How often do you eat treats?

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited August 2016
    Most nights I try and save 450 calories for a treat if I can! Usually 400 is for something I've been craving and then 50 is for half a serving of quest protein powder blended so I'm a little more satiated after eating whatever it is and don't go back for more ;)
    EDIT: I maintain on 1,600, so a day looks like this:
    Breakfast - 400
    Light lunch/snack - 160
    Light snack - 90
    Dinner - 500
    Dessert + Shake - 450
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    Too often!
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Several per week. If I deny them too much then eventually I'll go nuts and eat too many!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Every day. Most meals in fact.
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    I'm not yet at maintaining, but I'm down 108lbs, with the help of WLS.

I eat healthy most of the time and I exercise 5-6 days a week (running, step class and aquafit).

How often do you treat yourself? Sweets, treats, pastries, fast food etc. Once a month? Week? Day?

Just curious what is "normal" for most people who are at their goal weight. Sometimes I have a small treat each day but then I feel like it's too much and I should aim for once a week... I want to keep the weight off but I don't want to restrict to the point that I start needing to eat more junk than necessary.

Errrrrrmmmm ..... Everyday!!! I allow cals so I can have some chocolate everyday usually in the evening after dinner! I did whilst I dieted and now on maintaince
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Once a week
  • debrahbeger
    debrahbeger Posts: 34 Member
    Reading all of this is awesome!!!! I am constantly wondering how normal people eat.... I went from always gaining weight.... then I finally buckled down and lost weight, but I never really maintained!!! Now that I am, I don't know how people do it! And I am so relieved to hear that people treat themselves almost daily. I always feel so bad of i just eat like one oreo of half a serving of Chips (even if it does fit in my daily calories) Thanks guys!!!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    A Dark Chocolate Klondike Bar is 250 calories. I try, and usually succeed, in fitting one in a day. Either that or something else that fits.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Every day for me as well! I ate treats everyday during my 90 pound weight loss too.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    140 cal of dark chocolate two or three times a week and 400-800 cal dessert once a week, so every other day. I have fruit everyday, which I like even better than the chocolates and I should think about that, but nobody is taking away my weekly extra large serving of dessert.

Chips, fries, and other high calorie salty snacks I limit to special occasions out with friends. I don't like them as much and yet I will still eat a whole bag in a sitting so I don't bother buying them for myself.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Daily.....
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    I am doing ADF so I get to treat myself 2-3x per week. Love it.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    unlimited pork rinds and pickles. Every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've been maintaining for over three years with no logging...I don't have any rules for how often I have treats...I do eat a very nutritious diet for the most part and I cook from scratch at home most of the time and basically have a "treat" when I feel like having a "treat". Maintenance is pretty easy when you're good livin' most of the time...eating well and exercising on the regular.

The only thing I really watch with some vigilance is eating out. We have pizza night once per month and that's it...I'd love to do them more often, but I don't tend to do well with just having a slice or two and eating out in general I don't do well with eating only part of my meal...so I just regulate how often I do these things and cook at home mostly and brown bag breakfast and lunch.

• bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Daily! A few cookies here, a waffle there, pb, jelly, etc now bigger ones only Saturday and Sunday a dounut, pizza, or burger and fries maybe cheesecake, but nothing crazy and I always TRACK ;)
    I did it while losing and now to maintain, it keeps me sane...
  • davidmartinez66
    davidmartinez66 Posts: 92 Member
    Every day. Usually Jell-O, no sugar added pudding with some fruit and TruWhip topping, sometimes I make banana ice cream in the ninja, and tomorrow I am eating cake, yes real cake. My birthday was Wednesday, will be celebrating my birthday with my family with cake and dinner out, I haven't had real cake in some time. I would suggest that people allow themselves to have treats, cannot avoid them forever and like dark chocolate, has some value nutritionally. Just account for it in your logging, it's okay!

Another treat choice is Halo Top ice cream if you can find it, I have found it at Whole Foods, half a pint is 120 calories, suggestion, put it in a bowl and let it melt some, it becomes more creamy.
  • shesthetype
    shesthetype Posts: 45 Member
    Once a week I have a grilled chicken burger and spud fries from Burger Fuel (It's like a much healthier fresher version of your average takeaway burger place). I have 2 squares of stevia dark chocolate every day as part of my meal plan too so that kind of feels like a treat. I don't actually eat any real junky type foods because I used to have a big problem with binge eating and even a small amount of processed sugar or McDonalds etc will trigger the urge to eat way too much. Like an alcoholic, I just have to avoid it because it's too addictive for me. I don't feel like I'm missing out though because I really enjoy my healthier versions of stuff and junk food only ever makes me feel unwell, physically and mentally.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    if it fits into your daily macros you can have treats every day
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I definitely eat less nutrition-dense but tasty things regularly, probably close to every day in maintenance, usually by picking something that fits in my calories and perhaps fills in some macros (ice cream is a nice way to top off slightly-short protein if I have a couple hundred calories, for example).

But a key thing to me is that, as a matter of routine, I don't eat foods I don't enjoy. Throughout weight loss, I've been trying to optimize my eating so that it's a good balance of nutrition, satiation, and tastiness. I kept reviewing my diary regularly, and foods that weren't pulling their weight got eliminated (or reduced) in favor of other things I enjoy that better met those objectives. This involved trying and incorporating some new foods, too.

Then, by the time I got to a small, coasting-into-maintenance deficit, my nutrition was pretty much on point, and I was eating things to get there that I really liked, and found filling. In maintenance, most days, I have those calories between the final deficit & my maintenance to spend on some less nutrition-dense items, if I choose.

Besides that, on a routine day, I'm eating just a tad below my maintenance estimate, so once a week or so I can splurge a little on some higher-calorie item(s) and come out even.

It's working so far!