How often do you eat treats?

I'm not yet at maintaining, but I'm down 108lbs, with the help of WLS.

I eat healthy most of the time and I exercise 5-6 days a week (running, step class and aquafit).

How often do you treat yourself? Sweets, treats, pastries, fast food etc. Once a month? Week? Day?

Just curious what is "normal" for most people who are at their goal weight. Sometimes I have a small treat each day but then I feel like it's too much and I should aim for once a week... I want to keep the weight off but I don't want to restrict to the point that I start needing to eat more junk than necessary.

Replies

• OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    Twice a week I have a small amount of popcorn. I add a tablespoon of tiny chocolate chips to my yogurt twice a week also.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Every day!

Today's fun food is snapea crisps & chocolate! I am going to have about 380 calories.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I'm not even at my goal yet, I'm still losing, but throughout my whole weight loss process I've had dessert every single day. I just make sure everything fits within my calorie limit. For me, life's to short to not enjoy dessert, and I love food, lol

Ditto for me ... I have always made room, even if it is just a square of Ghiradelli dark chocolate. Once a week, I would fit in a "real" dessert like a piece of cheesecake or something of that nature ... I LOVE food and it is an experience for me so it was important to make sure I fit in the calories for those little treats.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    omg I am so relieved to hear this. I was afraid you would all say once a week! Since my stomach is smaller I have small portions and the treats are usually 200-300 calories. I probably get an oh-so-good 800 calorie treat once or twice a month and eat it over 2 days.

Thanks so much!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2016
    I can typically spare 200-300 calories a day. Once in a while I have a 800 calorie treat.

Unfortunately I can't spare very much because I'm always hungry, and as I'm not willing to give them up... that's why I'm still not at my goal weight, lol.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Daily or more often.

(Been at this for about four years now, down 95 lbs.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Daily or more often!
    Remember treats have nutrition too..... :)

Well, it depends what. It's easier for me to fit in 600 calories of pizza than a 600 calorie pastry for sure.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Depends on the size of the treat. If we make 'Klondike bar' the operative definition (for size, caloric content, etc.) of 'treat' then...about 1 or 2 a day. I try not to go over 300 calories worth of junk food per day.
  • Jelly_Beaner
    Jelly_Beaner Posts: 61 Member
    I eat a goodie every night, but whatever it is I'm eating I'll only eat half... personally helps me with my cravings.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Every day, and have had a treat every day since 2 months in to MFP.
    I fit it in to my daily calories. I wouldn't have made it to almost 3 years on maintenance with out my daily treat.(lost over 1/2 of my current body weight)
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Daily or more often!
    Remember treats have nutrition too..... :)

Exactly! All the protein and calcium in ice cream is good for me ;)
  • 1stgardengirl
    1stgardengirl Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have to be on a gluten free diet, eat very little sugar and am allergic to artificial sweetener (gluten intolerant, hypoglycemic). So, even before dieting, I ate very little junk food. So my snacks are things like gf crackers with peanut butter and plain yogurt with frozen fruit, nuts and granola. However, I do understand that people want to include their favorite foods. I think you need to establish a calorie percentage limit on junk food. If you see the junk food calories, as a percentage of your total daily calories rise too high, that's when a better balance is needed. That way you can ensure you are getting the proper nutrition from the rest of your foods, and you have a good handle on snacks. Then you can feel good about eating your treats!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Daily. Life is too short to be an ascetic.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I treat myself when I have the calories left after I hit my protein goal for the day. I lift weights for fun and good health. The protein is more important for building my muscles than ice cream or a glass of wine.