Tips on building muscle

Options
1. To optimize muscle growth perform sets of 8-12 reps.
2. Hit compound movements first .
3. Step up the weight each set.
4. Cheat reps count when it's the last 2 or 3 reps of a 8-12 rep set.
5. Focus on Dumbbells
6. Hit some pull ups for upper back and mid delts, for a V-taper.
7. Rest in between sets to push through heavy loads.
8. Add drop sets more deep muscle burn.
9.Rest to grow!
10. Create your workout split wisely.
11. Consume quality calories, greasy or empty calories will sabotage your efforts.

Replies

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What does "Add drop sets more deep muscle burn" mean?

I'd guess beginners don't know what compound movements are...I had to look it up. Also, "create workout split wisely" is a meaningless tip for someone who is fairly new to lifting.

I have a question...I've been doing a Push/Legs/Pull workout for about six weeks. I try to add weight to each exercise every week. The problem now is that by the end of my workout (45-60 min), I'm so beat my last one or two exercises are so difficult. Am I doing too many exercises? The only thing I can think to do is to vary the order I do them so it's different exercises at the end each time.
  • SoniaJay1
    SoniaJay1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »

I'd guess beginners don't know what compound movements are...I had to look it up. Also, "create workout split wisely" is a meaningless tip for someone who is fairly new to lifting.

I have a question...I've been doing a Push/Legs/Pull workout for about six weeks. I try to add weight to each exercise every week. The problem now is that by the end of my workout (45-60 min), I'm so beat my last one or two exercises are so difficult. Am I doing too many exercises? The only thing I can think to do is to vary the order I do them so it's different exercises at the end each time.

Drop sets refer to decreasing the weight after each set and increasing reps or going till failure. Do you take a pre workout or drink a BCAA during your workouts? A pre workout whether it be a meal or a supplement drink should help you get through your workouts. I take Mr. hyde but if you have never taken a pre workout supplement i would recommend amino energy or c4. They arent full of stimulates but it should be enough to help your finish up those last sets. I would also recommend a intra workout BCAA to help with recovery.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You forgot calorie surplus?

Could you explain how 'greasy' calories sabotage your efforts?
  • SoniaJay1
    Options

The health effects of greasy food not only depend on how greasy it is but also on whether you use saturated or unsaturated oil.The "greasiness" of food depends on the way you cook it and how much oil you use. Using just a little oil in a pan to sauté food makes food a little greasy, shallow-frying makes it more greasy, and deep-frying makes it especially greasy and high in calories. When you eat more calories than you burn in a day, your body stores the extra energy. Continuing this pattern over time causes weight gain, which can lead to becoming overweight or obese. Because heavily consuming greasy foods that were cooked in saturated fat raises cholesterol levels, your risk of both heart disease and stroke is elevated. Too much saturated fat causes plaque to build up in your arteries over time, blocking blood flow and putting you at a high risk for heart attack and stroke.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SoniaJay1 wrote: »
    kendahlj wrote: »

Drop sets refer to decreasing the weight after each set and increasing reps or going till failure. Do you take a pre workout or drink a BCAA during your workouts? A pre workout whether it be a meal or a supplement drink should help you get through your workouts. I take Mr. hyde but if you have never taken a pre workout supplement i would recommend amino energy or c4. They arent full of stimulates but it should be enough to help your finish up those last sets. I would also recommend a intra workout BCAA to help with recovery.

Don't waste your money on bcaa. And it's okay for your muscles to start to fatigue, they should be. That's why you start with the compound lifts, so that you're working at full strength.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    5. Focus on Dumbbells
    9.Rest to grow!
    11. Consume quality calories, greasy or empty calories will sabotage your efforts.

1. You need to achieve hypertrophy, which can be done in lower rep ranges. In fact, if I can find it, there was a recent study done that showed equal muscle gains weather it was 5 reps or 15 reps. But total volume would matter most.
    2. Agree
    3. If you are newer to lifting, probably easy, but I generally recommend some volume increase each workout; not necessarily each set
    4. sure but don't over compromise form
    5. Good to start with, going to cause limitations, especially on lower body.
    6. Sure, but can be achieved by multiple moves (e.g., lat pull over).
    7. Yep
    8. No necessary
    9. Very true
    10. Would never suggest that. You will make greater gains with a full body routine that is already proven (such as the ones found in this list). Self planned programs are largely ineffective.
    11. The foods you eat have less impact. Your overall diet is what matter, which can have greasy food in it.

But not a bad list.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

The health effects of greasy food not only depend on how greasy it is but also on whether you use saturated or unsaturated oil.The "greasiness" of food depends on the way you cook it and how much oil you use. Using just a little oil in a pan to sauté food makes food a little greasy, shallow-frying makes it more greasy, and deep-frying makes it especially greasy and high in calories. When you eat more calories than you burn in a day, your body stores the extra energy. Continuing this pattern over time causes weight gain, which can lead to becoming overweight or obese. Because heavily consuming greasy foods that were cooked in saturated fat raises cholesterol levels, your risk of both heart disease and stroke is elevated. Too much saturated fat causes plaque to build up in your arteries over time, blocking blood flow and putting you at a high risk for heart attack and stroke.

But you need more calories than you burn in order to gain muscle, no?
  • SoniaJay1
    Options

True but you dont want to forget the source! A high protein diet and high protein foods will help with muscle growth and recovery. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) is 0.36 grams of protein per lb of body weight. However, this recommendation is for the average person.As an athlete with an active lifestyle, you will require more protein to help with muscle recovery and protein synthesis. The general rule of thumb for athletes is 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight.In addition, having a high protein diet will boost your metabolism and therefore will help burn fat while you work to build muscle.
  • tillerstouch
    Options

True but you dont want to forget the source! A high protein diet and high protein foods will help with muscle growth and recovery. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) is 0.36 grams of protein per lb of body weight. However, this recommendation is for the average person.As an athlete with an active lifestyle, you will require more protein to help with muscle recovery and protein synthesis. The general rule of thumb for athletes is 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight.In addition, having a high protein diet will boost your metabolism and therefore will help burn fat while you work to build muscle.

Wait.... so a high protien diet increases metabolism, which will burn the fat you have and convert it to muscle? Is that what you're saying....
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Why are you copying and pasting lists from other sites without crediting them?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, doing pull-ups does not work your medial deltoid. And wth is an "empty calorie"?
  • SoniaJay1
    Options

Wait.... so a high protien diet increases metabolism, which will burn the fat you have and convert it to muscle? Is that what you're saying....

yes
  • SoniaJay1
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I'm sorry, doing pull-ups does not work your medial deltoid. And wth is an "empty calorie"?[/quote
    http://www.foodpyramid.com/myplate/empty-calories/
  • TavistockToad
    Options

yes

No. So much no.
  • SoniaJay1
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Why are you copying and pasting lists from other sites without crediting them?

If i could, i would but i got list from a post on a social media site (instagram)
  • TavistockToad
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry, doing pull-ups does not work your medial deltoid. And wth is an "empty calorie"?

Ribs and bacon are empty calories?! I don't thing so!
  • tillerstouch
    Options

yes

I think you should quit while you're ahead... It sounds like your just quoting a lot of bro science which has its place but it won't go over well here....

High protien won't boost your metabolism and your body won't burn it's fat unless you're in a calorie deficit. That's why when people bulk they gain fat with their muscle.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

By that logic, any food that doesn't have some micro or phyto nutrients are empty calories. Which is just stupid. Calories are calories and are completely unrelated to aforementioned nutrients.
  • SoniaJay1
    Options

yes

I think you should quit while you're ahead... It sounds like your just quoting a lot of bro science which has its place but it won't go over well here....

High protien won't boost your metabolism and your body won't burn it's fat unless you're in a calorie deficit. That's why when people bulk they gain fat with their muscle.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/248410-the-effects-of-a-high-protein-diet-on-metabolism/
    "Protein has profound effects on your metabolism. Though they both contain four calories per gram, protein forces your body to use more calories in digestion than carbohydrates do. This thermic effect accounts for one of the ways that a high-protein diet speeds up metabolism. In addition, protein builds metabolically active muscle and prevents body fat storage."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

5. Focus on Dumbbells
    9.Rest to grow!

i crossed out the items which are just good general advice.

However, there's no reason to focus on dumbbells vs, say, barbells. or bodyweight movements (like pull ups and dips).

Yes, having a V-Taper makes you look nicer. Not sure what it has to do with building muscle. LOL

And, calories are calories eat whatever you want. I applaud anyone who can eat bulking man calories on all low calorie "clean" foods. That volume must be insane.