Unhealthy foods

Options

Replies

• sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Lots of humor and hipster comments here. Best for overall health, however, is to avoid processed food, like canned salmon and frozen lasagna. When you enter your supermarket, turn right and traverse the outer wall of the store, avoiding the inner aisles. You will find mostly lovely and fresh foods there.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Is canned salmon really that much lower in sodium than hotwings and lasagna? I've got the sodium tracker on MFP just for the hell of it, and I've been surprised at some of the high sodium food. Ex. one Thomas's brand bagel has 100mg more sodium than a large serving of McDonald's fries according to MFP.

That's a lot maybe that's why when I eat on it tastes great. (Is this plain or whole wheat?)
    Is canned salmon really that much lower in sodium than hotwings and lasagna? I've got the sodium tracker on MFP just for the hell of it, and I've been surprised at some of the high sodium food. Ex. one Thomas's brand bagel has 100mg more sodium than a large serving of McDonald's fries according to MFP.

Actually no, thanks for input.

Thanks man your right.

You answered the same question 3 times with 3 different answers....
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

That's a lot maybe that's why when I eat on it tastes great. (Is this plain or whole wheat?)

Thanks man your right.

Their was more than one question in the paragraph..

No, there wasn't.
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Thanks man your right.

Their was more than one question in the paragraph..

I only see one.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Need help deciding because the canned salmon has too much sodium. Is it better to eat Publix fried unbreaded chicken wings or 340 cal lasagna?

No one food is healthy or unhealthy, it is the total diet that matters. Eat a wide range of veggies, proteins and healthy fats then you can fill in the rest of your calories with anything you like. A beer or ice-cream etc.

And sodium isn't a problem as long as you don't have any medical conditions that mean you should limit it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lots of humor and hipster comments here. Best for overall health, however, is to avoid processed food, like canned salmon and frozen lasagna. When you enter your supermarket, turn right and traverse the outer wall of the store, avoiding the inner aisles. You will find mostly lovely and fresh foods there.

As much as I detest hipsters, I prefer hipsterism over anti-intellectualism any day.

Agreed. Luckily, none of the answers seem particularly hipster!

Perhaps some respondents don't know what hipsters are. ;-)
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eat what you like. Just make sure to account for the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Such a vague response for someone so qualified. Judging by the OPs question, clearly it's early days for them on this road to great health and vitality. Yes calories are king, however nutritional value cannot be overlooked. OP or other newbies casually scrolling could easily misinterpret your comment.
  • elphie754
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eat what you like. Just make sure to account for the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Such a vague response for someone so qualified. Judging by the OPs question, clearly it's early days for them on this road to great health and vitality. Yes calories are king, however nutritional value cannot be overlooked. OP or other newbies casually scrolling could easily misinterpret your comment.
    Based on the OPs previous posts, I'm not 100% sure they are a newbie.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

What about beans?

That is a good point. In most stores there are plenty of nutritious foods that are not on the outer wall like beans, oatmeal, frozen vegetables, frozen fish, flour and plenty of processed foods on the outer wall like sausage, lunchmeats, cheese, baked goods, chips, drinks. Not really a great guide to just say shop the outer wall.
    Just log a food and see if it fits your goals. If you are trying to lower sodium buy low sodium versions or cook your own.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I see booze, ice cream, butter....YAY
    Hipster comments, huh? Telling people what not to eat isn't?

Avoid all processed foods...coconut oil is processed. Oils are processed. Greek yogurt, too.
    No thanks. I'll eat what I like and not tell others to not eat certain foods because it's none of my business.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

What about beans?

and canned fruits and vegetables.. sauces.. beans, grains, pastas... and everything else. like said above the outer wall of the store has the donuts and the fancy cheese section. yes please
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Not that this really matters. But the outer perimeter of the grocery stores here are

Fruit and veggies
    Dairy
    Bakery
    Cleaning products

Cereals could be in isle 1 or 5 depending where you shop. Coffee ,tea, cookies, chocolate are usually in isle 1 or 2. No booze in Aussie supermarkets.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Good call. In my supermarket, that's where the doughnuts and cookies are, as well as the bacon.. ;)
    I'd pick the lasagna, anyway, just cause I'm not a fan of canned fish. Either that or just have the McDonald's french fries, if they're lower in sodium.

Actually, now that I think of it, all of the sodas are on the outer perimeter of my grocery store as well. Forgot about the ice cream, too, and the Lean Cuisines...that's a win all the way around.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Not that this really matters. But the outer perimeter of the grocery stores here are

Fruit and veggies
    Dairy
    Bakery
    Cleaning products

Cereals could be in isle 1 or 5 depending where you shop. Coffee ,tea, cookies, chocolate are usually in isle 1 or 2. No booze in Aussie supermarkets.

Oh forgot about meat, this is always on the outer perimetre, usually next to the fruit n veg.