Not eating if your not hungry

Options
A while back read an article about not eating right away when you wake up. Prolonging the "fast" from the night before. I know if I eat to early it seems to make me eat more during the day or even feel hungry sooner. I've been eating only when hungry and not eating right away.
Thoughts?

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Timing is mostly irrelevant, at least compared to net calorie balance. Perhaps intermittent fasting would work for you. I do it and I share your experience, so eating only after work is easy to do.
  • catrell23
    catrell23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done the intermittent fasting it worked great but the downside was I was always feeling sick so now I don't eat anything after 6
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I do the intermittent fasting and usually eat between 11-7 or 12-8. I wake up at 5am so I'm up and working for at least 6 hours before my first meal of the day.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I do the intermittent fasting and usually eat between 11-7 or 12-8. I wake up at 5am so I'm up and working for at least 6 hours before my first meal of the day.

Yes, that is what I was reading (couldn't remember what they called it). But have noticed that I'm not really hungry in the morning so later maybe 10a or 11a I make a protein shake, low calorie. And I'm really just getting hungry hungry around 1:30p-2p.

Thanks
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't have breakfast as soon as I get up, I have a coffee first, then breakfast a couple of hours later.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Most days I have coffee in the morning and then eat my first meal between noon and one
  • saraSM1
    saraSM1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to not skip breakfast whether you want to lose weight or not
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Most days I don't eat until almost lunch time as if I eat too early I don't feel good.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    bwhitty67 wrote: »
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »

Yes, that is what I was reading (couldn't remember what they called it). But have noticed that I'm not really hungry in the morning so later maybe 10a or 11a I make a protein shake, low calorie. And I'm really just getting hungry hungry around 1:30p-2p.

Thanks

I don't eat most days until 1230 or 100.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For many who gain weight it's a loss or ignoring satiety that causes the problems. Anything that you can do to re-connect with that hunger signal is a good idea.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    saraSM1 wrote: »
    The important thing is to not skip breakfast whether you want to lose weight or not

Nope.Complete myth! Grandma was wrong ( I'm not telling her, though). !
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I also do not eat breakfast for years and feel great. No problem with energy. If I do eat breakfast for some reason, I feel hungry the whole day.

Same here, i put off eating for as long as i can. Eating breakfast tends to work against me when it comes to hunger.
    I would much rather save my calories for a bigger dinner and dessert.

• Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. All this bollocks of should eat here, don't eat carbs after 6 is all, bollocks. Your body doesn't know what time it is. I eat breakfast 30 mins of getting up cause I'm starving. Get to work eat 2 snacks before lunch. 1 snack after. Dinner by 7. Depends when I'm doing exercise. You could eat nothing all day n save calories til dinner if u wanted. Stay to your goal.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I OMAD these day, I basically cut down from IF. There is no problem with my energy levels, in fact I have more energy than ever. I think getting more in tune with your body's hunger signals is more important for long term weight management than eating at alloted times. I'm guessing none of us want to be having to log and measure our food forever!
  • mistteak
    mistteak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Interesting post .. and replies. I for Years did not eat Breakfast, found it easier to cope with the day. I eat a big break now, because i skip lunch .. and I laid off carbs and breads . so sausages bacon sweet potato or pumpkin or such for break, snack on some nuts at lunch and a good dinner
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It's whatever works for you. I need breakfast and coffee before I'm even vaguely human in the morning. Plus I need to eat so I can take naproxen so I can get moving sooner.