natural vitamins for depression

Options

Replies

• Dochis
    Dochis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Congrats on your baby! I've had 3 kids in the last 10 years and my emotional/ mental health has taken a toll. Motherhood can be very overwhelming, and many of us have a hard time adjusting. Take heart, it is temporary and we mothers overcome it, but it takes time. Be patient and kind to yourself.
    While PPD is complex, involving many factors, the importance of nutrition cannot be underestimated. Iron deficiency, for example, will make you more irritable, forgetful and tired. Hormonal health will also play a big role. I could go on and on. Have a physical first, and your doctor can tell you if you have any deficiencies. Try improving your diet and supplementing any dificiencies before trying antidepressants. A health diet is powerful!!
    In my case, this is what worked:

-Probiotics - Your gut health is key. You will not absorb nutrients properly if it is not healthy. Pick a good quality, from a trusted source. Taking this alone will improve your overall health greatly. Do not rely on yogurt, it does not have a variety of strains and they have too much sugar.
    -Avoid sugar as much as you can. Sugar has a damaging effect on the nervous system.
    -B12 - your body needs it to generate energy
    -Iron - An issue after blood loss
    -Vit D - for calcium absorption
    -Ground flax seed -stabilizes hormones. I take 3 spoonfuls with berries for breakfast. PLEASE try this!

Remember, take one day a time...I hoped this helped.

• kak22283
    kak22283 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Check out 5htp!
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Christian music, it's a natural antidepressant. Good vibes flow through you. Try it out.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Niacin, not non-flushing, start with 250s and move up to 500s up to 3x daily or more. Rhodiola rosea, maca, b complex and d3.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting help!!! Take care of yourself.

Here are some studies relating to vitamins, alternative therapies, and postpartum depression.
    Always look for high-quality information. Peer-reviewed professional journals, university websites,
    government websites...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26840379
    "While 13 studies, including three [fish oil] supplementation trials, found no evidence of an association, 22 studies
    showed protective effects from healthy dietary patterns, multivitamin supplementation, fish [oil] intake, calcium,
    Vitamin D, zinc and possibly selenium."
    Published in the Journal of Maternal & Child Nutrition, Feb. 2016

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25233808
    "Our study demonstrated that lower [vitamin D] levels were associated with postpartum depression. This
    association was independent of other possible variables."
    Published in the British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Nov. 2015

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3992885/
    Complementary and alternative medicine therapies for perinatal depression
    (free full text of article)
    "Evidence for augmentation with omega-3 fatty acids, exercise or folate with standard treatments ...
    Bright light therapy may be reasonable therapeutic options for some ...
    Acupuncture and massage may provide benefit ... but should not replace more standard therapies...
    St. John’s Wort, at a daily dosage of 300-1200mg, had an advantage over placebo and efficacy similar to tricyclic or SSRI antidepressants...
    [light therapy] initial dosing of 30 minutes beginning within ten minutes of awakening"
    Published in Best Practice & Research, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology, Jan. 2014

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24158923
    "There is insufficient evidence to conclude that selenium, DHA or EPA prevent postnatal depression. There is
    currently no evidence to recommend any other dietary supplement for prevention of postnatal depression."
    Cochrane Review, Oct. 2013

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3670433/
    Nutritional interventions in depression and perinatal depression
    (free full text article)
    "Nutritional status, particularly fatty acids, folate, and B12, have been shown to affect depression. Low omega-3 fatty acid status has been linked to an increased incidence of depression ...
    B-6 supplementation may be a valuable adjunctive therapy in the treatment of depression ...
    Folate, vitamin B-12, and vitamin B-6 are critical factors in ... neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and
    norepinephrine ...
    Depressed patients have reduced concentrations of n-3 fatty acids... n-3 fatty acids are significantly depleted in
    the red blood cell membranes of depressed patients. Depleted n-3 fatty acid levels were strongly associated with
    the severity of depression.
    Major sources of [n-3] are fish, canola oil, soybean oil, and walnuts."
    Low tryptophan can contribute to depression.
    Yale Journal of Biological Medicine, June 2013
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Dochis wrote:
    -Probiotics - Your gut health is key. You will not absorb nutrients properly if it is not healthy. Pick a good quality, from a trusted source. Taking this alone will improve your overall health greatly. Do not rely on yogurt, it does not have a variety of strains and they have too much sugar.
    -Avoid sugar as much as you can. Sugar has a damaging effect on the nervous system.
    -B12 - your body needs it to generate energy
    -Iron - An issue after blood loss
    -Vit D - for calcium absorption
    -Ground flax seed -stabilizes hormones. I take 3 spoonfuls with berries for breakfast. PLEASE try this!
    Can you point us to some scientific support for your ideas, please?
    Here's a good place to start: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    B's and D change my mood like crazy. When im dealing with the blues.. like bad blues my dr does a work up and im usually heavily deficient in both of those. Im usually D deficient anyway. i now get b12 shots.. my body sucks and absorbing nutrients.. thanks Crohns disease!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24158923
    "There is insufficient evidence to conclude that selenium, DHA or EPA prevent postnatal depression. There is
    currently no evidence to recommend any other dietary supplement for prevention of postnatal depression."
    Cochrane Review, Oct. 2013

Cochrane Reviews are top notch.

"Natural" is just a buzzword that does not mean "best".
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I struggle with PPD and find therapy really helps me. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this too.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of different anti depressants that effect everyone differently. It's not a one time fix. I've struggled with depression for a few years, all the while I've tried out several kinds. Tell your doctor how the original ones affected you and let them know what you didn't like about it, they'd more than likely prescribe something else. But of course only go onto them if you feel that you should. Of course I can't say Id ever experienced PPD, so go with what you feel is right.
  • WillpowerBurton
    WillpowerBurton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression for more than a decade, and it IS worth finding which psych meds actually work for you, and don't give you *kitten* side-effects.
    But barring meds:
    OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENTS! I recommend Krill Oil, it's the most bio-available (easiest to absorb) form or omega 3s.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Exercise, talking with other mums plus medicine helped me
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Christian music, it's a natural antidepressant. Good vibes flow through you. Try it out.

Please do not suggest music as an alternative to antidepressants, especially for PPD which can be dangerous.

Music IS an antidepressant. I'm sharing what has aided me in my struggles. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't suggest. I find that disrespectful. I show respect here so I expect the same to be reciprocated.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Absolutely visit your doctor ASAP.

My Dr. had me start taking Optivites. They are in the women's section of the health food store. I don't know if they work, of if the placebo effect works, but I like them.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Exercise preferably in the morning when you start your day and a well balanced diet is probably your best bet. If you eat meat then it's likely you are getting plenty of vitamin B's already. St. John's Wart can help with mild to moderate depression. I've heard niacin can help in high doses, but look for the non-flush.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get blood work to check your vitamin D status.
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health-conditions/depression/
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lack of minerals like zinc, copper and magnesium can affect PPD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22952489