Anyone Ever Been To New York City?

Options

Replies

• kledmons
    kledmons Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try Groupon for hotel deals... or stay on the outskirts and use public transportation. There are many ways to get into the city... The ferry or metro north train ( takes you into grand central). I've never had a problem using the subway just like anywhere you go be aware of your surroundings. Yes Times Square is crowded but I encourage to do a quick walk through ( in the evening it's pretty neat and close to Rockefeller Center and the such) Central Park is pretty ( the mall is my daily walk). Walk the Brooklyn Bridge or high line both free. There's pizza places or halal stands. If you do the 911 museum make it at the end of a day ( it can need emotional).
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Can anyone who has been to the area provide as much info as possible. Best hotels to stay at, what I should see/ shouldn't and why you feel that I should/ should not. How much is parking? I am guessing driving your own vehicle is out of the question for the most part and taking a subway is the best option? I plan on taking a trip in the next few weeks and will only have the weekend to visit. Thanks!

Parking can be as much as $65 per day; one 1/2 hour is usually about $10. Street parking is very hard to find. If you can manage to not take a car you will be better off.

Make a list of everything you have ever wanted to see in NYC & then rank them by order of how much you want to see them. Go to the top 10, assuming you have time. Over a weekend, probably top 3-4.

What's your budget? The average daily room rate for a hotel the size of your closet at home is about $350 per night. If the hotel is much less than that (not on a bidding sight) buyer beware. Do check out hotwire, priceline & groupon for deals. For such a short time, stay in the City. You will waste too much of your precious & short time heading out to the suburbs, plus with an in-town hotel you can change or rest as required.

Wear comfortable shoes but NOT sneakers or you will immediately be targeted as a tourist. Walk as much as possible both for the exercise / health benefits & so you can soak up the local flavor / color.

Eat in places that are not chains available at your local mall back home. If budget is a concern have lunch as the fancy super expensive place. Then have a NY Slice for dinner.

Check out www.tripadvisor.com & use the forums there. Also check out sidewalk.com and NYOne.

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    https://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago - I hear its been updated, but I loved it back when it was like time travel - going back in time to the 20's or 30's. It was very comfortable, right off Time Square, and there was an amazing deli attached to it on the bottom floor - great food, and cheap.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to New York City?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zdqY4VReSw
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    If I only had a weekend in NYC, I would hang out in Central Park and go to Di Fara's pizza in Midwood, Brooklyn.

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Late Summer to Fall is peak season so look to pay higher hotel prices in Manhattan. Don't take a car into the city. It's just not worth it. Hubby and I usually take the train or bus which drops us off near Times Square and either cab/uber/ or subway to your destination. For tours and if you're not familiar with NYC, then I suggest taking the Hop On/Hop Off bus and ride the whole loop so you get to see the neighborhoods and decide where you'd rather be.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    My cousin is there at the moment . She went to see phantom of the opera 2 days ago . Said it was great .
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    Lots of suggestions here. The one thing I did with out of town guests that was interesting was the hop on hop off tour bus. Told you a lot about the city and its origin and saved your feet. The guide was very knowledgeable and it was a combo with a ferry around the island of Manhattan. Learned a lot and was not exhausted.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A jersey boy here giving my advice. I think taking the NY waterway ferry is a good way to go. If you use that you can pick up the ferry on the Jersey side then try to get the ferry that goes to the south street seaport. That area is the old Fulton Fish market area. You would then also be near the Brooklyn Bridge area. You can do a healthy walk from that pier area to the financial district area. You know the area, stock market? That statue of the bull? If you continue the health walk south of the bull you get to battery park and can see the Statue of Liberty, maybe take a ferry there? Or if you are staying in Jersey you can do the Ellis Island Statue of liberty ferry from Liberty Park in Hoboken on a separate day. OK, back at the pier, if you take a health walk west you should be able to get to the new Liberty Towers and the 911 memorial. South Street seaport will have shopping. I think the NY waterway ferry system also provides a bus service with in the city and its ort of separate from the average city bus service.
    If you are visiting in December, then it's Rockefeller Center and the Christmas tree to see. Be warned it is extremely popular area that time of year but what the heck you're on vacay! Again, in December try to get to Wollman Park Ice rink for ice skating. Times Square is a tourist area but mostly stores.
    Is NYC expensive? Yes.
  • sue442016
    sue442016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    been to NYC 5 times love it❤️
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've just been once. Renting a car is not necessary - you can get ANYwhere in the city via subway, bus or ferry. For sure Central Park, and we really, really loved the Met. A tip. You don't actually have to pay any $$$ to get in. There is a suggested donation of $25, but we didn't know that it was optional until we were already in. If you have time to take the ferry over to Hoboken, Benny's has the best pizza that we have ever, ever had.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC. Parking costs an arm and a leg. And no, you won't want to drive around the city. Take the subway. What do you want to see? I have trouble suggesting things because I live here and don't see it the same way a tourist does. Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Times Square?
  • arditarose
    Options
    There are no affordable hotels. If you really want to knock a few bucks off you could stay in Brooklyn.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    We stayed at a hotel just outside Queens and took the train into the city everyday. It was kinda a sketchy area, but we were only there to sleep. Haha. I'd recommend taking the advice of a local for hotel. Definitely don't drive. We took Uber only a couple of times because the price skyrockets at night.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Lots of suggestions here. The one thing I did with out of town guests that was interesting was the hop on hop off tour bus. Told you a lot about the city and its origin and saved your feet. The guide was very knowledgeable and it was a combo with a ferry around the island of Manhattan. Learned a lot and was not exhausted.
    Definitely agree with this! I'm so glad we did this when we went!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    If you want to stay in Brooklyn, I recommend the neighborhoods Park Slope, Downtown Brooklyn, Carrol Gardens, DUMBO, Prospect Heights, anything around the Barclays Center.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    A jersey boy here giving my advice. I think taking the NY waterway ferry is a good way to go. If you use that you can pick up the ferry on the Jersey side then try to get the ferry that goes to the south street seaport. That area is the old Fulton Fish market area. You would then also be near the Brooklyn Bridge area. You can do a healthy walk from that pier area to the financial district area. You know the area, stock market? That statue of the bull? If you continue the health walk south of the bull you get to battery park and can see the Statue of Liberty, maybe take a ferry there? Or if you are staying in Jersey you can do the Ellis Island Statue of liberty ferry from Liberty Park in Hoboken on a separate day. OK, back at the pier, if you take a health walk west you should be able to get to the new Liberty Towers and the 911 memorial. South Street seaport will have shopping. I think the NY waterway ferry system also provides a bus service with in the city and its ort of separate from the average city bus service.
    If you are visiting in December, then it's Rockefeller Center and the Christmas tree to see. Be warned it is extremely popular area that time of year but what the heck you're on vacay! Again, in December try to get to Wollman Park Ice rink for ice skating. Times Square is a tourist area but mostly stores.
    Is NYC expensive? Yes.

Thanks. I'm going in December. I will go to wollman Park but I have to do a spin in front of the tree at Rockefeller centre...or a spiral. spin is less dangerous haha but it's the icon and the typical NYC winter movie scene
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My ex use to work for an airline, so what I would do is catch an early flight into JFK, spend the day doing the touristy thing then catch the red eye back home. I avoided the expensive hotel rates. It was great when I use to fly for free. Flew standby, but in those days there were plenty of flights and seats available.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Basically want to see the Statue of Liberty for sure, go to Central Park, check out Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building. I basically want to go photo crazy and take in as much as I can in such a short amount of time.