How often do you eat treats?

Replies

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    i guess it depends on what qualifies as a treat. For me, one oreo, or sugar-free pudding serving is nothing but sadness. I'll happily forgo those every day of the month in order to eat one whole pastry from a local bakery with a cappuccino in a real mug once a month, or a big steak on the grill, or those coconut banana pancakes with syrup I had last month on a Saturday morning. But you have to figure out what purpose a treat serves for you. Is it so you can occasionally eat something luxurious and calorific? Is it so you get one taste of something sweet or greasy every day? It depends on your needs and goals.
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Yes daily for me too...although if I know I am having meals which are high in calories I skip the treats!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Daily, although the treats might be something like cereal, or cheese, or summer sausage, or a fiber one or oat bar. I do also have ice cream, etc. when I feel like it. I leave 200-400 calories open for what I feel like.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    I'm kind of a picky eater. Sort of. I like lots of different foods, and I'm willing to try new things, but if I don't really like something and I eat it anyway, I just still feel hungry and go crazy until I eat something else. So I pretty much eat something enjoyable at every single meal. Not necessarily something "bad" for me, I consider fruit a real treat, but I couldn't go a whole day without eating something really yummy! I always keep fruit and kettle corn on hand to eat pretty much daily; I plan to have frozen taquitos, hot pockets, or similar for lunch a couple times a week; I occasionally buy myself a candy bar in the evenings. I drink diet soda pretty much any time I feel like it. I have a McDonald's right by my house -- literally within walking distance, and I pass it almost every time I leave the house -- and I eat there too often. :tongue: As long as these things fit in my calories, I have them! And I'm still a few pounds away from maintenance. When I get there, I will have even more calories than I do now!
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    x_Vicky_x_86 Posts: 37 Member
    I have one every day, maybe more than one, so long as I keep within calories, makes it so much more fun/easier when you aren't totally strict.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I actually eat dessert now most nights than I ever have when I was fat.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    Most of the time pretty much everything I eat is a treat. I won't use calories up on uninteresting. bland, boring tastless food.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    In my opinion you have to relook at the way you're approaching this for this to be successful you can't deny stuff that you like cuz eventually going to Crave it and you're going to fail. As long as it fits within my caloric daily goal I eat it

I still have Wendy's hamburgers beer and pizza. If I had to give up the things I enjoy I don't think I could have succeeded the way I did over the past 8 months
  • Teresa_Yvette
    Teresa_Yvette Posts: 7 Member
    Daily BUT I've found replacements for most things I see as treats. For example ice cream = frozen fruit topped and plain greek yogurt flavored with vanilla and sweetened with equal, etc.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Have something. A 40 calorie piece of dark chocolate, or 300 calories of Ben and Jerry’s. Depending on what fits, at first it's 40 calories.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    edited August 2016
    Daily BUT I've found replacements for most things I see as treats. For example ice cream = frozen fruit topped and plain greek yogurt flavored with vanilla and sweetened with equal, etc.

Ditto.

"Treats" for me have changed. And they are smaller - like 1/2 a dark sea salt chocolate bar, not a large movie theatre bag of peanut M&Ms (although I can always be talked into splitting one, or a single-serving pack). I'm much pickier about baked goods, too. It's got to be fully worth it.

I'm currently into a daily goodpops premium sea salt "fudgesicle". I pre-log it each morning, which really helps - it's budgeted for and something I know I can look forward to. It can help keep me on track because if I don't stick to my macros as planned, it may get the axe.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    300-400 calories of my 2100 maintenance calories go on treats every single day :smiley:
    chocolate/pastries/desserts.... or whatever I jolly well fancy :smiley:
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Pretty much every day I have a small chocolate bar (less than 200cals) and small packet of crisps (potato chips for US guys) which will be less than 100 calories. Possibly even a cookie or brownie if it's a workout day and I have extra calories. On my Sunday cheat day I will have a dessert after my meal but most the time I'll still manage to stay under my calories for the day.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Every day, in some form. At of the time though I will have just a small bite of someone else's treat here and there, haha . 99% of the time it's my kids treats
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I have a sweet protein bar most days (Clif Builder Bars), I have a heaping teaspoon of sugar in my tea/coffee, and I have sweetened yogurt. I haven't bought them in a while but I was having a Fibre One product most days too. Sometimes a square or two of dark chocolate. Beyond that it is occasion specific, once or twice a month.
  • laur371
    laur371 Posts: 2 Member
    Multiple times a day (and I stick strictly to 1100-1200 calories a day). Every day consists of ice cream (120 cals), cheese (100 cals), sometimes a chocolate ball (75 cals). I just budget it in! My meals are all lean meats and veggies without grains/pasta, so I leave many calories for snacks. Down 40 lbs at a rate of 2lbs per week.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Don't worry -- the Dessert Demon won't haul you away to Diet Hell if you have a treat. I've lightened up on lunch and snacks during the day so I'll have more calories later for dessert.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I think everyone has to work it out for themselves, as these posts demonstrate. It is rare that a day goes by that I don't have some kind of treat and it always fits into my calories. However, the longer I am in maintenance, the less those treats are really sugary or really fatty. I can't eat that way any more. So my treats tend to be maybe a kind of bread or popcorn or something that isn't all that nutritious, but satisfies the urge.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I have a little dark chocolate (50-75 calories) nearly every evening.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Everyday. In maintenance and while I was losing 80 pounds.

Gourmet pizza every Friday, ice cream, sorbet, a lolly/popsicle or two, a square or two of rich dark chocolate, homemade caramel popcorn, some jello or something homemade like a mug cake or a small individual apple crisp.

When I tried losing weight in the past I would go hardcore and cut things out and then binge on whatever I was missing sometime later.

Once I learned I can fit treats in just be aware of the calorie count made all of the difference for me.