Couch to 5K (start 4/4/11)

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just restarted week 4 after completing it a week and a half ago. I had surgery on my head and wasn't able to work out. I feel absolutely horrible after completing w4d1. I will try not to have any breaks in my workout. I wasn't able to complete the full run of week 4.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I just restarted week 4 after completing it a week and a half ago. I had surgery on my head and wasn't able to work out. I feel absolutely horrible after completing w4d1. I will try not to have any breaks in my workout. I wasn't able to complete the full run of week 4.

Don't you worry...surgery always takes a lot out of you, even when it feels like it doesn't. Your body will bounce back and you'll be running up all those hills full force in no time at all!
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    I'm back and running again just finished w2D1. I started over
  • ALW65
    Options
    I'm glad you're back, but everyone else has gone some place else I guess! I'm starting w5 this weekend and I'm looking forward to it!
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Congrats... Yea it appears everyone has left. Well we can still support each other.
  • iamfred71
    iamfred71 Posts: 3
    Options
    Let me tell you, I love Couch to 5K. I just finished week 5! I had to learn that I could slow down the pace to get the runs in. I started out thinking that if I ran harder, it would help me. I tried to do 6.0 mph but when I got to the longer runs it nearly killed me. I dropped back to 5.3 mph and I just finished a 20 minute run tonight! Running Rocks!!! I love it!
  • iamfred71
    iamfred71 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had a bad run a couple of weeks ago where I couldn't complete it. I just saved it and did it the next time. I did some research on better ways to breath and what speed I should be running at. I actually had a run that felt good. Important thing is, if you can't complete a run, don't give up. Just save it and do it again the next time. You'll get there!!! Week 4 has some 5 minute runs I believe. Just think about where you were 2 months ago. I know 2 months ago, the idea of running 2 minutes was horrible. Perseverence is the key to success. Give your body a rest, give it another try, and you will be surprised by the results.
  • ALW65
    Options
    I did W5D1 today in the pouring rain - I was totally soaked when I got home but felt so proud for making all 3 of the 5 minute runs. I really had to push to get through the last one (especially after dinner at a buffet) but I made it :bigsmile:
    Thanks for the encouragement Fred!
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Nice run I'm proud of you. I just completed w2 d3 again and I add a week1 run after the cool down. So my wife and I are completing two runs a day. Now this won't continue when we do week 3 next week, I felt that I needed to run a little more because I really wasn't winded. I started the program over because I felt I had to much of a break from my surgery and vacation. I can't wait to get where you are again.
  • bluemoon_2425
    Options
    Hi there! I just completed W1D3 today and then did 45 minutes of Zumba afterwards. I have to say, I was shocked when my calves felt better when I was running instead of walking! I walked at 3.8 and ran at 5.2...I just walked a 5K this past Saturday and tried to jog on Sunday outside. My calves were ON FIRE! I guess there really is a huge difference between running on a treadmill and outside! Yikes! It is my goal to run a 5K in October! :) Keep up the good work everyone!!
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm still here, but I've kind of let the podcasts slide with doing it with my daughter and the weather being rubbish. We've got our 5k run for cancer research on the 3rd July, so we're going out once a week training but that's all we seem to be able to fit in round school, work etc. Once the race is done and I can go out without her in tow I think I'll do a bit better!

So we've not been using the podcasts, just walking for 5 mins to warm up then jogging for as long as we can, recovering by walking a minute or two and then jogging aggain. The time before last we did a 10 min jog then another 4 minute one, and I'm pretty pleased with that. Hayfever and astma haven't really been helping either of us either.

Now I've posted this I'm going to make a point of fitting in another run on my own and see how much I can actually do when I don't have to wait for her! Maybe pick up at week 4 as I think that's where we were up to - the one with the 2 x 8 min and 2 x 5 min anyway. Going to zumba a couple of times a week seems to have helped my stamina too.
  • ALW65
    Options
    Hi All!

@Cutiger that's great that you added more time on. I was so excited about almost making the two 8 minute runs last night. It actually seems like it's getting easier to make the transitions to longer times, which is a good thing. You'll be caught up to me again in no time, and you're probably still running on all those hills!

@bluemoon I notice I'm more crampy in my calves when I walk, too. When I run I tend to feel a burn in the back of my leg between the ankle area and the base of the calf muscle. I can't recall the name of the muscle there, but something's really working out in that area!

@louiseei I'm so glad you and your daughter are doing well with your times. It sounds like you'll be able to complete the 5K and have decent times, too! Our weather has been pretty decent, so I can't complain. I did run in pouring rain one day because I really wanted to run....I can't believe I'M saying that!
  • jdavis87
    jdavis87 Posts: 4
    Options
    Im on week 3 and Love it!!
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Yes, I'm still running on these hills. LOL
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25k in April, but had an injury so haven't run since 15th May (my 5K race, which I did in 29.36 so very pleased with myself).

Anyway, I'm doing the 30DS at the moment as a get back into exercise and I'll be rejoining C25K at week 5 (which I think is the week with 2 8 minute runs and a 20 minute run if I remember properly).

Hope everyone is still enjoying it.
  • ALW65
    Options
    I just finished W5D2 with the two 8 minute runs and made it through both :happy:
    When I did it two days ago I made 8 minutes and 7 minutes, so I'm feeling pretty happy.
    I think I'll attempt the 20 minute run either tomorrow (if I'm feeling pretty good and can carve out the time) or on Saturday. I don't know that I can make 20 straight, but I'm sure I can do more than 8, and that's pretty exciting from a former couch lady!

Eviesmum I'm glad you did so well with your race - that's an excellent time! The 30DS will certainly get you back in gear, and yes, you've remembered week 5 all too well!
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Just finished w3d1 on hills. The first 3 minutes was straight up hill before a slight leveling out. I was almost completely spent but I pushed through. The second three minutes was a breeze on level ground. I feel good because after running my wife and I walked about another 15 minutes back to our home. Afterward we did the nike ab workout on our iphones for 15 minutes. I can tell you that I feel an ab poking out from beneath the flab....lol.

(ALW65) Great work... I'm so happy for you but yet so jealous. I only hope I can achieve that type of run. I'm now down from 304 to 287 so this C25k and MFP really works. I just need you to help me stay motivated.
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Just finished running and walking a total or three miles. I love C25k