natural vitamins for depression

Options

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I am on medication for OCD but a high enough dosage to treat depression but I was also prescribed a high dose of Vitamin B6 (200mg) for my hormonal depression related to my period. I will warn you it tastes like hell but it's honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. Talking to your doctor will help you discover what you need, you may need a combination of 'traditional' medicine and vitamins or one but not the other, but a doctor will be able to guide you to what's best. That being said, you kind of have to push how you feel if they're not receptive. If you want to try to go without SSRIs/NSAIDs first, do it under the supervision of a doctor so they can monitor you and intervene if necessary. Good luck, hon! :smiley:
  • ndegirolamo
    ndegirolamo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tyrosine, SAM-e and exercise helped me through some rough times.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. It sucks big time. I was diagnosed after my second baby and I'm still struggling some days. Know that there are people out there to support you and who are living with it and still able to thrive. You can add me as a friend if you like!

I've noticed how I eat affects me tremendously. I take vitamin D and should be taking magnesium and Omega 3s as well, but kind of fell of that wagon. Getting back on though. :)
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I suffered from depression, I was recommended by my doctor to visit a therapist but I never went to visit him (the therapist location is way too far from home). The doctor also recommended me to take pills so I could feel relaxed but I never tried them. Anyway, this is no joke but I started consuming fish oil pills and a multivitamin daily and after about two weeks I noticed a huge difference in my mood and my depression was pretty much gone.

I bought the Kirkland brand fish oil omega 3 pills from Amazon, just in case you want to know which ones I use. I consume 3 pills daily (because it is the amount recommended as a minimum for people who want to build muscle). These pills might be too big for women to swallow, I am not sure! but I drink them with water very easily
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Christian music, it's a natural antidepressant. Good vibes flow through you. Try it out.

Have you had PPD??
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Christian music, it's a natural antidepressant. Good vibes flow through you. Try it out.

I can guarantee, Christian music specifically, would not have a soothing effect on me nor is any music classed as a natural anti-depressant in the context of clinical depression. Perhaps leave the religion out when making suggestions about music?

I'd also agree it's not really an appropriate treatment suggestion for PPD full stop.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline I'm not sure what you mean by leave religion out when suggesting music. That being said, to diffuse a back and forth of opinion tennis, I didn't direct my recommendation towards you. However you're entitled to have your opinion on what you feel relieves you of your depression, as am I, This does it for me. It's not a debate or an inquisition lol. How you or anyone feels about that is totally subjective, I've no qualms about that. But disagreeing with my view doesn't make you correct.
  • WillpowerBurton
    WillpowerBurton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by leave religion out when suggesting music
    A lot of people get all wiggled up inside anytime religion or anything resembling it gets mentioned, ever. It's not their fault, their perspective is just a product of the times. Organized religion has not done a very good job of marketing itself lol. I really like the intentions behind Christian music and sometimes I can even feel that in the music!
    you're entitled to have your opinion on what you feel relieves you of your depression, as am I
    Personally, I find deathcore, satanic thrash metal and other harsh and abrasive genres to be soothing for my fractured soul.
    Musical taste is always subjective (duh), so whatever you find beautiful can allow you to release and process emotional turbulence. Without music, I'd be even more neurotic and crazier than I already am!

This very short video sums it up very well!
    Music Makes Room For Our Pain -Jason Silva
  • BodyzLanguage
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by leave religion out when suggesting music
    A lot of people get all wiggled up inside anytime religion or anything resembling it gets mentioned, ever. It's not their fault, their perspective is just a product of the times. Organized religion has not done a very good job of marketing itself lol. I really like the intentions behind Christian music and sometimes I can even feel that in the music!
    you're entitled to have your opinion on what you feel relieves you of your depression, as am I
    Personally, I find deathcore, satanic thrash metal and other harsh and abrasive genres to be soothing for my fractured soul.
    Musical taste is always subjective (duh), so whatever you find beautiful can allow you to release and process emotional turbulence. Without music, I'd be even more neurotic and crazier than I already am!

This very short video sums it up very well!
    Music Makes Room For Our Pain -Jason Silva

I agree with you. The dogmatic/tribal practices of religion in these current times we're living in is nothing short of counterproductive. I'm not down with that at all. The word "religion" itself irritates me to some degree, partly due to the reason you've outlined. But that's an entriely different discussion for a different day. I read a quote saying whatever's good for your soul, do that. I'll echo that sstatement. One should be free to llisten/unwind to whichever music they enjoy. Without sounding hippy and woo woo, it's a free world, do you.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Be a careful with the B vitamins, if are taking a fairly high dose and stop you can crash. Been there done that. There are so many vitamin & mineral deficiencies that can contribute to depression in general. I fought it for years and am doing it now without the prescriptions. I tossed them all in the garbage several years ago. Ask your doctor to run test for D, calcium, magnesium, iron and anything else... After carrying a baby you may be deplete and some of just don't absorb them well. Exercise, sunshine and friends can be a huge help. Take care.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Music Therapy for depression (and PPD) is a thing...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20220282
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org.proxy1.athensams.net/content/199/2/92

I wouldn't suggest it as standalone therapy without some guidance from a physician, but it could help in conjunction with other treatments.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline I'm not sure what you mean by leave religion out when suggesting music. That being said, to diffuse a back and forth of opinion tennis, I didn't direct my recommendation towards you. However you're entitled to have your opinion on what you feel relieves you of your depression, as am I, This does it for me. It's not a debate or an inquisition lol. How you or anyone feels about that is totally subjective, I've no qualms about that. But disagreeing with my view doesn't make you correct.

Because you're making an assumption about religious persuasion. Or projecting your own faith onto others by assuming it will have the same effect. You don't know what or if the person practices any type of faith. If you have to suggest it then far more appropriate to say pick what makes you happy. No need to be specific. It's not dissimilar to me saying listen to hiphop, I think it's awesome, when the person would rather gouge their ears out and never hear again than listen to 50 Cent.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Please do not suggest music as an alternative to antidepressants, especially for PPD which can be dangerous.

Music IS an antidepressant. I'm sharing what has aided me in my struggles. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't suggest. I find that disrespectful. I show respect here so I expect the same to be reciprocated.

No it really isn't, and as someone with a diagnoses mental illness, I find this highly offensive.

as a person with a diagnonsis too, i don't find it offensive. while christian music might not be everyone's cup of tea, upbeat music, positive music can certainly help lift moods.
    suggestions are just suggestions. take what you want and leave the rest.

Christian music itself doesn't need to be dogmatic
    skillet, rise against, days of fire, switchfoot, thousand foot krutch, firelight, POD, relient k, decyfer down, jars of clay, paramore are not dogmatic. christian philosophy.

and again take what you want and leave the rest
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Please do not suggest music as an alternative to antidepressants, especially for PPD which can be dangerous.

Music IS an antidepressant. I'm sharing what has aided me in my struggles. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't suggest. I find that disrespectful. I show respect here so I expect the same to be reciprocated.

No it really isn't, and as someone with a diagnoses mental illness, I find this highly offensive.

as a person with a diagnonsis too, i don't find it offensive. while christian music might not be everyone's cup of tea, upbeat music, positive music can certainly help lift moods.
    suggestions are just suggestions. take what you want and leave the rest.

I have no issue with music, christian or otherwise, as meditation. I'd like to suggest that the OP see her DOCTOR, as PPD can be a debilitating and dangerous illness. I don't think music can fix a chemical imbalance. If that's what it is.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

My brother likes Swedish death metal. He also takes his meds. And gets lots of exercise, starting with walking miles each day.
  • BodyzLanguage
    edited August 2016
    Options

Because you're making an assumption about religious persuasion. Or projecting your own faith onto others by assuming it will have the same effect. You don't know what or if the person practices any type of faith. If you have to suggest it then far more appropriate to say pick what makes you happy. No need to be specific. It's not dissimilar to me saying listen to hiphop, I think it's awesome, when the person would rather gouge their ears out and never hear again than listen to 50 Cent.

No projecting of anything here at all. If you haven't noticed, you're the only one trying to flesh this non-issue out. You come across as someone who fishes for confrontation, I don't think forums are the place for that, or anywhere else for that matter. Pardon me if I've judge you unfairly but that's the vibe I'm getting from you. Anyway It's all good, we're all music lovers here. I like hip hop too, + house & some old school rnb. I would Jazz too but I only listen to Amy Winehouse from that genre.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

That's you're opinion! Music can help bring people out of depression. I'm proof!
  • WillpowerBurton
    WillpowerBurton Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @elphie754 @BodyzLanguage @Sabine_Stroehm @VintageFeline @mbaker566
    Wow guys way to hijack this thread lol! How did this turn into a music debate!
    I kid I kid.

VintageFeline just recommends being cautious when it comes to interacting with people. Which is fine, that has it's place. She'd make a good diplomat or politician (AND MAYBE SHE ACTUALLY IS ONE WHO KNOWS!! :smiley: )

But it does have it's drawbacks!
    WARNING: Some May Find Following Content Offensive
    But srsly, living in that head-space all the time is like trying to restrict your diet to 100% only "healthy" things and then wondering why you're hating life. It seriously reduces your quality of life if your default mode is chronic political-correctness and being overly-considerate for fear of rejection. It IS a normal human fear and serves a purpose in keeping society debatably civilized, but like all things, requires that friggin' thing called balance (ugh what doesn't lol). Maintaining that facade is not a sustainable strategy though. Long-term use can cause resentment towards almost everyone whose emotions you work so hard to diligently protect, to grow and fester into a heaving pus-filled pile of inner-turmoil. That's when you might see people lash out (verbally, physically or emotionally), and try and unload their unprocessed pain onto others. Or they may just repress it and live in a state of inwardly-directed pessimism and self-loathing. Either way, they don't wanna take responsibility for what they've done to themselves internally in the name of avoiding rejection and (hopefully) gaining acceptance.
    I would know lol!

Living an inauthentic life is one of the greatest causes of depression and anxiety. Whether you're in-authentically considerate or in-authentically confrontational and flagrant, you will suffer.

PS Did you spot the irony in how VintageFeline and elphie754 are in fact doing what I prescribe, by voicing their opinions no matter how it may offend someone, and refusing to consider BodyzLanguage's feelings?! Isn't life just deliciously paradoxical and confusing!? Way to push yourself out that all-too safe Comfort Zone, Feline!
    And that brings me to another gigantic cause of depression: being unable to entertain the idea (even briefly!) that there are parts of our reality that shall forever remain a mystery and that life doesn't always make sense (and that that's OK!), and that it's a waste of your precious life-force trying to "figure it all out".

Some of these ideas are lifted from The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. This book should be among required reading for anyone struggling with their existence and are yearning, searching DYING for solutions.

TLDR:
    • depression (in all its wonderful forms) sucks
    • music rules and can ASSIST with treating depression
    • taste is subjective and not worth arguing over
    • some people like psych meds, some people like journaling, some people like vitamins, some people like cheese pizza, some people like diet/exercise and the help of a qualified counselor, and some people REALLY like heroin. whatever works for you just try stuff (as long it's sustainable!)
    • Reality and human existence is wacky and at times extremely difficult to navigate/cope with
    • read The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, and then read the next book your Quest leads you to, then the next.... then the next..... etc.

PPS Sorry for the wall of text. Didn't realize I had this many words things in me lol.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @elphie754 @BodyzLanguage @Sabine_Stroehm @VintageFeline @mbaker566
    Wow guys way to hijack this thread lol! How did this turn into a music debate!
    I kid I kid.

VintageFeline just recommends being cautious when it comes to interacting with people. Which is fine, that has it's place. She'd make a good diplomat or politician (AND MAYBE SHE ACTUALLY IS ONE WHO KNOWS!! :smiley: )

But it does have it's drawbacks!
    WARNING: Some May Find Following Content Offensive
    But srsly, living in that head-space all the time is like trying to restrict your diet to 100% only "healthy" things and then wondering why you're hating life. It seriously reduces your quality of life if your default mode is chronic political-correctness and being overly-considerate for fear of rejection. It IS a normal human fear and serves a purpose in keeping society debatably civilized, but like all things, requires that friggin' thing called balance (ugh what doesn't lol). Maintaining that facade is not a sustainable strategy though. Long-term use can cause resentment towards almost everyone whose emotions you work so hard to diligently protect, to grow and fester into a heaving pus-filled pile of inner-turmoil. That's when you might see people lash out (verbally, physically or emotionally), and try and unload their unprocessed pain onto others. Or they may just repress it and live in a state of inwardly-directed pessimism and self-loathing. Either way, they don't wanna take responsibility for what they've done to themselves internally in the name of avoiding rejection and (hopefully) gaining acceptance.
    I would know lol!

Living an inauthentic life is one of the greatest causes of depression and anxiety. Whether you're in-authentically considerate or in-authentically confrontational and flagrant, you will suffer.

PS Did you spot the irony in how VintageFeline and elphie754 are in fact doing what I prescribe, by voicing their opinions no matter how it may offend someone, and refusing to consider BodyzLanguage's feelings?! Isn't life just deliciously paradoxical and confusing!? Way to push yourself out that all-too safe Comfort Zone, Feline!
    And that brings me to another gigantic cause of depression: being unable to entertain the idea (even briefly!) that there are parts of our reality that shall forever remain a mystery and that life doesn't always make sense (and that that's OK!), and that it's a waste of your precious life-force trying to "figure it all out".

Some of these ideas are lifted from The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. This book should be among required reading for anyone struggling with their existence and are yearning, searching DYING for solutions.

TLDR:
    • depression (in all its wonderful forms) sucks
    • music rules and can ASSIST with treating depression
    • taste is subjective and not worth arguing over
    • some people like psych meds, some people like journaling, some people like vitamins, some people like cheese pizza, some people like diet/exercise and the help of a qualified counselor, and some people REALLY like heroin. whatever works for you just try stuff (as long it's sustainable!)
    • Reality and human existence is wacky and at times extremely difficult to navigate/cope with
    • read The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, and then read the next book your Quest leads you to, then the next.... then the next..... etc.

PPS Sorry for the wall of text. Didn't realize I had this many words things in me lol.
    The OP asked a question, and said she thought she had a medical condition. The music gal hijacked it suggesting music. We replied. /thread.