Protein Question

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As a 5'4" woman in the 130-140lb range I can easily get 130-160g of protein per day, in a deficit. I would never have less than .8g per pound of body weight personally.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    As a 5'4" woman in the 130-140lb range I can easily get 130-160g of protein per day, in a deficit. I would never have less than .8g per pound of body weight personally.

You get 130-160 grams of protein in a deficit!?

I am 5'8" and weigh 150 lbs. Using the .8g per pound of body weight formula, that would be 120 grams of protein for me. I honestly don't think I could ever reach that number and I am in maintenance.

Do you use protein shakes or protein bars to help you get that much?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Yes. They are like a kitten party in my mouth.

And this sentence right here is why the kitten filth filter swap is just so wrong. Yes, I know you typed kitten yourself.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Ours look a little different but I'm sure they are the same thing. As you can see they aren't cheap here either!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snickers-Protein-Bar-Pack-bars/dp/B01ELIQ280
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Nope. They are totally different

Snickers-Protein_VIS.jpg

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Snickers-Protein_VIS.jpg

Interesting..
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    what is the sugar content in those bars
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    what is the sugar content in those bars

about 10g.

But for 200 cals and 18-19g protein, MEH about the sugar content.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Following the 0.8 x ideal weight formula, it seems I'm undereating protein by about 50g. What are some good, low carb/low sodium/non bean or legume sources of protein I can add to meet the daily goal?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Much of the above are good guidelines. Let me add two things to consider if you're looking at this closely:

(1) RDA is a minimum required intake for general health for a majority of the population. It says nothing about optimal intake for muscle mass or health or the minimum needed for outliers, and the studies supporting RDA are based on nitrogen balance. The first of the links below goes into detail as to why this approach is likely misguided.

(2) The 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight are considered starting points for strength atheletes. Some people may need less and some may very well need more. The links below show a range of optimal intake for the study participants and this is something worth experimenting with for yourself over time. I've personally found that when I'm dieting I benefit from a bit more protein and target 1 gram per pound of overall body weight (which is consitent with the general advice to up one's protein during a cut). The flip side of this is that if you have healthy kidneys then more protein won't hurt you, and it may benefit you by helping you feel satisfied.

So, here are some items worth reading:

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/01/26/ajcn.115.119339

http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    Following the 0.8 x ideal weight formula, it seems I'm undereating protein by about 50g. What are some good, low carb/low sodium/non bean or legume sources of protein I can add to meet the daily goal?

meat and fish?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Snickers-Protein_VIS.jpg

Now, if they could just do this with the ice cream versions
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You get 130-160 grams of protein in a deficit!?

I am 5'8" and weigh 150 lbs. Using the .8g per pound of body weight formula, that would be 120 grams of protein for me. I honestly don't think I could ever reach that number and I am in maintenance.

Do you use protein shakes or protein bars to help you get that much?

I like protein bars, yeah. They just happen to fill me up and be a good snack for me. I also happen to like protein powder. Regardless, I could do 130 pretty easily without either of them. Egg whites for breakfast, tuna/shrimp for lunch, greek yogurt for snack, ground turkey/chicken for dinner.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Geez, I can get 60-80 a meal sometimes. Yes, I use whey.

180-200gr is purty easy to do for me.
  • HeenaJiwani
    HeenaJiwani Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary. I eat about 100-150 grams of protein a day depending on if I am lifting that day or not. Lots of fish, chicken, eggs, Quest bars and protein powder. ;-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The 0.64-0.8g per lb bw came from this analysis of studies I think .http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

..I still go with this as I liked it when I read it, and agreed on the analysis based on the source studies

Also find that its easy to hit 100g+ protein just eating normally for me

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's recommended to get about 50-60g of protein per day. Eating additional protein won't make you lose weight if that's what you're wondering.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's recommended to get about 50-60g of protein per day. Eating additional protein won't make you lose weight if that's what you're wondering.

Without meaning to be picky ...For who?

That's very specific. So a 7' bodybuilder and a 5' 100lb 60 year old should consume the same protein amount?

Eating adequate protein and training appropriately helps to achieve specific fitness goals such as preserving maximum muscles in defecit, or muscle repair / building muscle in surplus

All weight movement is a combination of fat, muscle and water
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

CDC, WHO and others suggest 10-35% of daily calories from protein. I aim for 30% because I'm looking to maintain/gain muscle. As a 200 pound male eating 2700 calories a day that works to very close to a gram a pound.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I know that, as I said in my OP, I'm losing weight at a good rate of loss already. Looking at my macros is about my general health, I want to make sure I'm getting the optimal amount of nutrients in my calorie allowance. I'm not even managing 50g of protein a day at the moment so even on your scale I need to eat more. It's Probably just a hangover from high carb veganism that has got me out of the habit of protein rich foods.