janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    annied000 wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Not that 10 days is going to make any kind of difference in the long term, but if I spent 10 days dumping that much sugar and caffeine into my system without enough fiber, fat or protein, something bad would happen by the end of it. I don't understand why you don't just eat the greens instead of wasting money on smoothies.

Maybe we're talking about different things... I'm not buying smoothies. I'm blending greens and fruit in my blender. I also eat some lean protein throughout the day... Mostly eggs and some nuts.

Well, if you're using a blender (not a juicer), you're at least still getting the fiber that was originally in the produce. My system still wouldn't respond well to getting that little protein and fat...if I were relying mostly on eggs, I would need to eat over a dozen eggs a day to even come close to getting adequate protein, and that's just disgusting. That's me, though. YMMV.

There is protein in dark leafy greens too. I personally eat a lot of meat and dairy most of the time but have vegetarian children who get plenty of protein to be healthy.

I believe the OP said she is having smoothies, eggs, nuts, and a snack of apples with peanut butter daily. It doesn't sound like that would create any nutritional deficiencies.

There is *some* protein in greens, but in the quantities most people eat them, it won't come close to meeting one's needs. It's more like a boost to foods with more protein. A cup of kale, for example, has about three grams of protein. Even a smoothie packed with greens isn't going to have a ton of protein.

She is also having eggs, nuts, and peanut butter in addition to greens. Many people eat these types of foods long term and are very healthy. To me it looks like she is just cutting out meat and dairy temporarily, which isn't an issue.

She may be eating enough protein from eggs to meet her needs, but if nuts/nut butter are providing a big chunk of her protein calories then I'm not sure if she'll be able to reach a calorie deficit. Hard to tell without seeing quantities though.

I don't think there is any problem with cutting out meat and dairy (I haven't had either for about ten years), but getting sufficient protein is still something to consider.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If you don't know its best to ask rather than assume and tell someone it isn't good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you don't know its best to ask rather than assume and tell someone it isn't good.

I don't think I told anyone anything.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

I didn't say it would be bad for her...in fact, I said that 10 days won't make any difference. I did say that her plan would make ME PERSONALLY feel awful because the lack of protein, fat and fiber would chuck my blood sugar all over hell's half acre.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    For snacks im eating apple slices with peanut butter.

Unfortunately for all of us
    1. peanut butter is extremely calorie dense
    2. tablespoons are much smaller than we think

If I was snacking on peanut butter with or without the apples I would gain for sure.

• trinablue85
    trinablue85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To be clear for the people who arent clear on what green smoothies is im blending greens with a few fruit. I dont use fruit juice in my smoothies i use coconut water. I eat a meal which may consist of more greens , chicken, fish, eggs and for snacks i have apple slices with peanut butter. I am reducing my calorie intake and im physically active at work. Ive done the modified cleanse before and lost 12 lbs. I only did it once so im trying it again and drinking maybe 2 glasses of oolong tea a day and im not adding sugar to my tea.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To be clear for the people who arent clear on what green smoothies is im blending greens with a few fruit. I dont use fruit juice in my smoothies i use coconut water. I eat a meal which may consist of more greens , chicken, fish, eggs and for snacks i have apple slices with peanut butter. I am reducing my calorie intake and im physically active at work. Ive done the modified cleanse before and lost 12 lbs. I only did it once so im trying it again and drinking maybe 2 glasses of oolong tea a day and im not adding sugar to my tea.

My stomach flinches just reading that. I'm also worried for your own digestive system further down the tract. :open_mouth: