Replies

• caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One meal a day. And thanks.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you - started with kcal and now focussing on protein and fibre targets. I'd look out for higher protein veggies like soya beans and peas, and eggs can help boost protein. Although I struggle without including yogurt/milk/jerky/protein powder as a boost to hit that level.

As for chocolate - there's a snickers protein bar! Haven't actually tried it yet, but under 200kcal for 18g protein it might hit two birds with one stone!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One meal a day. And thanks.

And there is the problem. It's going to be extremely difficult to get 90g of protein in one meal. By looking at your diary, you do have a few snacks. So you will need to replace those with high protein sources to achieve that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm the same as you - started with kcal and now focussing on protein and fibre targets. I'd look out for higher protein veggies like soya beans and peas, and eggs can help boost protein. Although I struggle without including yogurt/milk/jerky/protein powder as a boost to hit that level.

As for chocolate - there's a snickers protein bar! Haven't actually tried it yet, but under 200kcal for 18g protein it might hit two birds with one stone!

The snickers protein bars are really good.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how much protein milk has. Two percent is richer than whole milk. Cheese, too. I mean I know it's in there but when you do the math, it's really a lot. Ten grams a serving for milk, a glass is twenty. I've never loved milk, but I'm drinking more lately.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    50g of protein shouldn't be hard at all. I aim for 1g/lb of body weight every day. That's about 240g. Also not hard if you pick the right food.
  • caradack1985
    Options
    The snacks are more dessert than snacks, but I'll swap out chocolate for a higher protein dessert. Yesterday I had fruit with Yoghurt to start and I have chia seeds I can add to that which would give me another small boost. And with the main meal component I'll just have to cut the carbs and add more beans and legumes, or use things like quinoa instead of noodles. None of which I can do today as we're off on holiday tomorrow so today's meal is a cleaning out the fridge one, fortunately I have lots of sausages to use!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I saw this about the Snickers protein bar and got super excited! And then I googled and realized it's a UK product. *sadpanda* :'(
  • caradack1985
    Options

I saw this about the Snickers protein bar and got super excited! And then I googled and realized it's a UK product. *sadpanda* :'(

Finally, a win for UK folk!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

I can assure you that the snickers marathon protein bars are in the US. I eat them every time I go to WAWA.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The snacks are more dessert than snacks, but I'll swap out chocolate for a higher protein dessert. Yesterday I had fruit with Yoghurt to start and I have chia seeds I can add to that which would give me another small boost. And with the main meal component I'll just have to cut the carbs and add more beans and legumes, or use things like quinoa instead of noodles. None of which I can do today as we're off on holiday tomorrow so today's meal is a cleaning out the fridge one, fortunately I have lots of sausages to use!

For dessert, do greek yogurt with protein granola.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I can assure you that the snickers marathon protein bars are in the US. I eat them every time I go to WAWA.

Oooh, I will have to get those!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

what about the mars ones too? They're on sale here for 5 mars and 5 snickers protein bars for $30.00. Not sure if i should order since theyre the same price as quest (aka super effing expensive).
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options

No way?! We have something others don't?! I just assumed they were everywhere. Sorry!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    The RDA recommends (.36 per pound of body weight). The 46 g for females is based on the reference weight of a 126 lbs woman.

Are you vegetarian? It is not recommended to eat more then 6 oz of meat a day (won't go into that here). So 6 oz of skinless chicken is around 50 g and 250ish calories. The rest you can get from whole grains, protein shakes, legumes, and beans (there is also some protein in vegetables and fruit).

NO-animated-gif.gif?gs=a
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The whole 1 - 2 g of protein per lb of bodyweight thing is over-hyped. You don't need as much as people try to sell you. Generally these studies are paid for by supplement companies trying to sell you protein powders. I used to buy into all that too. But in the last couple of years I eat a lot less protein but keep the same muscle with no problem. I don't mind having some protein powders and they can be useful and convenient but you don't need as much as the 'studies' claim.

Last couple of years I've been getting at most, .8 g per lbs of lean mass not per lbs of bodyweight. So for me that's about 150g of protein at 215 lbs. I probably get even less than that lately to be honest usually and it doesn't seem to matter. If you're training for a competition, I'd say you need to be more specific about your macros, but for 99% of us it's not really necessary.

On the other hand, protein plus some fat is satiating and can help keep you from snacking if that's a problem for you.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

what about the mars ones too? They're on sale here for 5 mars and 5 snickers protein bars for $30.00. Not sure if i should order since theyre the same price as quest (aka super effing expensive).

Whaaaaaaaat! I must find them!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Not widely available in Australia either :sad: I just excitedly scoured the internet and found a place that sells them for the discounted price of $83 for a box of 12, they've gotta be effing joking!!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes. They are like a kitten party in my mouth.