What Does Moderation Look Like For You?

Options

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Moderation was a skill I had to learn on my journey after a lifetime of disordered eating habits. It also helps to know that eating too many sweets at once will make me feel sick to my stomach, and overfull. I hate that feeling now, so for me it makes choosing moderation much easier.

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Moderation: not eating in excess. For me that's eating something "bad" once in a while. Made blueberry muffins, i had ONE that week. Eat a couple squares off the candy bar, not the whole bar. Have a scoop of ice cream, not 4.

It's not so much about denying yourself the food you love, just eating it in less amounts. You could honestly eat something "bad" everyday and not go over your calorie limit. Eatings less, but more often i feel helps with the binge eating. Everything can be harmful if we overdue it. So eat happily, just be aware.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you have zero self-control over some things, you might want to choose abstinence over moderation. Similar to how alcoholics choose not to try to be social drinkers cause they know they can't.

Of course, people with self-control will respond by saying just control yourself! Would it were that easy for everyone. Be a lot fewer fatties around, that's for sure.
  • BreakinChains
    BreakinChains Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Log before you eat. Fun-size. A Hershey kiss is 25 calories. A 'serving' is 11 kisses. No, a binge is 11 kisses. A serving is a kiss. That's what moderation looks like.
    A cupcake, depending how tall the pile of sugared lard is on top, is at least 400 calories and could be as much as 800. Once you have a ballpark clue of the cost of food, it's easier to decide that it's too expensive.

I love this last sentence!
  • BreakinChains
    BreakinChains Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who responded. I'm really starting to believe moderation is possible now. Hard, but possible. It's really helpful to know so many people struggle with it, but are able to do it.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Moderation for me : eating no cookies most days, one or two occasionally, and then skipping one or more meals to make all the cookies I want fit.

I make very good cookies.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Moderation is having a bite or a bit or a serving of something I like, or something I'm offered by someone I care about. It's about making room for that in the larger picture of my life.

Sometimes it means pre-logging when you know there will be treats you'll want to have. Sometimes it means stopping yoruself after your bite or bit or serving and logging it, and realizing that if you stop now, you'll still be near your goal.

Sometimes it means "Oops, I had some of that peanut brittle my coworker brought in to share, so now I really should not have one of those cupcakes my kid just won on the cake wheel!"
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, I can't have foods like cupcakes during the day. They make me sleepy and crave more. But I can have one after dinner and feel fine. I can't address the stopping at one question, cuz we get them from bakeries or 'ridiculous' cupcake places so there is only one serving each available. Normally I have Ghirardelli squares after dinner and can stop at one despite there being plenty more in the house.

Some foods I moderate and some I abstain from, and don't even have them in the house. http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't really use the term "moderation" but if I did it would simply mean not overeating.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to eat lunch out almost daily. Fast food usually. So for me, moderation means eating out once or twice a week and staying within my calorie goals. I have found if you totally restrict yourself you are just setting yourself up to cheat and possibly fail. You also need to know correct food portions. Getting a food scale and using it will really help you track your calories correctly and know exactly how much of any food you can or cannot eat. Don't eat mindlessly from any food bag or container. If a serving size is 12 chips, count out 12 chips.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Moderation = My daily calorie bank.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Good post, @amusedmonkey!
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who responded. I'm really starting to believe moderation is possible now. Hard, but possible. It's really helpful to know so many people struggle with it, but are able to do it.

The journey is hard. Anything worth it to you is going to be hard and that's ok. You are making a lifestyle change and in order to be successful in the long term, you have to be able to find some sort of balance that will keep you moving forward and beyond your weight loss goal. I am not going to say I'm never having another cookie. But I won't have them every day and when I do, they will get tracked.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    ... I generally don't eat doughnuts or sponge cake because I don't like them enough to warrant the calories. Even things I do like, like ice cream or chocolate, I only eat when I really want some. How do I decide if I really want some? I pre-log the item in question then ask myself: would planning my meals for the day around this item and eating lower calorie meals be worth it to eat that ice cream or chocolate? If I can't be bothered, then I don't want that item enough to have it.

I don't keep "temptations" where they are staring me in the face. No sense in testing my willpower unless necessary. I either tuck them into the darkest corner of my fridge/cupboard where I would need to haul out all the foods covering them to get to them or walk all the way to the stairwell to get my step ladder, or go to the shop to specifically buy one serving of that item. ...

Normalizing foods takes time and practice, but once you're there the whole process feels semi-automatic. By normalizing I mean judging foods based on preference, not based on "junk" being more attractive just because it's junk, bad, forbidden, guilty pleasure... and all the other words that set certain foods apart as somehow naughty and therefore attractive. There are days when a mushroom and vegetable ragu is more attractive to me than hot dogs, and there are days when hot dogs are more attractive. Nothing's wrong with either dish, and nothing makes one more special than the other, other than my preference

I love this perspective and these suggestions also work great for me!

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. I just think of it as avoiding gluttony, and also avoiding being too restrictive. So I don't usually binge or fast.

Personally, it is mostly a portion-size thing? I try to take a reasonable portion of food, then if still hungry may eat more, but I don't start out with a lot on the plate and then try to eat it all. Except for salad, popcorn, and watermelon. I'm immoderate with those items.

I do eat only 2 hershey's kisses and consider that a good bite of chocolate. I don't eat much between meals. I don't drink alcohol every day, only a couple of times a week. If I eat chips from the big bag, I put a serving in a bowl and close the bag. If I eat triscuits and cheese, I count the crackers out...

I do get hungry most days, between meals. I try to wait until physically hungry before eating.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I initially decided to try giving up processed sugar for an undeclared amount of time. Yeah, that didn't work. I'm hearing a lot about moderation, and as stupid as it may sound...I barely have an idea of how to do it. To me moderation is eating just a serving of something (I'm talking about the junk foods).

The hard part is I eat one cupcake, and I want 2 more. I think I know HOW to moderate, but I don't know HOW to not go back for seconds, thirds, etc.

So, my question to you is how do you eat in moderation? What keeps you from over indulging?

I've told you before my struggle with learning to moderate ice cream, so I won't repeat the whole thing here.

If you are having trouble moderating foods in the break room (we get a lot of donuts, muffins, cookies, chocolate, etc.) I find that if I wait until they are nearly gone, it does two things. First, it delays that instant gratification of having what you want right now, which helps with patience. Second, when there are only a couple left, they are usually the less appealing ones, so it's easy to take one, or half of one and be done with it. Third, since there are only a couple left, there's a good chance they will be gone shortly.

If you are having trouble moderating at home. Don't bring in large quantities of the stuff you have difficulties with until you have gotten better at it. I only brought in single servings of ice cream for the longest time. Then if I really wanted a second one, I had to decide if I wanted it bad enough to drive to the store to pick it up.

To answer the question you actually asked. To me, moderation is eating what I like and keeping it within my goals (including protein, fat, fibre, and iron; I don't watch carbs too closely and I pay no attention at all to sugar). You can make some great filling meals for reasonable calories. Two nights ago a made a chicken and veg pasta sauce over linguini. It filled the plate for under 500 calories. The portion of pasta is smaller and the number of vegs is higher, but it was incredibly filling and nicely balanced out my day for macros. Fitting in a serving of beer, or wine, or ice cream, or cookies at the end of the day helps me feel like I'm not punishing myself with my diet. Also, knowing that I can have these things has changed the way I look at weight loss. I don't feel bad, like I've blown everything, and that I'm weak for not having enough self-control.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    For me - the keys to successfully moderating are planning, prioritization and perspective.

There are foods/drinks that I enjoy on a daily basis. A little bit of chocolate, a glass or two of wine. I know I need to allow anywhere from 200-400 cals for those indulgences every day (I'm in maintenance and my calorie target is about 2000 or so each day) My priority however, is first getting enough other things - enough protein, vegetables/fruits, and some exercise. If I don't fit in those other things first, then I may not be able to have my usual glass of wine after the kids go to bed. That all is part of my every day routine, I've planned for it and am able to fit it in about 80-90% of the time based on building good habits around exercise to allow myself a higher calorie target.

There are times though when I have a craving for something more indulgent, or plans for meals that I know are going to be more calorie dense. I need to also assess my priorities for that day or week to see if I can fit in the treat, or what adjustments I need to make during the week to allow for a weekend event. If there is a birthday celebration at work and I know I'm going to be having cheesecake for example, then I may not be able to fit in wine that day. If people brought in a bakery cake with whipped frosting that doesn't really appeal to me, I might just go to wish someone happy birthday and skip the cake, and stick to my normal routine. Or if I am going out to dinner with friends over the weekend, I may try to bank some calories earlier in the week to give me a higher allowance on the weekend. I plan out the week, determine what my priorities are (are we going to dinner and a movie? Do I want to save room for popcorn? Or would I rather have an appetizer at dinner and skip eating at the movie?).

Lastly, perspective. Full disclosure - I don't struggle with binge eating or trigger foods. I am not an emotional eater, or a volume eater. When I was overweight - it was because I ate a little bit too much of too many different foods, because I didn't try to restrain myself, and because I wasn't active enough. But the perspective I have gained and used in my approach to moderation is that it's ok to just have one thing you enjoy. When going out for mexican food, you don't have to have guacamole, and queso, and salsa, and a burrito, and a margarita. I just pick one or two of those things that I really enjoy, and forget about the rest. But on the flip side - if I do overindulge, the perspective I've gained is that this process is very manageable and I can get back on track pretty easily. Having a night where I exceed my calorie target does not mean I have failed, or that I should give up. It's just a number, and more than likely, it isn't even a high enough number to do anything more than cause a temporary spike on the scale. Sometimes when I think I've over done it, and a few days later I weigh in and the scale hasn't moved more than half a pound, I think, "is that it!? I should have gone ahead and had that fried ice cream too...".

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Moderation is my father, who'd eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia every day if he had his druthers, buying and eating one pint the last Sunday of every month instead while watching whatever television series du jour he's following.

Moderation is me, who eats ice cream whenever I want as long as it fits into my daily caloric goal, occasionally eating 113 grams (one 4 oz serving size of BK31's Pralines 'n Cream) at a time for dessert after supper.

Different people, different ways they moderate. Both finding a way of moderating their intake of the same foodstuff in a manner they can live with long term. Neither is superior to the other.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I had to cut some things out of my diet entirely for a while until I could get them under control. In all cases my desire for those things eventually decreased to a reasonable level and in some cases I stopped liking/wanting them all together.