My Job Involves a lot of Drinking and no Sleep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Honestly, I am unsure why you can't sleep during the day and just make reasonable choices at night. Vodka and like, diet sprite, lime -- that might be 100 per low ball. It's up to you how many you want to consume but I would have 2-3 and be done. I waste 300 calories a day on chocolate.

Most people don't get high quality sleep after being black out drunk. Especially if on a nightly basis

In fact...she never said she HAS to drink at all...YOU started this whole "you don't have to get blackout drunk" thing. YOU and your cohorts have blown this way out of proportion.

The title says her job involves drinking. She said she is tired every day and can't exercise. Maybe I'm putting too many dots together but most typical 19 year olds that aren't hung over have enough energy for at least a bit of exercise.

Sure, at that age I could usually party until the wee hours of the AM and still do my physically demanding machine operator job the next day. On days I couldn't make it to work, having blacked out was not uncommon.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Honestly, I am unsure why you can't sleep during the day and just make reasonable choices at night. Vodka and like, diet sprite, lime -- that might be 100 per low ball. It's up to you how many you want to consume but I would have 2-3 and be done. I waste 300 calories a day on chocolate.

Most people don't get high quality sleep after being black out drunk. Especially if on a nightly basis

As point people pointed out, she never said blackout drunk. She said she had to drink a lot - for me drinking a lot and being black out drunk are pretty different.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

As point people pointed out, she never said blackout drunk. She said she had to drink a lot - for me drinking a lot and being black out drunk are pretty different.

Very true. Maybe I should not have used the term blackout drunk without more information (however our European friend did say drinking to blackout drunk in these jobs is not incommon)

There is a difference between drinking a lot and blackout. Might be several drinks or one shot.
  • Packerjohn

In fact...she never said she HAS to drink at all...YOU started this whole "you don't have to get blackout drunk" thing. YOU and your cohorts have blown this way out of proportion.

The title says her job involves drinking. She said she is tired every and can't exercise. Maybe I'm putting too many dots together but most typical 19 year olds that aren't hung over have enough energy for at least a bit of exercise.

Plus one of our European friends that is familiar with these pub crawls said the expectation was that the hosts drink to what many would consider excess

Note, I'm not a prude. I have been black out drunk in my life and may be again. Not necessarily proud of it but it happened. Not judging the op at all, just offering solution to her situation.

Maybe you did assume too much, because it led to a LOT of people jumping on that bandwagon and being rude and mean because this young woman took a ONE MONTH entertainment job.

And for the record, I know a lot of people who would define "a lot of drinking" as 2 drinks per day...and others who think nothing of 6.

Is it normal for a 19 year old to be too tired to do anything the next day, let alone execise, after work?

If that's the case, she should probably see a medical professional

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Everyone in this thread lol.

OP, if you can find a way to drink less or just drink water/clear diet soda do that. If you think that you absolutely have to drink, save more calories for those nights or find a new job. If you really can't drink less alcohol/consume less calories, then it's kind of like someone saying, "hey I want to lose weight but I have to compete in eating competitions every week for my job".

Yeah, you might need that money, but it's not too hard to find a job elsewhere for most people.
  • Packerjohn

The title says her job involves drinking. She said she is tired every and can't exercise. Maybe I'm putting too many dots together but most typical 19 year olds that aren't hung over have enough energy for at least a bit of exercise.

Plus one of our European friends that is familiar with these pub crawls said the expectation was that the hosts drink to what many would consider excess

Note, I'm not a prude. I have been black out drunk in my life and may be again. Not necessarily proud of it but it happened. Not judging the op at all, just offering solution to her situation.

Maybe you did assume too much, because it led to a LOT of people jumping on that bandwagon and being rude and mean because this young woman took a ONE MONTH entertainment job.

And for the record, I know a lot of people who would define "a lot of drinking" as 2 drinks per day...and others who think nothing of 6.

Is it normal for a 19 year old to be too tired to do anything the next day, let alone execise, after work?

When I was a bartender/shooter girl, yes. It was entirely normal for me and my friends to sleep all day as we were going to bed at 5 am. Please stop judging a life you don't understand.

She's also just starting this new shift and it's difficult to get used to...and 19 year old me would send 40 year old me to the doctor because I can't stay up till midnight. It's all relative.

My son and several other people I know were able to bartend until the bar closed, sleep until noon or so, go to classes and get advanced degrees. If they weren't drinking, they weren't zombies until their next shift.

My summers in college consisted of a 5 AM wake up to start a highway maintenance job shoveling road patch on rural roads under a 100 degree sun for 9-10 hours. Then exterior house painting for 3-4 hours. After that, hit the gym and bed. Never really had any issues with being too tired, except when did some drinking.

Again, I'm not judging the OP in any way, sounds like it would be a fun job. The title of her post says she is drinking a lot and was looking for suggestions on how not to gain weight. Most people suggested not drinking as much would be a good starting point. I suggested this and also if she wasn't drinking as much she would most likely have more energy during her off hours so she could exercise.

Hardly rocket science.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Then don't drink. Make sure the bartenders know you're there to entertain and that you want soda water served in a cocktail glass with a garnish. You look like you're drinking a still stay sober. You'll also do better at your job.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member

When I was a bartender/shooter girl, yes. It was entirely normal for me and my friends to sleep all day as we were going to bed at 5 am. Please stop judging a life you don't understand.

She's also just starting this new shift and it's difficult to get used to...and 19 year old me would send 40 year old me to the doctor because I can't stay up till midnight. It's all relative.

My son and several other people I know were able to bartend until the bar closed, sleep until noon or so, go to classes and get advanced degrees. If they weren't drinking, they weren't zombies until their next shift.

My summers in college consisted of a 5 AM wake up to start a highway maintenance job shoveling road patch on rural roads under a 100 degree sun for 9-10 hours. Then exterior house painting for 3-4 hours. After that, hit the gym and bed. Never really had any issues with being too tired, except when did some drinking.

Again, I'm not judging the OP in any way, sounds like it would be a fun job. The title of her post says she is drinking a lot and was looking for suggestions on how not to gain weight. Most people suggested not drinking as much would be a good starting point. I suggested this and also if she wasn't drinking as much she would most likely have more energy during her off hours so she could exercise.

Hardly rocket science.

Most except you and a few charming others even managed to do it without being rude or nasty about it. That was my only point.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I've had a job where it was "understood" that drinking was included...and my husband once worked at a hostel and it was also "understood" that partying with the hostelers was part of the job. It happens despite what all the judgy mcjudgersons think.

There's been a lot of scorn and derision here for a life and culture that you don't understand. She didn't ask for your moral condemnation, she asked for advice on how to keep her weight down while doing this job.

OP, drink vodka sodas, with just soda every other drink, the extra club sodas will keep you hydrated so the hangover won't be as bad (so you can move the next day) and keep the calories down. Dance as much as you can and the biggest thing is to save a meals worth of calories for after work because you know after drinking you won't make great food choices.

They're not entirely wrong though...it's not the healthiest lifestyle, don't let it last too long ;)

This. Not really sure why people feel the need to belittle and scorn the OP because of her job just because they don't understand it.

If I thought people were belittling and scorning the OP I would Flag > Report their posts to the mods. What I saw was disbelief that an employer would require an employee to get silly drunk. IME, employers like their employees to PRETEND to drink with the customers while they are in fact staying reasonably sober.

Agree. Good entertainers pretend to drink and manage the drinking of their customers so people don't get out of control and hurt.
  • fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    Lol. You can tell most of the posters are American.

OP: Drink diet sodas and clear spirits instead of beer or dark booze. Swap every second drink for plain Diet Coke or lemonade. Drink a pint of water before bed along with a couple of aspirin and drink some orange juice and eat some toast when you wake up to ward off any potential hangover. Diet Redbull will help with the low energy, but don't drink too many.
  • Packerjohn
    edited July 2016
    Lol. You can tell most of the posters are American.

OP: Drink diet sodas and clear spirits instead of beer or dark booze. Swap every second drink for plain Diet Coke or lemonade. Drink a pint of water before bed along with a couple of aspirin and drink some orange juice and eat some toast when you wake up to ward off any potential hangover. Diet Redbull will help with the low energy, but don't drink too many.

Sorry IMO, good advice up the Red Bull. Fix the root cause instead of relying on high levels of caffeine or other stimulants for low energy.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Can you do what they do in some industries where if someone buys you a drink you ask for vodka and they give you water instead? Then you keep the money for yourself?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    mobogogo wrote: »
    hey,

I recently just started my summer job which i am doing for a month, so basically i am an entertainer in a hostel so i have to go out and be friendly withthe guests so i have to conduct pub crawls, drinking games, and parties almost everynight.... In the day i am too tired to do anything let alone excersize ...But the thing is i dont want to gain a lot of weight... Gaining weight is inevitable with this job but i dont want to gain a lot...i lost a 20lb over the year and i dont want to start again.... Any advice?

Gaining weight is never inevitable, and you don't have to exercise to lose weight. You can do this!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    The OP is long gone. Probably scared off after the second post or so.

She`s young. Give her a break.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, but it's not her fault, her employer REQUIRES that she be in a blackout.

Nobody said that other than Packerjohn. Perfectly polite and in the spirit of this site.

Okay, I mistakenly attributed the blackout bit to OP instead of Packerjohn. Others trying to explain OP's post DID insist (contra my post, which said she didn't have to get drink) that she HAD to drink excessively (vs. pretending, as I and many others suggested) and more significantly, when I suggested that she could not drink or drink moderately and questioned the idea that her employer would actually want her too drunk (as that interferes with being fun and responsible, IMO, and is not something I would ever want as an employer, even in an entertainment field like this), many protested and suggested that those of us saying this didn't understand the important and beautiful culture that is involved -- apparently getting disgustingly drunk and acting rude in a foreign country, in violation of the law, from the articles I've found after one was linked.

So if you want to take issue with the notion that she must drink excessively, that that's what's being discussed, it's not me you have an issue with, but those saying that's what the job requires. And I think my post was a perfectly appropriate response to such an irresponsible claim. I'd certainly not want a 19 year old relative told that it was necessary to get irresponsibly drunk, and just part of their culture.

Americans act poorly on vacation too sometimes, but I try not to encourage that and when we get criticized for doing so I certainly wouldn't claim that it was a cultural thing and others did not understand!

And, yeah, we actually do have obnoxious drinking behavior here in the states.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2016
    Sparkling water is more expensive than beer in UK pubs and mixers have a huge markup, so it certainly wouldn't be hurting business to have a shandy, rather than a lager or something pretty and non alcoholic, like a lime soda or virgin mary (and besides, the job is not that you buy yourself all the alcohol, but that you encourage your punters to buy it by the bucketload). Obviously, downing jager bombs, tequila slammers or the like would be more difficult to dodge. The key part of the job is in the acting, though. Egg the customers on and they're not going to notice that you've sipped on something about 2% proof and not actually drunk the whole lot and that they've been doing all the drinking while you get them fired up and... oops, that schnapps went down the wrong way!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    ouryve wrote: »
    Sparkling water is more expensive than beer in UK pubs

Yowsers, i'm not sure how much sparkling water costs in the pubs here, but a pint of beer is between $8-$9, which is around 4-6 pounds

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    ouryve wrote: »
    Sparkling water is more expensive than beer in UK pubs

Yowsers, i'm not sure how much sparkling water costs in the pubs here, but a pint of beer is between $8-$9, which is around 4-6 pounds

You can get a pint for upwards of £3, while a tiny bottle of water costs nearly the same! The one I had with my meal in a foodie pub, last week, was £2.45. It's certainly not the money saving/profit harming option!