Where is the younger generation? Looking for the younger member conversation (25-35ish years old!)

I am 33, just looking to see some conversation from people around my age. (The fun crowd LOL) What motivates you to workout? Do you go with a partner? What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Least favorite? Do you break down your workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. ) or do you just stick to cardio? Eat clean or IIFYM? Do you take days off? Do fasting? How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk? Have you gotten to know people from the gym? Talk to me people! :smiley:

Replies

• RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    You know I think my generation is pretty damned fun!!

LOL. I am sure they are
  • moeshaforrester50
    moeshaforrester50 Posts: 30 Member
    Lol im under 25 years but what motivates me to work out is the people that are around me. My favorite days to workout are Wednesday, friday, and Saturday sometimes. My least favorite is sunday and monday im always busy on those days.. I do break down my workout in body parts but i do a little cardio sometimes. I eat clean and i take days off and i haven't been to the gym as yet but soon i will. I workout at home. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    34. Workout at home. 6 days with perhaps one of those six being an active rest day where I just hop on my little mini stepper for a while. One total rest day. Not planned, just how it happens. I use Fitness Blender so it's often broken down into upper, lower, full body. Use adjustable dumbbells.

Motivated by being able to be in control of my physical health where I'm not of my mental health. Really enjoy pushing my physical limits after a long hiatus.

No favourite days of the week. I'm on first name terms with my gym buddies (the cats, heh). Eat what I want as long as it fits in my calories trying to make sure I hit protein and fat for satiety but not hung up on it at all really. If I want junk I make it fit and eat it.

I am no fun at all.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    29. I'm motivated in part by how far I've come on my weight loss journey already, and knowing that the more I move, the more wiggle room I have with what I eat. Sometimes I'll go for a walk with my husband, but as far as the gym I just go by myself or I'd never end up going. I don't really have a favorite day to work out, but I think Fridays are my least favorite just because I've been working all week. So far I just do cardio, but when I go to the gym I just want to get my own stuff done and don't really talk to anyone else.

As far as food I mostly just stick to my calorie goals and try to meet protein and stay under sodium. If I want junk, I try to narrow down what exactly it is that I'm wanting and find a small thing of it to eat if I have the calories (a mini candy bar or whatever).
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    What motivates you to workout? Do you go with a partner? What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Least favorite? Do you break down your workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. ) or do you just stick to cardio? Eat clean or IIFYM? Do you take days off? Do fasting? How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk? Have you gotten to know people from the gym?

hi, I'm Damara and I'm 31

getting a stronger and leaner body with more visibly defined muscles motivates me to workout.

I go to the gym alone

sundays because the gym doesn't open till 9 and I get there right at 9 and it tends to be quiet

least favourite day varies. any day it's obnoxiously busy and I have to wait around for a squat rack

I don't do cardio other than walking, I just stick to the stronglifts 5x5 routine

I eat whatever I want that fits into my calories. somedays I go way over my calories.

I work out 3 times a week as per stronglifts so I get 4 rest days a week but I'm usually at least out walking

never fast, I get way too hangry for that *kitten*

I let myself have junk when I want junk

I knew people at the gym when I was doing bodyweight classes. now that I workout on my own, there are regulars I recognize but I don't really talk to them. I say hi to some of the staff and personal trainers but that's about it
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    HI! I'm 33. I'm told I'm fun... I think :)
  • rdiamondmfp
    rdiamondmfp Posts: 8 Member
    I'm 26! Weight loss and feeling accomplished bare what motivate me. Sometimes my fiance comes to the gym with me. I do treadmill interval training every workout day and alternate arms and legs .
    My fiance and I count calories and the thing that keeps me from cheating is that we have one cheat day a week. So if I really want soda, I just remember that I only have to wait a few days by have one.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    I'm pretty sure I'm 33... old age catching up to me and all ;) I love running but I do try to balance it with strength training. It's hard for me to stay motivated in that area since I mainly have to use the handweights (up to 25lb dumbbells) and bands that I already have at home. I tend to workout by myself and it's kind of 'my time' but I do yoga weekly with a class and that's kind of nice. I would kind of love an online strength training partner to help keep me accountable since I will let those particular workouts slide in favor of running if I have the choice lol.

I don't fast and I generally do an 80/20 since I don't do deprivation and just try to keep it realistic. I do make an effort to make most of my food homemade- so things like Nutella brownies (my dessert today!) I made from scratch yesterday for Sunday dinner and have a few days worth of leftovers.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Heyyyy I'm part of the "younger generation", how about that!? lol

It seems every year around July I get a workout bug and it is soooo hard to stick with that by October and the holidays it's fizzling out. Hopefully this year, that doesn't happen because being active and fit feels so damn good! What motivates you?

My favorite day to workout is Mondays because I love starting my week off right, and it gets rid of the Monday boo-hoos. I don't usually work out Saturdays and Sundays.

I hate cardio. I cannot run. Buuut without cardio, I'd probably die trying to do kettlebells for 2 minutes so I have to do *some* cardio for conditioning. So, a bit of cardio to warm up, then either legs, back/biceps, chest/triceps.

I try to eat well, I don't want to say "clean" since it has a bag stigma to it and to be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure what all it entails. But healthy for the main meals and add in other snacks to fill in my macros. No fasting. Being without food makes me sad.

I've only gotten to know a few trainers when the help with spotting or form, the guy at the front desk, and the lady in the kids care. lol There aren't many people at the gym at 8am on weekdays.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm 32 (I think, shoot had to go to my profile to double check, eek!). Progress (strength and physique) motivates me to keep going. I workout at home, alone. Favourite day is anytime when I can workout uninterrupted (ie. someone is watching the kids). I do a full body lifting program 3-4x per week, no cardio. I eat everything... IIFYM/flexible eating. I take 3 days off usually, I need them. I don't fast unless it is unintentional. If I want something, I eat it. I have made so many friends in my gym... all the centipedes and spiders we have a great time! :p
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    I feel like i'm completing a survey, LOL. I'm 25.

[*] [*] What motivates you to workout?

My health, A passion for fitness, My physique, and my mental health (depression/anxiety)

[*] [*] Do you go with a partner?

Sometimes. I am a personal trainer and I started training my boyfriend when i go and we workout together

[*] [*] What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Least favorite?

I like to workout on Sunday evenings or Friday nights because i can do whatever i want. I don't workout on Mondays, but pretty much any day towards the beginning of the work week when it's packed.

[*] [*] Do you break down your workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. ) or do you just stick to cardio?

I like to split my workouts by upper and lower, however, there is one day a week that i usually target mu glutes, abs, and do balance and agility work

[*] [*] Eat clean or IIFYM?

IIFYM, although I really only track protein intake nowadays as i've been in maintenance weight wise for about 4 years.

[*] [*] Do you take days off?

yep, I train 4 days a week usually.

[*] [*] Do fasting?

no, i have but i'm prone to bingeing. i only fast if im going on a date now

[*] [*] How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk?

i eat junk every day as part of my diet

[*] [*] Have you gotten to know people from the gym?

my personal gym, no. theres a few people who get acknowledgement nods but that's it. I live in Denmark where we don't talk to people we dont know in public, and CERTAINLY not in the gym.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited August 2016
    31 here. I began running just over a year ago and am hooked. Went from sedentary to running a marathon in one year! I'm motivated by how running makes me feel - I don't run to achieve weight-related goals. Running is for my mental health and the kitchen is what I use to manage my weight.

I recently added barre classes and stretching/strengthening exercises to my running routine as I'm struggling with runner's knee. When I'm healthy, I run 4-5 days/week, generally by myself, although my boyfriend joins me every once in a while. Monday and Saturday are my favorite days to run - don't have a least favorite.

I stick within the calorie range MFP gives me and that's it. I eat whatever I want so long as it fits in my calorie goal. That means I have a lot of burgers, fries, beer, Mexican food, etc.

I don't go to a gym but I see the same faces on the trail I run frequently so that feels like support even though we rarely talk. Hopefully will start getting to know people at the barre studio soon.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    I'm 35 and feel (and look, I think) better than I did at any point in my 20's being that I was overweight(still am), didn't work out, and had no energy.

My motivation for working out tends to wane, but I make it a point to work out a minimum of 3 days a week because I've committed to doing at least that much, but I usually work out 4 days. I take a couple classes on Tuesday evenings, and one class on Saturdays, and I meet up with a few women on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings to do some jogging.... either outdoors (depends on the weather) or on the treadmill. I only do cardio, but I'm getting ready to re-introduce weight training.

As far as my diet, I just try to focus on my calorie allotment for now and don't worry so much about macros. I am working on getting at least 25 grams of fiber, and would like to get more protein in the near future. If I want "junk", I'm mostly definitely going to have junk :# .

• RitaRose91
    RitaRose91 Posts: 38 Member
    What motivates me is that I workout with a pt and I don't want my money to go to waste lol plus it's a private gym and there's a cute guy who goes there
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    What motivates me most to workout is that I've come so far (almost 80 lbs) and I don't want to go back and damnit I'm not done yet! Lol

I usually lift with my husband, but lately not so much. I do Thursday leg day with my girlfriend R and I used to lift with some guy friends before that. I walk with my girlfriend D a couple times a week when we're not crazy busy. It helps to have a couple people who want to workout a couple times a week. Otherwise I workout by myself at the gym.

My favorite day to workout is Thursday, because my friend and I are at the gym for like 2 hours and I have weigh in the following day (I'm in a weight loss group with some guys at work *shudders* I hate weighing in in front of guys... that helps with motivation too)

Least favorite day to workout is Friday evening, because I like being out doing social stuff with my husband and daughter. Also dislike working out Saturdays after noon, before then I am ok with, again because I want some family time.

I break down my workouts, Monday: Walk with D (active rest), Tuesday: Chest/Shoulders/Tri's, Wednesday: Back/Bi's, Thursday: LEG DAY WHOOT WHOOT, Fri: Rest, Saturday: Super Set my Tues and Wednesday (if I go on Sat) or Run, Sun: Run.... Love lifting, trying to incorporate more cardio into my week.

Eat clean or IIFYM? I try to eat as clean as I can (I do enjoy junk though too) and try very hard to stick to my caloric goal of about 1,500 calories. I try to do mostly proteins and fats, I'm struggling with getting rid of carbs, I'm not too imaginative in the meal department to figure out carb-less meals. Any tips? Haha. :) Sometimes I blow my calorie goals, but I pick myself up and try again.

Do you take days off? Usually 2 days a week, sometimes if I'm super super active for a couple weeks I take 4 days off because I burn myself out... working on this

Do fasting? No.. but maybe I should look into this. Lol.

How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk (and to be lazy)? Moto: "Fake it till you Make It!" I pretend I want to work out and so I go out and do it and end up being glad I made myself. If I want to eat that donut.. I make overnight oats with nutella to get my sugar fix. Or I get 2 dove chocolate squares for dessert... or I make myself go workout. Sometimes I let myself have that junk day/meal and then I don't need it for awhile. I don't completely deprive myself so that helps, but I do say "ok Lisa, you let yourself have pizza yesterday... eat that spinach in the fridge today."

Have you gotten to know people from the gym? Meh.. some. I used to just put my earbuds in and ignore the world and do my thing. I had "don't talk to me face" at the gym, but now I don't mind chatting with people, if I see new girls in the weight area that look a little lost I'll maybe comment on what they're doing to help them. I want them to be comfortable. Now I'll smile at regulars and girls by themselves (not in a creepy way I promise!) :)
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    I'm 31, still young!

What motivates me is a bit bizarre, I'm really into sci fi and fantasy so my heroines are strong women, and I want to be that strong and look that good in skin tight leather!

I started convict conditioning a couple of week ago and I'm starting C25 tomorrow. Which will work out as 2 rest days a week.

I don't eat clean! But I do fast, I eat OMAD 6 days a week. And when I crave junk I have it, in moderation!!
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    What motivates you to workout?
    It's simply my therapy lol the endorphin rush and the challenge can't live without both

Do you go with a partner?
    No

What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Least favorite?
    Sunday
    Friday

Do you break down your
    workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. )
    Yep I do upper /lower 4 day split

or do you just stick to cardio?
    I run 10 k 6/days a week ..more when I'm cutting down

Eat clean or IIFYM?
    Clean and Iifym when needed 6 days then 1 free day of whatever

Do you take days off?
    1 day off because I love to workout

Do fasting?
    Sometimes

How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk?
    I have it , the mentality of being afraid to ruin ur diet or eating junk is the problem
  • nnwojnar
    nnwojnar Posts: 6 Member
    Hey there, I'm 26! About 4-5 years ago I was 140 pounds. My fitness levels were non-existent - I couldn't even take a walk around our subdivision which was less than a mile around! The final wake up call for me was when my boyfriend and I (now husband, we just got married in June) went on a leisurely day hike through a local gorge. We barely made it to the top before I turned pure white and passed out. Luckily, it was only for a few seconds, and with rest I was able to make a slow walk back down to camp. I started tracking my calories, then progressed to macros. I started to train for a 5k, a 10k, and then a year later, a half marathon.

I have been told numerous times that if I want to gain more muscle and lose body fat (which is my goal) I need to stop doing so much cardio, which has been difficult for me as a runner. My workout plan is as follows:

Monday - 5 mile run, short ab work, weights (back).
    Tuesday - Short cardio warm up (5-10 min tops), weights (arms and triceps)
    Wednesday - 3 mile run, short ab work, weights (legs)
    Thursday - Short cardio warm up (5-10 min tops), weights (shoulders)
    Friday - Morning yoga, short ab work, full body kettle bell session
    Saturday - 10 mile run
    Sunday - Rest

I am now trying to aim for low reps with heavy weights.

My least favorite workout would have to be ab work :neutral: I have scoliosis and tight hip flexors, so sometimes the exercises are difficult or painful. My hips are also uneven, so sometimes I have knee/foot/ankle pain with running.

My husband just started to get serious about working out and losing weight, so he has been my partner for about a week or so. I wish I had a friend that went to the same gym as I do and was serious about gaining muscle/lifting (my best friend goes to the Y). I am on the shy/nervous/extremely anxious side of the social spectrum, so I tend to not really talk to people at the gym. My headphones are in and I get into the "zone". I was never fit in high school, just naturally thin, so this may be a part of my problem.

For the most part, I eat pretty clean. I eat high protein (125 grams a day) and will not eat any heavily dense carbohydrate rich food after 2pm (I don't count veggies in this. I cannot eat dinner without them). I will have the occasional treat, but only 1-2 times a week. Beer/wine is a sort of weakness for me, and I have been doing my best to only have 1-2 drinks a week. I just keep reminding myself that all of the hard work I do during the week is not worth 4-6 beers or a bottle of red wine. I don't crave junk food, nor do I keep any of it in the house, but if it's in front of me, I tend to have an issue.

• xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    34. Started off November 2014 at a mushy 199 lbs, cut to a lean but thin 155, bulked to 185, and now cutting again to 170-172. Long term and short term goals keep me motivated. I don't go with a partner but work in with lots of people and have met a lot of good people over the last 20 or so months. I can't say i have a favorite or least favorite day, but i always feel like i've "done something" on deadlift and squat days. Least favorite is any day lifting while cutting.

Eating all comes down to what my goal is. If i'm bulking i'll get dirty to hit calorie goals. Right now is pretty clean though.

I'll deload and drop to 75% volume every 6-8 weeks. Aside from that there really are no weeks off unless its a vacation or other abnormality. consistency is key.