Oolong Tea and green smoothies

Options
Currently doing a green smoothie cleanse for 10 days im also drinking oolong tea. Staying away from sugary treats like icecream and cookies. Anyone have experience with oolong tea? i heard it helps with weight loss.

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Currently doing a green smoothie cleanse for 10 days im also drinking oolong tea. Staying away from sugary treats like icecream and cookies. Anyone have experience with oolong tea? i heard it helps with weight loss.
    Heaven's no that sounds awful. And it won't work long term.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

Is there a purpose to suffering misery with this useless scamwoo? You don't need to "cleanse" anything and oolong tea will do nothing for weight loss.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you want a green smoothie have one by all means, but the best way to lose weight is count calories and make sure you burn more than you eat. Oolong tea will not help and has no special weight loss properties.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    oh oh... not another cleanse thread ..... this should get interesting!
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The cleanses are scams and you feel for it.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Cleansing what exactly? The human body is pretty good at self cleaning and if your body isn't doing that properly you should go see a doctor.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My wife calls me oolong.

But more importantly, I think it's a good idea that you're laying off the cookies and ice cream/etc like you mentioned in your post.

However, you really don't need to do any sort of a detox or cleanse where you limit yourself to liquids.
  • annied000
    annied000 Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am on day 7 of the green smoothie "cleanse." I don't think my body needs "cleansing" and I know it doesn't "jumpstart" my metabolism. What it is doing is causing a rapid weight loss of about 6 lbs (yes, mostly water) which is causing me to become really motivated to exercise and adopt a healthier lifestyle incorporating more greens and fruits and less processed junk food. I don't know why this is so controversial. It can be used as a tool for people like me that need that extra motivation.

I've done it once before a few years ago and surprisingly kept the weight off. I don't know about the Oolong tea. I haven't tried any detox teas and drink my regular caffeinated tea while on this "cleanse."
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Not that 10 days is going to make any kind of difference in the long term, but if I spent 10 days dumping that much sugar and caffeine into my system without enough fiber, fat or protein, something bad would happen by the end of it. I don't understand why you don't just eat the greens instead of wasting money on smoothies.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Aaaaannnnddd what's going to happen when you start eating normally again after losing water weight?? Do yourself a huuuuge favor and stop "cleansing".

I'll take that back. The only thing you're "cleansing" is your wallet. Eat at a caloric deficit (not easy but nearly 100% effective!) and you'll lose the weight.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I periodically do a short "cleanse" or modified fast for a day or two. It works for me. It breaks plateaus and helps me get back on track when I fall off plan. I eat raw produce and drink water/tea. I do not gain the weight right back and tend to drop 2-5lb each time. I only ever gained weight back when I went off plan for a full year and gained back 30lb of the original 86 I'd lost. There were multiple lifestyle changes that played into that.

You will find that a lot of people on this site will jump and tell you it is all bs, woo, or a scam the minute they read the word "cleanse". My best advice is to discuss any new plans with your doctor and find what works for you.
  • annied000
    annied000 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Not that 10 days is going to make any kind of difference in the long term, but if I spent 10 days dumping that much sugar and caffeine into my system without enough fiber, fat or protein, something bad would happen by the end of it. I don't understand why you don't just eat the greens instead of wasting money on smoothies.

Maybe we're talking about different things... I'm not buying smoothies. I'm blending greens and fruit in my blender. I also eat some lean protein throughout the day... Mostly eggs and some nuts.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    annied000 wrote: »

Maybe we're talking about different things... I'm not buying smoothies. I'm blending greens and fruit in my blender. I also eat some lean protein throughout the day... Mostly eggs and some nuts.

Well, if you're using a blender (not a juicer), you're at least still getting the fiber that was originally in the produce. My system still wouldn't respond well to getting that little protein and fat...if I were relying mostly on eggs, I would need to eat over a dozen eggs a day to even come close to getting adequate protein, and that's just disgusting. That's me, though. YMMV.
  • SCoil123
    Options

Well, if you're using a blender (not a juicer), you're at least still getting the fiber that was originally in the produce. My system still wouldn't respond well to getting that little protein and fat...if I were relying mostly on eggs, I would need to eat over a dozen eggs a day to even come close to getting adequate protein, and that's just disgusting. That's me, though. YMMV.

There is protein in dark leafy greens too. I personally eat a lot of meat and dairy most of the time but have vegetarian children who get plenty of protein to be healthy.

I believe the OP said she is having smoothies, eggs, nuts, and a snack of apples with peanut butter daily. It doesn't sound like that would create any nutritional deficiencies.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

There is protein in dark leafy greens too. I personally eat a lot of meat and dairy most of the time but have vegetarian children who get plenty of protein to be healthy.

I believe the OP said she is having smoothies, eggs, nuts, and a snack of apples with peanut butter daily. It doesn't sound like that would create any nutritional deficiencies.

There is *some* protein in greens, but in the quantities most people eat them, it won't come close to meeting one's needs. It's more like a boost to foods with more protein. A cup of kale, for example, has about three grams of protein. Even a smoothie packed with greens isn't going to have a ton of protein.
  • SCoil123
    Options

There is *some* protein in greens, but in the quantities most people eat them, it won't come close to meeting one's needs. It's more like a boost to foods with more protein. A cup of kale, for example, has about three grams of protein. Even a smoothie packed with greens isn't going to have a ton of protein.

She is also having eggs, nuts, and peanut butter in addition to greens. Many people eat these types of foods long term and are very healthy. To me it looks like she is just cutting out meat and dairy temporarily, which isn't an issue.
  • AliceDark
    Options

You realize that the person I responded to (who said she's making smoothies in her blender and eating eggs and nuts) isn't the OP, right? The OP is the person who said she's eating apples, PB (this is a good source of fat, but really doesn't give you much protein), one meal and two green smoothies a day. Plus, "green smoothie" can mean a lot of things, so we really don't know if they're mostly dark leafy greens or mostly fruit juice.