Can we settle this calorie debate???

Options

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Motions28 wrote: »
    If MFP says my goal is 1500 calories, and I burn 600 calories, should I be eating a total of 2100 calories? Or get my 1500? I've been told both by friends on here. I don't use a food scale every time so I adjust for variage counting. I would love to get a definitive answer on this. Thanks in advance....

Just 1500. I don't know why people on here think they should eat back their exercise calories when even the mfp dietician says you shouldn't. And people on here wonder why they have a hard time losing weight, jeez...

Oh no, it's you again. You come into every thread about exercise calories and write this. Every time I see you, I write how wrong you are and how much I dislike seeing you post. Stop doing this already. You have disordered thinking as evidenced by your profile and old username; you shouldn't be allowed to offer advice to anyone about weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For those who have a strength training routine, do you eat back those calories?

I've seen many heavy lifters on here say they don't even bother logging it?

MFP gives me like 198 calories for 1 hour of lifting, should I eat those calories back?
    @ummijaaz560
    Yes I do. It's impossible to measure so the MFP estimate based on METS and body weight is good enough to be reasonable.
    It's probably way under for me as I tend to lift a fairly high volume of weight in my session.

A lot of the "lifters" on here don't do a lot of cardio and might use the TDEE method which includes an average amount. So they are eating back exercise calories but a daily average instead of on the day of exercise.
    I do a load of cardio so prefer the MFP method.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Uh, from her blog:

Now if you’re trying to lose weight, chances are you’ll be on the hungry side even without exercising since MyFitnessPal’s weight loss calorie goals are calculated independent of exercise. The upside to this is that those exercise calories become a “bonus”–so if your workout leaves you feeling a bit hungry afterwards, by all means you should enjoy the bump in calories and eat something. (Just read the 5 tips below beforehand to make the most of them!)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

That doesn't say you shouldn't eat back your exercise calories. It gives some common sense advice on when to eat them for the average dieter. Have you actually read it?
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For those who have a strength training routine, do you eat back those calories?

I've seen many heavy lifters on here say they don't even bother logging it?

MFP gives me like 198 calories for 1 hour of lifting, should I eat those calories back?

Try eating the calories back for a while and compare to how you feel/ lose weight.

I eat all my calories back and I feel like my body needs that energy to recover.
    If I don't I feel more sluggish, but I am not good at handling large deficits.

• ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great advice on seeing how eating the lifting calories goes!

Especially since my lifts suffer a bit being in a 500 calorie deficit.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You are supposed to eat exercise calories with MFP. That is how it is set up.
    The numbers may not be precise though.
    Some people choose to eat only a portion of the exercise calories to account for errors in calorie burn estimates. That works pretty well for most people.
    Some people choose to eat none of their exercise calories. I feel that is unnecessary personally.and could lead to unhealthy undereating if you are pretty active.

^^^This!^^^

If you are chronically hungry and tired, eat. If you feel good and are losing at an appropriate amount per week, don't, or eat half.
    I log steps only most of the time even though I have a fairly active job. Most days it's fine but sometimez, after an especially busy day I will add an hour or so of activity to my log. If I can tell when I need the extra by how I feel. Too many days of undereating in a row and I am tired, dragging and grouchy. Not a great combo for a housekeeper working with other staff and paying guests.
  • etherial1
    etherial1 Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think in order to get an accurate answer, you should ask a professional who has studied your type of diet. We're all laypeople here who, through trial and error, either pass or fail. Some of us completely abandon our prospective diet once a goal weight is reached. You get that?

Now, here's my take on it: Do not eat anything back. You need to be calorie deficient in order to lose weight. There! My opinion only. You can adjust your calories once you're in maintenance.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

@seekingdaintiness From the dietician -

3. Remember, the calories you eat and exercise off are estimations, and we’re more likely to overestimate calories burned from exercise. If hunger hits between meals, start slow–particularly if you’re trying to lose or maintain your weight. Begin by eat back a percentage of your exercise calories (say, 50%) rather than all of them, and see how you feel in 20-30 minutes.
  • Motions28
    Motions28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone with their feedback. Was very helpful and insightful. Out of curiosity is there a cheap way to find my body fat number? Maybe something I could do on my own?
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    etherial1 wrote: »
    Now, here's my take on it: Do not eat anything back. You need to be calorie deficient in order to lose weight. There! My opinion only. You can adjust your calories once you're in maintenance.

You're already in a calorie deficit if you eat the calories MFP gives you. Eating back exercise calories doesn't make that original deficit magically disappear, unless you're grossly miscalculating something.
  • vetkoek11
    vetkoek11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food is very important - there is a reason why MFP has a food diary and the fat, protein and carbs for just about everything you can buy that goes in the mouth - when you freehand pour olive oil and think it's only 5ml, its probably double or even more! Things like oils and nuts are high in calories and being a few mil/grams over will add a lot of calories. I personally don't use exercise calories because I am disabled and my exercise options are limited but I do what I can, however, outside of the exercises I do, I spend most of my time in a chair so I'm not burning more calories from walking to the shops, doing lots of active housework, etc. I think the more active you are, the more likely you would need those extra calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    etherial1 wrote: »
    What if you're STILL in calorie deficit when you eat calories back though? Are you saying there won't be weight loss?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone with their feedback. Was very helpful and insightful. Out of curiosity is there a cheap way to find my body fat number? Maybe something I could do on my own?

Now you are opening a can of worms. I use a higher end BIA scale but you'll find many vocal posters here hate that method. The cheapest is using body tape measurements and calipers to measure skin folds. You need to do multiple measurements at each location and average them or something. More sites improve the accuracy, but it is difficult to get consistent results. There are lots of online calculators.

I'm going to get a DEXA scan in about a week. However that is costing me $125. With I know how much my BF% is changing I don't know the base value very closely.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    If MFP says my goal is 1500 calories, and I burn 600 calories, should I be eating a total of 2100 calories? Or get my 1500? I've been told both by friends on here. I don't use a food scale every time so I adjust for variage counting. I would love to get a definitive answer on this. Thanks in advance....

You can give yourself the definite answer on this in about 6 weeks time. Choose one way or the other but stay consistent on whether or not you are going to eat your exercise calories or not. Log your calories eaten and your weight loss over that period of time. Work out your TDEE bearing in mind that for each pound lost you are adding 3500 to the total calorie intake. If you have lost more or less than expected, adjust your intake!

The only problem with this is if your possible deficit is rather extreme and causing LBM loss, including muscle mass.

Muscle as energy source is only 600 cal / lb.

When you do it also matters - and you MUST have knowledge of all the reasons for fast water weight gain and loss - obviously water has weight but no calories - so that throws the whole 3500/lb out the window.

Example:
    First week dieter - losses 4 lbs eating at was was thought to be 1000 cal deficit - eating 1400.
    So is this actually correct - 4 x 3500 / 7 days = 2000 deficit, so TDEE was really 3400?

No, of course not - everyone should realize first week or two of water weight drop.

Ok - dieter 8 weeks in has family reunion and eats 2800 of picnic dinner - gains 4 lbs total that week, actually overnight but still in the weekly weigh-ins.
    4 x 3500 / 7 days = 2000 surplus average daily for week - so TDEE is really average eaten 1600 - 2000 = negative 400?

No, of course not - everyone should realize you eat at maintenance or above and at the least carb/water storage increases, and likely sodium water retained in this case too.

Same with big lifting workouts and repair water retained.

Just saying - it's decent formula if used correctly - but unless someone knows all the caveats - you could easily chase an already too low goal even lower and make matters worse.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    OP: Check these links here on MFP, for fun - they seem like something a math guy could love.

MFP Data Export Tool - The Overview

Getting your personalized calorie burn formula

Weight loss is just a giant, fun real-world science-fair project for grown-ups, if you ask me. Those (and some of the info linked in them) play into that view.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Great advice on seeing how eating the lifting calories goes!

Especially since my lifts suffer a bit being in a 500 calorie deficit.

Yeah, I tried not eating mine back because they were small anyway (the lifting calories - I was eating the larger rowing/spinning calories). But I found myself hungrier the day after, so I started spending those calories, or most of them, on some (oversimplifying) extra carbs before and/or protein after, even though I was already getting reasonable protein. I felt better.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, i think I'll just stick to estimating lol

Excuse me for thinking that a few minutes of basic arithmetic to make use of all the data from the logging I do anyway is a small price to pay for actually knowing what results I should really expect based on how much I'm eating, rather than going on forever losing two pounds for every one pound MFP tells me I will lose.

Or don't excuse me. I don't see anything to apologize for in being able to calculate an average. And I don't see anything funny about it ("lol"). Shaming people (especially women) for being able to do arithmetic is wrong on so many levels.

Shaming? If anything, i was shaming myself for being hopeless at math! I very much admire your arithmetic skills, If i had the patience and nous to work it out for myself i would, but alas I am not mathematically minded. @lynn_glenmont I apologise for offending you, that was absolutely not my intention, quite the opposite in fact.

ETA: I hated math when i was in school, and i dislike it to this day, and i'm not ashamed to admit it, it is what it is! I do well in other things, and have gotten through life just fine :smiley:

I'm sorry that I misinterpreted. It seems to be very common (in the U.S. anyway) to treat basic arithmetic as something too hard for ordinary folks to do (and, by extension, to mock anyone who can do basic arithmetic as a number-swotting geek). That in turn discourages students from putting any effort into math classes, and it's no wonder we don't have enough people trained for jobs in STEM fields, or the ability to deal with numbers in non-STEM jobs or in their daily lives.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I do not exercise every day so I do not have the extra calories everyday. But, when I do have the extra calories I can have a little extra food or I can eat out. At times, I have at least 200 calories unused each day. I need to do a graph on this...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Just 1500. I don't know why people on here think they should eat back their exercise calories when even the mfp dietician says you shouldn't. And people on here wonder why they have a hard time losing weight, jeez...

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/

That doesn't say what you seem to think it says:
    For the average exerciser trying to lose or maintain weight (i.e. someone who burns an additional 200-500 calories a few times per week), exercise calories don’t make up a significant portion of overall calorie burn, generally in the 1500-2200 per day range. Unless you’re exercising at a moderate to high intensity for an hour or more, several times a week, or are actively trying to gain weight, you most likely don’t need to be worried about eating all of those calories back.

The main reason is this: It’s easy, and fairly common to overestimate calorie burn (both from everyday activity and from exercise) and underestimate calorie consumption. By going out of your way to eat back every calorie you expend during exercise, you may unintentionally undermine your efforts to lose or maintain your weight. Additionally, you could be overriding your body’s hunger cues if you don’t feel particularly keen for those exercise calories but eat (or drink) them back them anyway. your body isn’t telling you it needs fuel, it’s best to save your exercise calories for when you want them–say, for an unexpected hunger pang or a weekend treat meal with friends.

Now if you’re trying to lose weight, chances are you’ll be on the hungry side even without exercising since MyFitnessPal’s weight loss calorie goals are calculated independent of exercise. The upside to this is that those exercise calories become a “bonus”–so if your workout leaves you feeling a bit hungry afterwards, by all means you should enjoy the bump in calories and eat something. [emphasis added]

So, to sum up, don't go out of your way to eat all your exercise calories back, especially if you're only doing a moderate amount of exercise. If you're not hungry, save them for when you are hungry or when you want a treat that doesn't fit your regular calorie goal. If you are hungry after your workout, go ahead and eat.

Not exactly "the mfp dietician says you shouldn't" eat back your exercise calories.