My Job Involves a lot of Drinking and no Sleep

Options

Replies

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I personally would do a cheater diet sprite with mint and fake me a mojito...delicious and calorie free!?!? Plus you can sip to your heart's content and no one would be the wiser!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    WAIT A MINUTE! Where are you located?

Your profile says you are 19 years old. The legal drinking age is 21in the USA. I realize there are people on the forum that are not in the USA, but most are.

There are actually a ton of people from other countries on this site (esp. Europeans) Since she says she works in a hostel, I think she probably isn't an American. Having said that, I still can't imagine a job where you are required to drink.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    Options

Your profile says you are 19 years old. The legal drinking age is 21in the USA. I realize there are people on the forum that are not in the USA, but most are.

Lots aren't in the US, and the fact that she said "pub crawl" tells me she is in Europe. People in the US go to "bars", not "pubs". And I don't really think "pub crawls" are that big here but they are in Europe.

I agree with those who say drink something else and no one will really know what you are drinking. I think Sprite with lime or sparkling water with lime are perfect because people will assume that you have a vodka or gin drink. I did that several times when I was younger and pregnant but didn't want my co-workers to know about it. They would have thought my not drinking was odd, but they just assumed I was. I think @AJF230 has a great suggestion.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Lots aren't in the US, and the fact that she said "pub crawl" tells me she is in Europe. People in the US go to "bars", not "pubs". And I don't really think "pub crawls" are that big here but they are in Europe.

I agree with those who say drink something else and no one will really know what you are drinking. I think Sprite with lime or sparkling water with lime are perfect because people will assume that you have a vodka or gin drink. I did that several times when I was younger and pregnant but didn't want my co-workers to know about it. They would have thought my not drinking was odd, but they just assumed I was. I think @AJF230 has a great suggestion.

Actually I live in a mid size city in the Midwest. The bar owners in the downtown area have a semiannual event called a pub crawl.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Whoah, stop jumping all over this person!

This is a very common summer job in Europe, particularly for British teenagers (who are allowed to drink from 18). They are expected to maximise alcohol revenue in the venues they take their groups to, by organising drinking competitions, forfeit games, etc. There is an expectation that they will drink, as their clients will also be drinking to excess. And yes, it is fairly common for people doing this job to be expected to drink to unconsciousness.

These are not the most scrupulous of employers, and a dry host will be perceived as "boring" and is unlikely to last long - it's not unusual for them to be driven out of jobs.

For example

To anwer your question though, try and cut down on alcohol as much as you can. If you're discreet, you can sub water for vodka in shots. If you really have to drink, try and keep to clear spirits (vodka, gin, etc) as these are lowest in calories. Steer clear of sugary drinks and lager. Try and sneak in some singles and (diet) mixer as well, rather than always going for the double.

Can the person drink clear soda or water and pretend like they're drunk?

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Actually I live in a mid size city in the Midwest. The bar owners in the downtown area have a semiannual event called a pub crawl.

I'm sure there are some pub crawls in the US. But they are more commonplace in the UK. Her job leading pub crawls is a summer job, not a semi-annual event. When I read the OP I assumed she was in the UK, not that she was an underage drinker in the US. I didn't even realize that she was under 21.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I've been on many pub crawls. Never knew that's all it took to make me European...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is a very common summer job in Europe, particularly for British teenagers (who are allowed to drink from 18). They are expected to maximise alcohol revenue in the venues they take their groups to, by organising drinking competitions, forfeit games, etc. There is an expectation that they will drink, as their clients will also be drinking to excess. And yes, it is fairly common for people doing this job to be expected to drink to unconsciousness.

These are not the most scrupulous of employers, and a dry host will be perceived as "boring" and is unlikely to last long - it's not unusual for them to be driven out of jobs.

This sounds bogus -- drunk people aren't going to be good hosts, and are often quite boring and irresponsible. If you want someone organizing fun and encouraging others to drink (setting aside my issues with the last, which I don't think is ethical at all), better that person be sober and certainly not blackout drunk, ugh.

Your link didn't work for me, but I found this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/09/magalufs-new-drinking-laws-flouted-britons-punta-ballena-curfew-fines-police. What it talks about is pretty disgusting (not that there aren't disgusting pub crawls in the US sometimes), but it says nothing about it being an ideal for the host to be drunk.

And yeah, it's pretty easy to make a bunch of drunk people think you are drinking with them when you are not.

Why would that article say anything about the expected job descriptions for the host? That's a very silly argument to make. We now have two people who actually have experience with this phenomenon saying it's expected. Do you have any real reason to doubt their experience

Yes, I do. You can't do a job of the sort described as well if you are drunk out of your mind, so no employer would require that the person be drunk. It makes no sense at all, and is not supported by the description of the events (as I linked), which refer to the behavior and actions of the vacationers.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I've been on many pub crawls. Never knew that's all it took to make me European...

Yeah, I've been on some in the past and am exposed to some on occasion that are not far from where I live. So guess I'm European too!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

This sounds bogus -- drunk people aren't going to be good hosts, and are often quite boring and irresponsible. If you want someone organizing fun and encouraging others to drink (setting aside my issues with the last, which I don't think is ethical at all), better that person be sober and certainly not blackout drunk, ugh.

Your link didn't work for me, but I found this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/09/magalufs-new-drinking-laws-flouted-britons-punta-ballena-curfew-fines-police. What it talks about is pretty disgusting (not that there aren't disgusting pub crawls in the US sometimes), but it says nothing about it being an ideal for the host to be drunk.

And yeah, it's pretty easy to make a bunch of drunk people think you are drinking with them when you are not.

Why would that article say anything about the expected job descriptions for the host? That's a very silly argument to make. We now have two people who actually have experience with this phenomenon saying it's expected. Do you have any real reason to doubt their experience

Yes, I do. You can't do a job of the sort described as well if you are drunk out of your mind, so no employer would require that the person be drunk. It makes no sense at all, and is not supported by the description of the events (as I linked), which refer to the behavior and actions of the vacationers.

Anyone who has ever been on a Club 18-30 holiday, or worked as one of their reps would vehemently disagree.

ETA: It wasn't really my scene, but I had plenty of friends who went on that type of holiday, and heard all the horror stories. Now hearing the same stories from the teenage children of these friends.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    get a different job.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Pull the move from Coyote Ugly. Take a shot, and "chase" it with a beer. By chasing it, you're actually spitting the shot back in the beer bottle. No drinking on the job at all. Boom.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so you don't have to drink, though you can. remember that many drinks are calorie sinks and consider that.
    many people work third shift and find time to exercise

partying is not an excuse not to exercise.
    and of course, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. you just need a calorie deficit. however, drinking every night, you would probably want to exercise or you might not getting the nutrition you need
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    Keep a business card or small note with you, typed with " I'm responsible for this group I brought in here and we are on a crawl. So I've got to drink very light. Fix me a club soda with lemon and lime and some cherry juice in a highball." Hand that casually to the bartender and say "I'll have my usual!" Pretty soon you won't need the card. Boom...nonalcoholic drink, no big deal made of it. Your liver will thank you.
    If you want a drink at some point, don't say "my usual."

EDIT: you're bringing them business, so they'll do whatever you ask

Good plan!

What I'm used to is customers buying employees drinks and paying for alcoholic drinks but the bartender knowing to give the employee a non-alcoholic drink. I wasn't sure how this would happen when the employee is not in her home establishment, and you have one solution.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I used to work like this in my 20's. Club soda, lime, and an umbrella. Laugh at dumb jokes, dance, and save the calories!

The owners really just want you to have the energy around people so they continue to have fun and buy drinks. Carry a kit with you in your hand bag. If someone buys you a drink, sip slowly and then eventually excuse yourself to the restroom. Once there, dump the drink and fill the glass back up with sparkling water and some food dye if you need to. If someone offered to buy me a drink, I always ordered vodka/sprite because it's clear and you can easily switch it out for sparkling water.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your job involves a lot of exercise to me. Dancing, walking to bars etc. Just lay off the high calorie booze and log everything.

I really don't see what the problem is here.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I worked as a paid patron in my early twenties. I didn't have to drink alcohol, but did have a drink in front of me most of the time.
    I agree with others who say to just fake it.