Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Plexus.... a cult or what?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I started Plexxus to help with my migraines, and it has been helpful. My obgyn looked at some of my supplements, and she said they are a great source of folic acid and other nutrients. I can't say it has helped my weight loss, but it has helped with my energy levels and overall health.

I hate MLM scams, and supplements that are supposed to be the magic of weight loss, but I think it's pretty awesome you've found something that helps your migraines. I used to have migraines before I discovered my lactose intolerance, and those migraines can be pretty brutal. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    For what it's worth, Plexus products have been life changing for my family. My husband suffered from chronic neck pain for 20 years and he is now almost pain free. That is the only change he made. He doesn't need to lose weight and doesn't take it for weight loss. My daughter couldn't tolerate gluten or dairy but after being on the probiotic for several months she can now eat anything the other kids can, and doesn't have daily stomach aches or headaches. I had tried lots of supplements and other brands of probiotics with no results. It's not a miracle cure but they are simply high quality supplements that really do help some people with chronic health issues. I think some people go overboard with promoting it. It's not a pyramid scheme, though. That is illegal.

That's wonderful the products work for you and your family for health reasons, but it is a pyramid/MLM business.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Yeah I would never buy any multi level marketing products ( regardless if it's worded differently, it's still just the same old mlm scams)

Exactly.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous medical claims. Reason 439627 for not buying into MLM crap. I vote cult - like.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, Plexus products have been life changing for my family. My husband suffered from chronic neck pain for 20 years and he is now almost pain free. That is the only change he made. He doesn't need to lose weight and doesn't take it for weight loss. My daughter couldn't tolerate gluten or dairy but after being on the probiotic for several months she can now eat anything the other kids can, and doesn't have daily stomach aches or headaches. I had tried lots of supplements and other brands of probiotics with no results. It's not a miracle cure but they are simply high quality supplements that really do help some people with chronic health issues. I think some people go overboard with promoting it. It's not a pyramid scheme, though. That is illegal.

This statement right here is what worries me. If my body is rejecting a type of food for some reason... I'd rather find out "why", get to the root of the problem vs. putting on a band aid. This is the problem with our entire health care system (in the US), our doctors are not trained to look for the cause they are trained to just treat the symptom! Also... so what happens next? Do you have to take these pills for the rest of your life? Here's a news flash... your daughter can't tolerate dairy because milk is for baby cows, not for human consumption. Do some research. Sorry if I sound harsh... I can't stand it when folks say "I was able to take this (insert product name here), and not change 'anything' about my diet..? Really? Good luck with that.

Oh dear child no...
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

This statement right here is what worries me. If my body is rejecting a type of food for some reason... I'd rather find out "why", get to the root of the problem vs. putting on a band aid. This is the problem with our entire health care system (in the US), our doctors are not trained to look for the cause they are trained to just treat the symptom! Also... so what happens next? Do you have to take these pills for the rest of your life? Here's a news flash... your daughter can't tolerate dairy because milk is for baby cows, not for human consumption. Do some research. Sorry if I sound harsh... I can't stand it when folks say "I was able to take this (insert product name here), and not change 'anything' about my diet..? Really? Good luck with that.

Oh dear child no...

Well, obviously this is my opinion. Despite the hundreds of medical studies and white papers out there to prove it, it's still my opinion and okay, I am biased being in the holistic "food is medicine" field :smile:

But really, do we trust a product that claims a person can lose weight without changing anything about their diet? I don't think so....

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    cboes83 wrote: »
    I havent started plexus yet but plan to. I have a friend that sells it and started because of life changing experience she had. She been selling for about 3 years and her results are amazing. She is pregnant with her 3rd child as we speak and is still using plexus doctor recommended. I have friends that use it for their adhd children and has worked so well they got to drop the medicine they were taking for it. My mother who has struggled with constant pain most of her life started plexus and came off her medicine. I have several friends that no longer take insulin due to plexus. I have a hard time believe that this is a scam when I seen amazing results from very close friends of mine. Plexus isn't for weight loss it is for over all health and in process of getting healthy and your body regular it causes weight loss.

No it doesn't. Only a calorie deficit can cause weight loss.

BOOM!
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Oh dear child no...

Well, obviously this is my opinion.
    Correct...
    Despite the hundreds of medical studies and white papers out there to prove it
    There are also plenty of studies that say milk consumption is fine. So where does that leave us...?
    it's still my opinion and okay
    Okay...
    I am biased being in the holistic "food is medicine" field
    Correct...
    But really, do we trust a product that claims a person can lose weight without changing anything about their diet? I don't think so....
    One has nothing to do with the other...
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

Oh dear child no...

Correct...
    There are also plenty of studies that say milk consumption is fine. So where does that leave us...?
    Okay...
    Correct...

So I went on a bit of a tirade... forgive me :smile:
    Those milk studies you speak of are sponsored by the dairy industry and pushed by lobbyists who work for the dairy / pharma industries. People get sick, everyone gets paid.

• J72FIT
    Options

Oh dear child no...

Correct...
    Okay...
    Correct...

Those milk studies you speak of are sponsored by the dairy industry and pushed by lobbyists who work for the dairy / pharma industries. People get sick, everyone gets paid.

I must be really lucky then...
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

Oh dear child no...

Correct...
    Okay...
    Correct...

Not luck. Your body had to adapt and figure out a way to digest it.
    Once we're weaned from our mothers our body eliminates the digestive enzyme needed to break down milk sugars, we no longer need it. Humans are the only species that continue to consume milk from a different species so our bodies react in one of two ways.... either adapt with slight symptoms from time to time or become intolerant, which is why there are thousands and thousands of humans who are lactose intolerant. But hey, it's all good... just take a pill and keep consuming the dairy because we all know "Milk does a body good". And when you get side effects from that pill, keep drinking the milk and take another pill for that side effect... and so on, and so on...

The end :smile:

• J72FIT
    Options

Oh dear child no...

Correct...
    Okay...
    Correct...

Once we're weaned from our mothers our body eliminates the digestive enzyme needed to break down milk sugars, we no longer need it. Humans are the only species that continue to consume milk from a different species so our bodies react in one of two ways.... either adapt with slight symptoms from time to time or become intolerant, which is why there are thousands and thousands of humans who are lactose intolerant. But hey, it's all good... just take a pill and keep consuming the dairy because we all know "Milk does a body good". And when you get side effects from that pill, keep drinking the milk and take another pill for that side effect... and so on, and so on...

Wow...
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Oh dear child no...

Correct...
    Okay...
    Correct...

We're also the only species that I know of that actually can. Only we can domesticate them...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    When people find something that really works well for them, they often promote it and come across sounding like a cult member. Some would say the same about LCHF, and I have gotten that vibe from many on this very website regarding CICO. It works for people, which is great! But that doesn't mean it works for everybody.
  • pspenny36
    pspenny36 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    My cats would drink all the milk I would give them... I can't imagine that they are the only species that would do so.

Also, if lactose is bad for everyone, you would think that the countries with the highest consumption would have the most people with intolerance? That's not the case though.

http://pets.thenest.com/veterinarians-say-cats-drinking-cows-milk-cream-6972.html

Milk has never been good for cats.