Can we have a Steak Appreciation thread

Options

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    choice cut from the butcher, lightly seasoned with S&P, seared in the cast iron and finished to medium rare in the oven. *sigh* heaven.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    rippin2U wrote: »
    Isn't there a national steak day in March?

Its steak and BJ day. Sort of valentines but for men. I celebrate the steak part.

Party pooper. lol

• cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i <3 steak...sirloin, new york strip, filet, it's all good. i like mine either rare, mid-rare, or pittsburgh style (seared on each side, rare in the middle). om nom nom
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i like all steaks. lately ben only sous vide'ing and searing on the grill. loving it.
  • tgilmore16
    tgilmore16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ribeye or New York Strip, medium well, served with 2 fingers of bourbon. Maybe a salad and maybe not.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    While I won't say no to any steak cut cooked south of medium, my favorite is a filet au poivre...
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Favorite? That's like asking me which kid is my favorite.

But it's the strip, Pittsburgh style. Just don't tell the skirt or ribeye.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    rippin2U wrote: »
    Isn't there a national steak day in March?

Its steak and BJ day. Sort of valentines but for men. I celebrate the steak part.

I love this day! Except my BF doesn't like steak and I do. So he gets chicken, I get a sirloin rare and, well, the other part of the holiday is satisfied.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Sorry Im a chicken girl
    chicken-eating-dance-o.gif
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Any...but a super-cheap, super-tasty bavette - 1 min each side on a fiery BBQ surprises me EVERY TIME!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I like a thick steak and I cannot lie. T bones, sirloin, Scotch fillet....With Montreal steak spice/The Keg steak spice plus The ultimate steak splash from the Garlic box. We currently use propane, but charcoal is the bomb.
    Rare.

My husband is an insanely awesome bbqer.

I'd LOVE to try dry aged steak, though. Has anyone tried dry aged beef? What's it like?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    What's a Scotch fillet? I live in Scotland and I've never heard of this. Our fillet steaks are the same as anyone else's, other side of the T-bone from the sirloin.

I love a good steak, but I have to be in the mood. I'm bad at cooking them, so I don't - mistakes are too expensive and make me too sad.

My preferred cut is ribeye, I like flavour over tenderness, so I never order fillet. It's also too expensive and tricky (lean, dry) and you have to be able to trust the chef to know how to handle it. Not all of them do.

I generally go medium but I'm not fussy, if the restaurant has a recommendation to suit the meat, I'll take it. I've never fancied it blue or very rare, though. Too squashy and runny.

I like onion rings and pepper sauce, although the best steak I ever had (in a steakhouse in Glasgow) was so good I couldn't bear to put sauce on it, I just dipped the chips in it.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like steak well done. #sorrynotsorry

I can tolerate a little bit of pink but no blood or red juice all over the plate. Nope nope nope.

I have thin cut steaks in the freezer. I'm going to slow cook them with potatoes, carrots and tomatoes for dinner on Friday.

I was vegetarian for almost 7 months but several bags of beef jerky broke me. Not quite steak but goddamn I love jerky so hard.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What's a Scotch fillet? I live in Scotland and I've never heard of this. Our fillet steaks are the same as anyone else's, other side of the T-bone from the sirloin.
    I think it's a boneless rib-eye, and they're only called that in Australia. I could be wrong, though. The name just stuck even though I've been in Canada for 9 years... Haha. Not sure why it's call a Scotch fillet, though.

• evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    NY Strip, t-bone, or porterhouse.... rare. I wish I knew how to BBQ...hubby did that and made the most awesome steaks, but he passed in January. I need to learn how to do that, but I don't want to ruin an expensive piece of meat
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am living in the middle of beef country here. My granddaughter just had her first Filet Mignon. She may now be spoiled against lesser cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes medium rare I love it !
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Crab stuffed filet with whiskey peppercorn cream sauce
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bavette, so much tastier than fillet, and much better value.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    An inch thick, NY strip, grilled medium so it is a little pink. Seasoned with salt, pepper & onion powder.