Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Plexus.... a cult or what?

Options

Replies

• pspenny36
    pspenny36 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just had a friend on Facebook "I'm so excited to start my new journey with Plexus..PM me for more information"

Perhaps Unfriend her may happen instead. It's sad to see people duped in this $$$$$$$ Industry (Health & Weightloss)

My Ex's new wife is trying to get me on it. And it is a scam. If you read the label, it's all things you can get at a health food store. They just wrap it up all pretty-like, slap a fancy word on it and sell the crap out of it.
  • pspenny36
    pspenny36 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that if you're into it, my subject line alone horrified you. Because I've never seen a group of people be so insane over....not sure what it is... a bunch of vitamin drinks? I mean, I don't particularly care because I prefer to get my nutrition from food. Eating is just generally more fun for me. But I have a Facebook friend who sells it or is somehow involved with it, and is pushing it every stinkin day. And it's starting to smell like a heavy marketing, if not a pyramid, if not brainwashing, scheme. She's a sweet lady, but I have to get her out of my newsfeed before I say something I shouldn't. The daily story is that her life was crap before but now she is smarter, more alert, more able to eat right and able to go to the gym because of this magic elixir. It's sad. You can do all of that without chemicals in a glass.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. I respect the opinions of many on here, so if there is legit data to support this craziness, I'd be interested to hear about it. I'm still not buying it, but since it's in my face every day, I'm curious what you all think.

Cult? I wouldn't go that far. Scam? Yes, definitely.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    DowKEtWnLZcru.gif
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Plexus products have been life changing for my family. My husband suffered from chronic neck pain for 20 years and he is now almost pain free. That is the only change he made. He doesn't need to lose weight and doesn't take it for weight loss. My daughter couldn't tolerate gluten or dairy but after being on the probiotic for several months she can now eat anything the other kids can, and doesn't have daily stomach aches or headaches. I had tried lots of supplements and other brands of probiotics with no results. It's not a miracle cure but they are simply high quality supplements that really do help some people with chronic health issues. I think some people go overboard with promoting it. It's not a pyramid scheme, though. That is illegal.

This statement right here is what worries me. If my body is rejecting a type of food for some reason... I'd rather find out "why", get to the root of the problem vs. putting on a band aid. This is the problem with our entire health care system (in the US), our doctors are not trained to look for the cause they are trained to just treat the symptom! Also... so what happens next? Do you have to take these pills for the rest of your life? Here's a news flash... your daughter can't tolerate dairy because milk is for baby cows, not for human consumption. Do some research. Sorry if I sound harsh... I can't stand it when folks say "I was able to take this (insert product name here), and not change 'anything' about my diet..? Really? Good luck with that.

Oh dear child no...

Well, obviously this is my opinion.
    Correct...
    Despite the hundreds of medical studies and white papers out there to prove it
    There are also plenty of studies that say milk consumption is fine. So where does that leave us...?
    it's still my opinion and okay
    Okay...
    I am biased being in the holistic "food is medicine" field
    Correct...
    But really, do we trust a product that claims a person can lose weight without changing anything about their diet? I don't think so....
    One has nothing to do with the other...

So I went on a bit of a tirade... forgive me :smile:
    Those milk studies you speak of are sponsored by the dairy industry and pushed by lobbyists who work for the dairy / pharma industries. People get sick, everyone gets paid.

I must be really lucky then...

Not luck. Your body had to adapt and figure out a way to digest it.
    Once we're weaned from our mothers our body eliminates the digestive enzyme needed to break down milk sugars, we no longer need it. Humans are the only species that continue to consume milk from a different species so our bodies react in one of two ways.... either adapt with slight symptoms from time to time or become intolerant, which is why there are thousands and thousands of humans who are lactose intolerant. But hey, it's all good... just take a pill and keep consuming the dairy because we all know "Milk does a body good". And when you get side effects from that pill, keep drinking the milk and take another pill for that side effect... and so on, and so on...

The end :smile:

No. Here's a decent summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence
    Multiple studies indicate that the presence of the two phenotypes "lactase persistent" and "lactase nonpersistent (hypolactasia)" is genetically programmed, and that lactase persistence is not necessarily conditioned by the consumption of lactose after the suckling period.

The lactase persistent phenotype involves high mRNA expression, high lactase activity, and thus the ability to digest lactose, while the lactase nonpersistent phenotype involves low mRNA expression and low lactase activity.[5] The enzyme lactase is encoded by the gene LCT.

Many of us -- for example, most people whose ancestry is from northern and western Europe, as mine is -- are not lactose intolerant and have no negative reactions to dairy. I never have; I feel best when it's in my diet. It's one of the easiest foods for me to digest, even -- I find a yogurt a great pre morning workout meal, and back when I drank milk I'd have a glass of milk and a banana.

I didn't give up milk for any reason other than not particularly liking to drink calories. Now that I'm obsessed with smoothies for the moment I'd probably add it to the smoothies except I don't drink enough to justify buying it, so use lower cal coconut water. I consume lots of dairy in other forms.

I may or may not be a baby cow -- that is my personal business.

Damn you, I was "leading" to that with my comment. You stole my thunder.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sorry!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Which somehow reminds me that another way to deal with lactose intolerance is to ferment the milk:

http://www.mongolfood.info/en/recipes/airag.html
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Re milk: I clearly have a Death Wish. I pour a glass of milk, add Whey Protein to it - and that's my breakfast. It's the one HEALTHY meal I have consumed daily for decades.....LOL!!! Oh - and my Doctor says I'm so stinking healthy - I need to "keep doing what I've been doing". So I guess I'll keep tempting fate.....
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    " I have nipples Greg, can you milk me?" - Robert Deniro in "Meet the Fockers
    ...sorry that's just what popped into my mind when I read this thread...

Hahaha! Love it! Jepetto- the little engine that could
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am loving this milk debate btw. Even though it sort of derailed the post this is what people should do, educate themselves, look at the bigger picture is all. To each their own. Personally I am hooked on coconut milk
  • druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I usually choose to drink the non-dairy alternatives because the organic cow's milk is more expensive than almond or coconut milk. This said, I do eat regular yogurt because, ironically, nut-milk or coconut-milk-based yogurt is more expensive than even the organic cow's-milk-based yogurt. But then, I usually buy the store-brand almond milk which is tasty, and 1/3d the price of the name brand stuff.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options

It's actually from Meet the Parents. One of my favorite movies, and that line gets quoted quite a lot in our house. Thanks for the smile this morning!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    haviegirl wrote: »

It's actually from Meet the Parents. One of my favorite movies, and that line gets quoted quite a lot in our house. Thanks for the smile this morning!

Sorry that's what I meant...!
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    617c2d1a7041ee7dd8b3e6266133c66ef5f3fe49.gif

Omg I love chad..... Squirrel

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    617c2d1a7041ee7dd8b3e6266133c66ef5f3fe49.gif