Protein bars

Options
Ktjc2016
Ktjc2016 Posts: 37 Member
Can anyone recommend their favourite reasonably priced protein bars that I could add to my everyday diet? (Uk)

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pure Protein. Sold at local stores. Edible.
    I can't afford quest bars at almost $3 bucks a pop.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I love my Quest bars. I don't mind paying $2.30 for them. There aren't many meals I could eat that cheaply.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know if i'd call them reasonably priced, but Quest bars are my favourite, especially double chocolate chunk and cookie dough.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I copied this recipe for home made protein bars from a post here, I haven't tried them yet, but they sound good and easy to make.

" in sauce pan combine 1/2 cup preferred milk & 8 tblsp peanut butter & 1 tblsp+ honey. Warm up on low heat to melt & add cinnamon & 1 1/2 cups protein powder of choice (vanilla or chocolate peanut butter are great). Add uncooked oats & mix. Place in waxed 9x9 or other pan & pat firmly & freeze for 20 minutes. Then cut and pre-package servings. Calories and fat can be determined by you by adding any extras such as a handful of raisins & or top with a sprinkle of choc. chips or coconut or dried fruit/nuts/flax seed/chia seeds etc. Options are endless!"
  • suznhenz
    suznhenz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get mine from www.mydietshopz.com. I especially love the crispy lemon ones. The rocky road ones are good too, and are about $12 for 7 bars, which have about 15 grams of protein and around 160 calories. Looking at my crispy cinnamon ones show 18 g of carbs, with 5 g of fiber and 8 g of sugars. They have reviews by users of the various flavors and brands.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Trek and 9bars are good. Also bounce balls. I like nakd bars too but they are mostly made from dates
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Combat or Robert Irvine's FitCrunch (my only favorite). Quest bars are just absolutely nasty (this is only me).

I do not think any protein bar is reasonably priced. Especially ones that are decent enough to eat.
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to a couple of maxi-nutrition dark chocolate bars a week (but only if they are down to £1.50 each)

Otherwise I make my own - they have less protein per bar, but are cheap.

200 g, Oats
    150 gram, Nutella (if you like peanut butter, use that instead as it adds extra protein)
    160 g, Peeled banana
    100 g (2 scoops), Impact Whey Protein (Banana)
    approx 100 ml, British Whole Milk
    2 tsp(s), Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened
    45 g, Clear Honey
    50 g, Raisins

Combine all dry ingredients and mix; then add milk and honey and stir til combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet and cook for 10-20 mins at 200C. They will be slightly gooey, but cut into 12 slices and allow to cool.

They keep for about 5 days easily and can be frozen if you want to keep them longer.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    UK based answer:

There are less options in the UK than US (based on my US holiday last year it would seem that most of the big supermarkets have a decent range of types and flavors whereas in the UK only the biggest seem to have any type of protein bars at all).

per unit cost - online is probably your best bet but that usually means buying a box of one flavor which has the risk of you not liking them and ending up with a load of bars you don't like. so maybe the best way is to buy one or two at top price from a big supermarket and then get a box of your favorite?

The cheapest I've found quest bars was with Musclefood.com when they are on offer. But, I'm sure that there are other sites that are equally good on price. I took a punt and bought a box of Quest Strawberries and Creme flavor and I was disappointed in the taste - although many people rave about how good they are.

For reviews I'd recommend the Beltsander web site (http://www.thebeltsander.org/protein-bar-reviews/reviews/) - Irish and so some prices in Euros but you will probably be able to hunt out most of what he reviews.
  • Christine_72
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @StealthHealth I love Quest bars,but the strawberry, cheescake type flavours aren't very nice at all, i thought they were sickly sweet and fake tasting :confounded: If you're going to try them again, go for the chocolate or cookie dough flavours.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    deadliftsandnoodles Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    UK here, i used to buy Quest bars but it was very expensive when you could chug a protein shake for the equivalent of 25p. Sometimes Predator Nutrition sell short dated Quest bars on the cheap. Currently i think the hype is around Carb Killa bars, i've never tried it but a member on here tells me one of them is like eating a double decker bar, sounds good
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    UK based answer:

There are less options in the UK than US (based on my US holiday last year it would seem that most of the big supermarkets have a decent range of types and flavors whereas in the UK only the biggest seem to have any type of protein bars at all).

per unit cost - online is probably your best bet but that usually means buying a box of one flavor which has the risk of you not liking them and ending up with a load of bars you don't like. so maybe the best way is to buy one or two at top price from a big supermarket and then get a box of your favorite?

The cheapest I've found quest bars was with Musclefood.com when they are on offer. But, I'm sure that there are other sites that are equally good on price. I took a punt and bought a box of Quest Strawberries and Creme flavor and I was disappointed in the taste - although many people rave about how good they are.

For reviews I'd recommend the Beltsander web site (http://www.thebeltsander.org/protein-bar-reviews/reviews/) - Irish and so some prices in Euros but you will probably be able to hunt out most of what he reviews.

Amazon sells variety packs of several popular brands, including Quest and Pure Protein. They're more expensive than the best deals online, but probably still cheaper than the grocery store.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Fit crunch bars are where its at!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco around, and are or know a member, they sell their own brand (Kirkland) of protein bars. They are in brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough flavors. The price, of course, is quite reasonable.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Fit crunch bars are where its at!!!

They're pretty good, from my limited experience. However, why the hell did the birthday cake bar make my pee an hour later smell like the bar did? That seems...odd.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    Oh another good thing about Quest bars is the fibre content if you struggle to get it in, don't eat more than 3 bars though or you'll be farting like the gas taps in science classes
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Please try the Rise Almond Honey bar. Three ingredients: Whey protein, almonds, honey. Retail they're a little pricey, but you can find them online for less, by the box. Try Thrive Market. They are delicious and once you taste one you will not mind paying for quality.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Oh another good thing about Quest bars is the fibre content if you struggle to get it in, don't eat more than 3 bars though or you'll be farting like the gas taps in science classes

Good point. The Kirkland bars have like 15 grams of fiber. I actually have to not each much fiber or it aggravates my digestive system so I try to eat these only every few days but if you need a lot of fiber they're a tasty way to get it along with your protein.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Good point. The Kirkland bars have like 15 grams of fiber. I actually have to not each much fiber or it aggravates my digestive system so I try to eat these only every few days but if you need a lot of fiber they're a tasty way to get it along with your protein.

Yeah Quest are great if you are not getting fibre the diet. I found that having Quest, beans, bread etc all in one day gave me cramps