For all you moms out there!!

Options
cbratthauer
cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
So I don't have a child of my own but I did practically raise my cousin's daughter, so I think I know what the basic necessities are for a baby.... But I feel like I might be forgetting something....

My friend is having a baby, and she gave us one of her pitbull puppies as an early wedding gift which I know meant she lost out on some money by not selling it, so I wanted to get her something neat for her baby gift. I am getting a basket from Hobby Lobby and filling it with all the necessities, this is what I have so far. If anybody can think of anything I am missing please let me know!!!
Baby Wipes
Diapers
Baby Lotion
Body and hair wash
Desitin
Baby Orajel
Baby oil
vaseline
baby powder
soft q-tips
bottles
body suits
sleep and play outfit
socks
Bibs
Burp Cloth
Receiving Blanket
Snuggle buddy
wash clothes
hooded towel
(all the clothing/bibs/towels are puppy themed!)

If there's anything else you moms wished you would have gotten when you had your baby please let me know!!!!

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    anti bacterial hand gel works wonders its what i put in baby baskets also a picture frame babys first handprint and foot print, pacifiers
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    anti bacterial hand gel works wonders its what i put in baby baskets also a picture frame babys first handprint and foot print, pacifiers

I didn't even think of hand gel! Thanks! She did say they don't want any pacifiers because I did have some puppy ones picked out lol.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest getting a hamper instead of a basket. Most people don't think about getting a hamper but someone gave me one filled with all this great stuff and I liked that gift better than all of the gifts I got. I always give this gift to other moms. She's gonna have a LOT of laundry and hampers are enclosed and presentable so she can keep it by the changing table.

Other items:
    - washable breast pads/shields (even if she's not breast feeding - still need them)
    - a sheet saver (a short pad that ties tightly across the width of the baby's crib mattress where baby's head rests to collect spit up)
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wish anyone would have just watched my kid for an evening to be able to get out and see a movie. I still wish this haha! If you live close by maybe throw in a coupon for one free night of babysitting!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Anything for the mom in there? Breast pads,pjs, slippers... A workout dvd! hah. That is so bad.
    You got lots of stuff it will be good.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    baby nail clippers , nose syringe, bottle brush cleaner, pacies .. a tube of lansinoh if she will be nursing..that stuff is heaven sent!
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    nail clippers, thermometer, baby proofing items like outlet covers or drawer locks...it's a little early yes but often not thought about until it needs to be done immediately
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    mylicon gas drops
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Boudreaux's butt paste is wonderful! I always give it for gifts! Also, on burp clothes if you have not purchased them already I would buy cloth diapers; they work wonderful as burp clothes and are easy to bleach if needed for stains! On diapers I would recommend buying size 2 because lots of people buy NB and size 1's and the baby may not be in those sizes very long depending on how big he/she is.
  • jessicarn76
    jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with the baby nail clippers. Heck, we still use those for my 7 year old! Skip on the powder. As an obstetric nurse, we caution against it.
    Baby socks
    Gowns -even for a boy, makes middle of the night diaper changes faster
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    There are a couple things you need to get rid of.

The Baby Powder and the Oral gel --> Both are now NO longer recommended because of issues with each.

Instead of Baby Powder most Dr. will actually recommend a box of Corn Starch

I would add
    couple of little hats. To keep babys head warm

I would also add
    1 package of INFANTS Tylenol. Your friend will not need it right away but often is something that is forgotten and
    then when you do need it you don't have it. (Your friend will learn that when her baby is 0-3 you can't give baby medicine unless approved (and the dose) by a DR. This is something you want on hand though because a baby can get a fever and it can raise REALLY quickly and want to be able to call Dr. and act fast if need too.

I would also add - 1 digital Rectal thermometer and 1 nasal aspirator
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest getting a hamper instead of a basket. Most people don't think about getting a hamper but someone gave me one filled with all this great stuff and I liked that gift better than all of the gifts I got. I always give this gift to other moms. She's gonna have a LOT of laundry and hampers are enclosed and presentable so she can keep it by the changing table.

Other items:
    - washable breast pads/shields (even if she's not breast feeding - still need them)
    - a sheet saver (a short pad that ties tightly across the width of the baby's crib mattress where baby's head rests to collect spit up)

I like this idea!
  • jterry03
    jterry03 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If she is not breast feeding, a formula separator (for the dry formula) she will be able to prepare bottles on the spot, when she feels like leaving the house and is out and about. :)
  • kldobbs02
    kldobbs02 Posts: 8
    Options
    Little noses, little fevers, bottle brush (don't remember if that's on there) baby hangers, those pretty smelling diaper bags for when you have to toss a dirty diaper in public or someones house.

I know I got TONS of stuff for a newborn and once my son got a little older I didn't have stuff for the "infant" stage like:
    Baby spoons, baby bowls, rice cereal
  • jterry03
    Options
    oh also hand mittens/gloves
    so the baby doesnt not scratch their face.
  • tsaenz09
    tsaenz09 Posts: 30
    Options
    If you get the anti- bacterial hand gel, make sure it is alcohol free. And the hamper instead of a basket is a good idea. Also, a baby book is a really great gift. Plus, you can also think of getting your friend stuff that she'll use while she is in the hospital (cards, magazines, Baby's first year book, shampoo, soap, lotions) and if she is going to breast feed nursing gowns come in very handy.
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    Dont forget the in the ear digital thermometer...like the ones that they use at the emergency room. When my kids were babies, I wouldnt have taken a gazillion dollars for mine.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    How about a baby bathtub?
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    Triple Paste is the best diaper rash cream. You used to could only get it from the pharmacist. We went on vacation once and luckily I remembered girls on my birth board talking about Triple Paste, because nothing else that I had worked on his diaper rash. He got upset tummy from traveling and his butt was so red it looked like it could have started bleeding. We stopped and got some Triple Paste because Desitin and the butt paste was not working and by the end of the night his butt was almost normal looking lol I tell everyone I can about this stuff, because it really saved us a few tears (from him and me)
  • jterry03
    Options
    Triple Paste is the best diaper rash cream. You used to could only get it from the pharmacist. We went on vacation once and luckily I remembered girls on my birth board talking about Triple Paste, because nothing else that I had worked on his diaper rash. He got upset tummy from traveling and his butt was so red it looked like it could have started bleeding. We stopped and got some Triple Paste because Desitin and the butt paste was not working and by the end of the night his butt was almost normal looking lol I tell everyone I can about this stuff, because it really saved us a few tears (from him and me)

Agreed, good stuff.