How to listen to music while lifting weights

Replies

• ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    They sell work out shorts and shirts with special pockets for ipod but not a large phone.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    So those belts that hold your phone...what happens when I need to put on my belt for lifting? Can I hike that belt up high or wear it around my hip bone while my lifting belt is on?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lots of people use wireless headphones. That way you don't even have to hold the phone on you. Just have it nearby.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The question still remains... where to put the phone? I don't know.... i kind of feel like women get gypped because workout clothing very rarely has pockets. Unless you carry your gym bag around with you all workout.

I have a backpack that i carry with me in the gym.....keep my phone, wallet, small towel and water in it. Its a smaller one. Doesnt bother me to toss it next to my bench while at the gym.

If I dont bring it, I just tuck the phone in my waistband.
  • rockinrodders1
    rockinrodders1 Posts: 4 Member
    I've got some MPOW Bluetooth running earphones from Amazon that were about $20 and waterproof and use a running belt that fits around the waist for the Iphone. Not as obtrusive as an arm band.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    put armband around water bottle
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I do powerlifting/bodybuilding and have a smaller ipod I use with an arm band. Never had any issues with it. I usually keep it on my forearm where I can see it easily and skip songs frequently if I want to. Works fine for squat, deads, bench, I've used it daily for a couple years now.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    An armband works fine for me while lifting, even with overhead work. I just run the headphone wire through my shirt, and have never had it get in my way.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited August 2016
    I'm neo-old school and still use my trusty iPod Shuffle. I'm proud to say it's the only Apple product I've ever owned. It's awesome. Clip it anywhere, no pockets needed.

11205844-new-apple-ipod-shuffle-2gb-silver.jpg

I suggest one of these as well, then run pretty much whatever headphones you want.

Mine, however, recently died. I picked up some cheap-ish wireless headphones from Target (Phillips, $30). They sound OK, good enough for what I need, and being wire-free is surprisingly nice. I just set my phone on the ground near me so it's out of the way and go on about my business. Given a fairly clear line of site, they seem to have a good 30ish' range with the bluetooth connection.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Wireless beats for me. I just keep my phone with my "stuff" that follows me around the weight room.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Lots of people use wireless headphones. That way you don't even have to hold the phone on you. Just have it nearby.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's what I'm thinking of getting. How expensive do they run usually?
    Most of the guys and gals at the gym are consigned to the fact spending a lot of money on wireless headphones for gym use isn't wise. With all the sweating and moisture, the lifespan of the headphones won't be long. So a lot of them I've spoken to go to places like TJ Max's and get wireless headphones for under $20. That way if something goes wrong, it's not a great expense.
    I just got a $16 pair from TJ Max for my DD and they work fine. Even if she breaks them or loses them, it's not a great expense unlike spending $200 or more for say BEATS headphones.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is exactly what I did. The sound isn't the greatest, but I'm only out $20 if anything happens to them. They were available on Amazon for about the same price.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I use an ipod- I stuff it in my bra.
    My phone is WAY to big to put in my bra.

Most of the guys I know use wireless connections and use their phones and just leave them in a bag near by.

I'd like to upgrade myself one day- but haven't gotten that far.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    I have a Walkman w274. It's just a headset. It's simple. It doesn't need to connect to anything. It's waterproof. I also use it while running or during my daily travels or I'm working outside, etc. I don't think they make this model anymore, so I can't vouch for whatever Sony is doing now.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Bluetooth headphones are great but kinda pricey,

You don't need to spend a fortune on them - especially as they're likely to get trodden on / weights dropped on them over their life. I got a pair of these and I'm pretty happy with them - only £14.95, which at current US/UK exchange rate and relative equipment prices is probably about $12

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I use LG bluetooth aptX set that my wife gave me for my birthday - has about a 50ft range so I can leave my phone anywherin the in the gym and still get music. If I decide to carry my phone around, I just lay it on the ground near my water bottle (never had a problem with it getting in the way). I don't like to carry the phone in my pocket because it falls out and then I have to backtrack thru the gym to find it...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I'm neo-old school and still use my trusty iPod Shuffle. I'm proud to say it's the only Apple product I've ever owned. It's awesome. Clip it anywhere, no pockets needed.

11205844-new-apple-ipod-shuffle-2gb-silver.jpg

Ditto for me! I love my shuffle. Clip it to my arm and I'm good to go. I had a woman come up to me and ask what it was once because she'd never seen one.

that hurts my feelings.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Yeah thinking of going the wireless route for sure. Wires always got tangled for me anyway! Found this cheap pair at Best Buy. Anyone know anything about these? 3.5 star rating but not too sure whether or not to trust it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sakar-batman-v-superman-bluetooth-wireless-on-ear-headphones-black/4807508.p?id=1219825715427&skuId=4807508
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Yeah thinking of going the wireless route for sure. Wires always got tangled for me anyway! Found this cheap pair at Best Buy. Anyone know anything about these? 3.5 star rating but not too sure whether or not to trust it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sakar-batman-v-superman-bluetooth-wireless-on-ear-headphones-black/4807508.p?id=1219825715427&skuId=4807508

I'd be interested to know about these too. I like big headphones.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited August 2016
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The question still remains... where to put the phone? I don't know.... i kind of feel like women get gypped because workout clothing very rarely has pockets. Unless you carry your gym bag around with you all workout.

Flipbelt. (Or a Chinese knock of copy)

They keep your phone perfectly safe and secure without adding any weight to you and will happily take an iPhone 6 Plus in a case!

As for wireless headphones I have a pair of Adistar which I love but were pricey. My wife uses a Tao brand pair from Amazon which are almost as good and cost about $30, plenty of volume and bass, all round good value b
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    loud AS F##K! B)