Does anyone ignore the calorie counter?

Options

Replies

• chloeefrench
    chloeefrench Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel like calories are there as a guideline, not a restriction. I try to keep everything HCLF. Listen to your body☮
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I look at sodium, calories, protein in that order.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I trust the usda database and the package labels. I weigh everything including packaged foods.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Did you look at Friday or Saturday Callum? it's Sunday here, my yesterday is Saturday 30th July.

ETA: Never mind lol I just went back and checked, and there was only a 5 calorie difference. It was too early in the morning when i checked before, I should know better than to do calculations first thing in the morning :blushing:

Oh god let's not confuse this with time difference too :D
  • fribus_official
    fribus_official Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I look first at the protein which I must cover. Secondly, I pay attention at the moment to remain under my calories. Then I plan the carbohydrates and fat concerning my expected activity.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I pay less attention to macros, watch calories for sure
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Calories are the most important
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    No, counting calories is the most important, then sugar, fat, carbs and protein. I'm always under on sodium so don't need to bother with that.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    Calories, protein, and sodium in that order.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Did you look at Friday or Saturday Callum? it's Sunday here, my yesterday is Saturday 30th July.

ETA: Never mind lol I just went back and checked, and there was only a 5 calorie difference. It was too early in the morning when i checked before, I should know better than to do calculations first thing in the morning :blushing:

Oh god let's not confuse this with time difference too :D

:laugh: ah you made me laugh! Whenever one of my American friends completes their diary and i click on it, the page is always blank, because their today is my yesterday, and from my end it links me to their tomorrow which is my today :tired_face::tongue:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Calories are king. I also pay attention to fiber, protein and fat.
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    No, counting calories is the most important, then sugar, fat, carbs and protein. I'm always under on sodium so don't need to bother with that.
    I swapped out my sugar tracking for fiber tracking, and instead of sodium, I track iron.

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to macros and stay pretty focused on meeting the fat goal and carb limit, because fat keeps me satisfied and carbs make me want to eat more. Which is why I do LCHF. To me macros are about satiety more than anything else. I really need to recalculate my protein, though, because the way my percentages are set up MFP wants me to eat way more than I feel like I can.

I still track calories and exercise, though, because calorie deficit is how you lose weight, and while the food I eat has a pretty high satiety factor (for me, YMMV), it's calorie dense. Can't be sitting on my butt eating butter and drinking bacon grease and expect to lose weight!
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I mostly pay attention to calories, fat, sugar amount and carbs right now.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Anyone else find that MFP doesn't give you enough differing serving size choices when you enter your food? For instance, I had a little syrup on a waffle this morning (maybe about a tsp) and when I went to scan the label and choose the serving it only gives me the 1/4 cup serving size on the bottle and a bunch of other random sizes like the whole bottle or milliliters. Why wouldn't a tsp or tblspn be an option? I found this problem with other foods as well and it's aggravating. I shouldn't have to be a mathematician or something to enter in my calories on an app that's supposed to make it easy.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Anyone else find that MFP doesn't give you enough differing serving size choices when you enter your food? For instance, I had a little syrup on a waffle this morning (maybe about a tsp) and when I went to scan the label and choose the serving it only gives me the 1/4 cup serving size on the bottle and a bunch of other random sizes like the whole bottle or milliliters. Why wouldn't a tsp or tblspn be an option? I found this problem with other foods as well and it's aggravating. I shouldn't have to be a mathematician or something to enter in my calories on an app that's supposed to make it easy.

https://www.reference.com/food/many-teaspoons-1-4-cup-ba2d02dc82ddba36
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Calories first...then protein, and if I care enough, Iron...Lost over 80 pounds this way!
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thanks, but I know I can google it and get the answer. I guess my point is that I shouldn't have to leave the app, google the answer and then come back to the app to enter. This app is supposed to make it easy and it makes no sense that it wouldn't offer a tsp or tblspn option for a liquid product. Also it sometimes will give you a totally different calorie than the one on the box when you scan the bar code.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks, but I know I can google it and get the answer. I guess my point is that I shouldn't have to leave the app, google the answer and then come back to the app to enter. This app is supposed to make it easy and it makes no sense that it wouldn't offer a tsp or tblspn option for a liquid product. Also it sometimes will give you a totally different calorie than the one on the box when you scan the bar code.

sorry hun, this is what happens when a database is created by users and is largely unmoderated.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

I think you're making this much more complicated than it has to be. Are you trying to lose weight? Focus on staying within the calories that MFP gives you. Use the database or labels, but try to be as accurate as possible...same with your burns. If you feel comfy enough, and are staying in your numbers, you might then start worrying about macros...I'd start with one, protein. Why drive yourself crazy making it harder than it has to be?