Annoying Lil' Neighbor

Options
I was trying to put my 3 year old down for a nap because she obviously needed it today. Well, with close success, the doorbell rang 5 or 6 times followed by a thousand knocks. Usually I open the door, but I was a little upset at the lack of consideration going on. It's our 10-year-old neighbor that does this and comes over to play with the girls. (I get frustrated because she needs to find children closer to her age. My girls have learned a few things from her that I am not in favor of.) But she continued to ring the doorbell over and over and over and knocked irratically. I didn't answer because I was so upset. My husband goes on night shift every 6 weeks and she wakes him up with the knocking and the doorbell. (I turn off the doorbell, but prefer to have it on when I'm not within hearing distance of knocking.) I don't know what to do. I know I should say something, but I don't want to end up coming off as "the mean lady" lol.

Replies

• gobigorange2916
    gobigorange2916 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely say something... to her parents. If you don't, it's only going to get worse.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You really need to say something to the girls parents. Just politely explain about nap time and your husbands schedule.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My friend had the same issue with her neighbor....she had to finally tell the little girl that she could only come over if she saw the kids outside, because otherwise they could be sleeping. If that doesnt work, I would tell the kids mom.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Talk to the parents and post a note on the door...maybe you can paint a cute little sign you can hang out there when someone is trying to sleep
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Have you explained it to her?

Only go to her parents if you've explained it to her and she still does it. No need to get the girl in trouble.

It's frustrating, but kids don't always get the hint. You have to be direct. A kid will keep knocking for a good, long time if you don't intervene.
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You wont come off as being mean, but you should definately talk to her mom and just let her know your situation. I would think that if she had any sense then the mom would understand. I had to do that a time or two when my girls were little. Good Luck :wink:
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Wonder if a "do not disturb" sign would work :) Whenever it's up (there could be a code) then she shouldn't knock!

Of course not wanting the kid over at all then you should talk to her parents and explain that you'd prefer more age appropriate mates for your kids
  • superstitious
    Options
    Id just open the door... and tell her to rack off. Its not polite for her to keep doing it. You will be doing her a favor and teaching her a valuable life lesson.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would speak to the child and explain that if you don't come to the door after one ring or knock that you are busy with the baby or in the shower. Sometimes when you treat a child like an adult, and you expect them to behave appropriately, they rise to the occasion.

If it doesn't work, then go to the parents. Hope it works out for you:wink:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend made a sign & hung it on her front door. Something like.... "Sleeping Child! Please knock gently & do not ring doorbell". Thank you!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    talk to her parents and tell them straight up. A 10 year old should not be playing with such a young baby.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    We used to live in the one neighborhood where there were 8 boys on our street all within the same age range. I never heard the end of the friggin' door! I made up an 8.5 x 11 sign in a page protector with a string to suspend it from the door knob that read: "Do Not Knock or Ring the Bell - we are resting. Come back later. Thanks! :)" That worked.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    1. Pitbull
    2. Taser
    3. Moat
    4. Quicksand

All are effective.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    My kids are 13 and 10 now but when they were smaller and still taking naps, our door was OFF LIMITS.
    I had neighbor kids wanting to come over and play and eat and all that at all hours.
    If it wasn't the neighbors, then it was the delivery guy. ( ack!)
    Finally, I decided to get on my computer and make a sign. It was a happy sign and colorful.

KIDS ARE ASLEEP - PLEASE DO NOT RING DOORBELL
    PLEASE KNOCK ONLY ONCE
    IF NO ANSWER, PLEASE COME BACK LATER
    FOR ALL DELIVERIES, PLEASE LEAVE THEM ON PORCH ( unless a signature is needed, then you may knock)
    THANK YOU

It didn't take long for the kids to learn that if the sign was on the door - they didn't come over
    When the sign was down...there they were...lol
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    On a further note, what you probably have is a lonely kid. For whatever reason, she feels like your kids are good playmates. They might not be suitable, but she's reaching out for what she can. And @ 10, how can she have the kind of foresight to know that she's being a nuisance unless she's told the rules. I know it's frustrating, but give the kid a break. She probably means well.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    1. Pitbull
    2. Taser
    3. Moat
    4. Quicksand

All are effective.

Hahaha, that's awesome!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1. Pitbull
    2. Taser
    3. Moat
    4. Quicksand

All are effective.

LOL..hysterical :)
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    1. Pitbull
    2. Taser
    3. Moat
    4. Quicksand

All are effective.

LOL..hysterical :)

I do not condone these items as 10 year old little girl repellents.

Make a nice sign.
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    She came over again so I opened the door and explained the situation to her nicely. I hope she understands and follows through. I will still make a nice sign to hang when it's not a good time to knock or ring the doorbell. I understand that she's not doing this intentionally, but I also have to think what's best for my family. Thank you everyone for your input! You've been a tremendous help!
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    As the mother of a 9-almost-10 boy who doesn't get subtle clues I suggest:

First, talk to the girl and tell her that there are times when your kids can't play with her, and make a signal between the two of you to let her know when that is.

Next, make a sign for the door for those times when knocking and doorbell ringing is not what you want.

If you know where she might find kids her own age, try talking to her parents and say off hand that you think she might be happier with doing X, where the other kids her age are.

If she forgets your signal after posting your sign and a gentle reminder, you need to talk to her parents and let them know she's having trouble remembering social rules... which is a sign that she could need help due to Asberger's Syndrome.