  • C_Duffin
    C_Duffin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as natural food. All food is processed.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to scale it back would be less people = less people having kids. Which totally isn't happening because people think they need to make 5 more of themselves.

People are having fewer kids in most of the rich countries, it's the third world where this is happening. The best way anybody has found to get people to have less kids is to give women educations.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    People keep trying to make things that taste like meat. Ain't nobody trying to make meat that tastes like vegetables. That's all I'm saying.

But nobody eats a plain old hunk of unseasoned meat. And what do you season meat with? Plants.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    While I do eat meat, no I would not eat that. I'd take the real stuff other that any day.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to scale it back would be less people = less people having kids. Which totally isn't happening because people think they need to make 5 more of themselves.

People are having fewer kids in most of the rich countries, it's the third world where this is happening. The best way anybody has found to get people to have less kids is to give women educations.

But still, most people have kids. Period. No one cares about the effect on the environment a large population has. Theres like 7 billion people on this planet. That is unsustainable the way people are eating, especially since many countries are moving towards eating like Americans, such as China.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I think of how many millions of acres of farmland are dedicated to growing feed for the meat animals (not to mention the cost of the equipment to do that); plus how much money is devoted to raising the animals themselves, I doubt the Farm Lobby will let this go too far? But yes, I'd try it, assuming it was readily available and competitively-priced. I've eaten things like Spam and "potted meat" - how much worse could it be?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    People keep trying to make things that taste like meat. Ain't nobody trying to make meat that tastes like vegetables. That's all I'm saying.

I feel like this deserves quote of the week.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

How many people are making new kinds of meat these days...?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

But nobody eats a plain old hunk of unseasoned meat. And what do you season meat with? Plants.

Rocks and plants.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I've longed for a long time for a plastic cup filled with a liquid that [is] almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

Hi There! This is Eddie your shipboard computer just alerting you to the fact that the NutriMatic Machine has now tapped into my logic circuits to ask me why the human prefers boiled leaves to anything we have to offer him. And wow, it’s a biggy! Gonna take a little time to work out! Share and enjoy!
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options

I do, all of the time, unless I am adding cheese to it. When I get home from work in the morning, my dinner will be a half pound of 73/27 ground beef, a few ounces of Colby Jack, and a couple of slices of bacon, all mixed together into a gooey, fatty, delicious concoction.
    Then when I wake up tomorrow, I'll mix the other half pound with goat cheese and pepper jack.
    Problem?
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options

I do, all of the time, unless I am adding cheese to it. When I get home from work in the morning, my dinner will be a half pound of 73/27 ground beef, a few ounces of Colby Jack, and a couple of slices of bacon, all mixed together into a gooey, fatty, delicious concoction.
    Then when I wake up tomorrow, I'll mix the other half pound with goat cheese and pepper jack.
    Problem?

Ha, no problem. You do it however makes you happy. I was just making a counter point to yours. I probably could have done without the "nobody" . But my point still stands. Spices, seasoning, and adding veggies like onions and garlic to meat sure sound to me like people are trying to make meat taste like veggies. If you get by with your cheese and beef alone, good on you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Now that I am off of most processed foods this does not sound interesting but that might change.

For some reason when I started eating to recover my health meat usage dropped like a rock. At age 65 it has been a while since I have had a hamburger when I use to eat them daily.

I agree commercial farming practices carry some risks over when all farming was organic based.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Problem?

Ha, no problem. You do it however makes you happy. I was just making a counter point to yours. I probably could have done without the "nobody" . But my point still stands. Spices, seasoning, and adding veggies like onions and garlic to meat sure sound to me like people are trying to make meat taste like veggies. If you get by with your cheese and beef alone, good on you!

Im my case, I mix veggies into my meat to make the veggies taste better. The meat just needs a sprinkle of salt.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options

Problem?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a good casserole, meatloaf, or even certain marinades from time to time, but I have found the preparation process to not be worth the relatively mild increase in flavor and/or change in texture. Some people love it. I find that on the whole, it's a total waste of time and effort, when the meat alone is just fantastic.
    I almost liken it to the blasphemy that is crap like maple flavored bacon, or any other sugared meat.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Im a meat eater....I would try it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a good casserole, meatloaf, or even certain marinades from time to time, but I have found the preparation process to not be worth the relatively mild increase in flavor and/or change in texture. Some people love it. I find that on the whole, it's a total waste of time and effort, when the meat alone is just fantastic.
    I almost liken it to the blasphemy that is crap like maple flavored bacon, or any other sugared meat.

There is a cold place in hell for people who 'sugar cure' any kind of meat! All it really needs is a little sprinkle of salt and sometimes garlic (unless you are grilling it - then it needs full fat butter as a finisher!).