Calling all C25K before and afters!

Options
Bearface115
Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
I'm really liking the c25k program and I'd like to get peoples testimonies! Photos are helpful, but even decribing tour journey is inspirational for me! On Friday in doing my W1W3!!!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I somewhat followed it for the first half of the program, then went on my own and just ran as long as possible and stopped to walk when I had to. Eventually after a few months total I worked my way up to running the entire 5K distance. I ran my first 5K in May of this year and finished in under 40 minutes! I've run 2 5Ks since then and I've got my time down to 35:26, something I NEVER though I'd be able to do! My next goal is to get it under 35 minutes, I'm planning to run more races in the fall.
  • lazirlott
    lazirlott Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just completed the program, based on time not distance, and want to encourage you: YOU CAN DO IT! When I started I was wiped out after the programs in weeks 2 and 3, huffing and puffing. But now I can run (actually jog) for the whole 30 minutes; a big difference. I did have to repeat some days and weeks; if I couln't complete the workout or felt like it was killing me when I did.....I repeated. I used an iphone app and got one of those arm bands to hold the phone. The app said when to run and when to walk so that I didn't have to keep looking at my watch. It feels great to have made such a change. It is still hard to make the 30 minutes, but I am going to keep running that until I feel more comfortable then begin to work on distance and speed as I am slow, and not covering 5K in the 30 minute run time :)
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I love C25K!!! I'm starting W7D1 today :) I was never a runner and am pleasantly surprised at how much I love this program and that I can actually do it lol I might actually get the nerve to actually run a 5K soon
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I did very much the same thing, followed it until I was more comfortable making my own program. I still have to walk sometimes (asthmatic) but I wouldn't be doing it at all if it wasn't for C25k. I'm even training for my first half marathon right now :bigsmile:

Good luck to you!!
  • ahunt888
    ahunt888 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how wonderful the program has been for me. When I first started, W1D1 was hell for me. I didn't think I could get through even the 60 seconds of jogging. I absolutely wanted to quit and give up. Lucky for me, I have a runner friend who wouldn't let me. I stuck with it and this past Friday I ran 5k for the first time in my life. It is the most amazing sense of accomplishment when you finally do it. I've alternated the program with other exercises like swimming and walking. And it definitely took me longer than 9 weeks because I was so out of shape to begin with. But it was definitely worth it. Not only did it help with my weight loss, it taught me that exercise can actually be an enjoyable activity in itself. I feel strong and proud of myself. Good luck to you! My main advice would be to go slower if you need to. I had to repeat days and/or weeks if I couldn't make it through or just felt that I needed to be stronger before I moved on. And remember when it gets tough that it will be worth it at the end!
  • amo13
    amo13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE C25K. It was perfect for keeping me on a workout schedule. Loved it so much that I've started the B210K program [starting week 2 today]. Absolutely highly recommend it to everyone.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I didn't take pictures. Bah. I was doing things other than C25K while I was on it, though--at first other cardio (cross-training) the days I wasn't running, and then I started doing weight training during the last three weeks of it.

But, to give some perspective: I started C25K in late March, and finished it in early June. I did it based on distance rather than time, and I did have to repeat two days of Week 5, but other than that, it was smooth sailing. Since then I've regularly run 5K three days a week. And I ran my first official 5K on Monday in Coronado--came in with a time of 29 minutes, 35 seconds! It was a huge victory for me, and I really have C25K to thank for easing me into running.

Now I'm planning on running four days a week, and today I ran four miles, without stopping, in 45 minutes, a new personal record for distance for me. (:

I lost about 9 pounds while I was on C25K, too. Definite plus.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I to somewhat fallowed the program, did the watch, fast walk, then run and diffident interval
    Last wk I did my 1st 5K without fast-walking, ran the entire way, listened to my body and did it!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3mph on the treadmill and jog at 4mph. is that ok to start?
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Quick and dirty on my success with it...

Never ran in life (would walk the one mile test in HS) literally.

I did walking for exercise for many years. Would try to jog a block and couldn't even do that.

Started C25K last August at the age of 42. Finished in October.

I have run five 5ks, two 10ks and am just starting a program to run a 1/2 in October!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a graduate!

From when I started in late December to when I ran my first 5k in March (in 29:42!) I'd lost 18 pounds. I started at 5mph (12 minute mile) on the treadmill, and by my 2nd and 3rd 5ks in April, I finished right around 28 minutes, a 6.7 mph (9 minute mile) pace. Even keeping the same pace for a 5 mile race in early May, finishing just 7 seconds behind my very athletic 25 year old niece. Not bad for an old broad who never ran before!

I haven't done any normal races (Warrior Dash was far from NORMAL!) since, but I've been training for a 10k (July 23rd) and know my speed and endurance has picked up since then.

Stick with it. It's an amazing feeling of accomplishment.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'm starting this - I'm on like week negative three. I could only run 30 seconds when I started. I want to read lots of stories.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I super puffy heart love C25K!

I just graduated and while I am slow as hell, I can no jog (waddle, wog, whatever you want to call it) for 35-55 minutes at a time. I am going to keep on with little mini goals for myself as I am not yet running a 5k in the 30 minute time frame (I am no where NEAR this) and go from there.

There were times when I thought that there was no way on the face of the planet that I would survive. But I did. And I am so proud of myself for doing so!!

Because of this program, I can now say that I jog 3x a week! NEVER in my life did I think I would ever say that!
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    LOVED the C25K program. I admit it, I still struggle with running as I am not a natural-born runner. But I love the feeling I get when I am all done. The trick for me in the c25k is mind over matter. You want to stop; your body is tired. Do your best not to stop unless you're in real pain. Just push through those rough spots. I try to distract myself. I'll start mouthing the words to the songs I'm listening to or do math in my head (I suck at math so it's a challenge with no pencil and paper) or count my steps until I'm through the rough spot.

that being said, I would recommend this program to anyone who will listen. I have no pictures but I did keep track of my weight and measurements. I didn't lose too much weight -- 5 lbs, but I wasn't eating consistently super-duper either. I lost 1.5 inches off my waist, 3" off my hips, 2.5" off what I call my "butt" measurement, basically lower hip area, 3" off my bustline, and 3" off each thigh in the 9 weeks to complete the program. I've since participated in a few 5k races and they've been so fun. I think the last one I clocked in around 35/36 minutes. I'll start participating more this fall. I plan to participate in a 10k hopefully this november. GOOD LUCK!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it!!!C25k week 5 day 2
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I completed it in August 2010 and finished my first 5k in September 2010. My goal was to complete a 5k with zero walking and C25k helped me do that.

I don't consider myself to have any natural running talent and have allergies that frequently make it difficult to breathe through my nose, so I focused on the times set forth by the program rather than distance. It was a lot easier to "jog for 20 minutes" than try and jog 2 miles. There was no way I could run 10 minute miles at that time. Do what works best for you and don't be afraid to repeat a week, day, whatever!

After completing the program, I jogged on my own doing a combination of long runs at a slower speed and shorter runs at a faster speed and in April I did another 5k and showed a huge improvement in time. My gains have been slow but they have still been gains. I don't expect to ever be a fast runner, but I like knowing that I can run for 3+ miles if I need to.

I still remember how painful it was in the beginning of the program... things jiggling and such. But it really does get better... your body will change and your wind will improve.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I did the C25K last year and ran my first 5K on Thanksgiving Day. I ran it in a little over 30 minutes. Then in February I ran my second in 29:29 minutes. I also did a 10K run in 1:06 and a 10K hike (12% grade) at a rather slow pace 1:42

I am able to run at about 6mph but I am thinking about adding in some sprints at higher speeds to get a little faster.

I had to stop running in April after a knee injury but I got the all clear from my PT and have started running again. I'm doing between 2.5 and 4 miles now. I am training for a 5 miler in August!

Good luck to all you runners!!!
  • mrsgsnow
    mrsgsnow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I followed the C25K program back in 2009 and ran my first 5k in September that year. I was hooked the minute I crossed the finish line. I had never run before... in my life... I hated it! Since then, however, I've run several 5k's, fun runs, 10k's, a half-marathon, 2 full marathons and am planning on completing 4 marathons between Nov '11- Feb '12!!!

http://snowrunningmama.blogspot.com
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I started running with modified C25K program with a local running club. They were able to do the 5K at the end of 10 weeks; I was only up to about a mile with no hills. I struggled for three more months until one day; I went out for a training run and just ran. All the hills that I normally struggled to just get to the top felt like small potatoes. Before I knew it, I hit three miles. I haven't stopped since. Since then, I've finished several 5Ks, two 10Ks, a half marathon and I'm currently training for a marathon in Oct and one following in Jan. My times get better and better and one day I hope to be a sub 10/minute miler for the full.

I don’t have any pictures of when I got started, but I do have a thread posting from a couple of months ago with all the gory details. :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226456-things-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-started-running

Congratulations and good luck!!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    that is amazing everyone! keep the good news a-coming!!! :-) i cant wait to do my jog now on friday!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!